Scandal in the House of Titan

2AM Confessional

It is nearly 2AM. I am tucked into my bed, alone. Alex is visiting his parents. I call Molly.

“Grace, I’m so sorry.”

“I forgive you. I heard you defend me and you did not have to do that.”

“Yes, I did. Dee shows no mercy. She would tear you apart. You’re the newest member of the house. She would have booted you.”

Silence

“Grace, you mean a lot to me. You’re my first and only daughter and I love you so much and I want you to be successful like I know you can be. I just… I don’t know how it got to be like this. You’re a cute kid, but Stephen… and ten years… and I’m a forever queen and… I couldn’t resist temptation. I am really disappointed in myself.”

She sounds like she is crying.

“Molly, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s a weird situation and I should not have talked you into it. I feel terrible. I cheated on Alex for fuck’s sake. I don’t know what to do about that! And… you’re so hot Molls. I couldn’t help myself crushing on you. I—“

“Gracie, calm down. What do you want out of this?”

“I… I don’t know. A return to normalcy? But a little piece of me wants to kiss you again.”

Molly sighs.

“It was really nice… but if we stop now, we can go back to normal a lot easier. Forget any of this ever happened…”

“But I don’t think I want to forget.”

“Grace.”

“No, listen. I felt something with you that I don’t feel with Alex.”

“Grace, stop.”

“It took over my whole body.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t just gas or something?”

“Molly, seriously. I felt… powerful… confident.”

“Sounds like an Oedipus complex.”

I know Molly well enough to know that she cracks jokes when she is nervous and avoiding something. Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out a way to get her to confront the thing she is avoiding.

“Just think about what I’ve said. Make of it what you will.”

I sigh, feeling defeated.

“Is Alex with you tonight?”

“No… he’s in Minnesota for the week.”

“Can I come over?”

“Where’s Stephen?”

“His cousin is getting married in Pittsburgh.”

“You didn’t go with him?”

“It’s his dad’s side of the family.”

Stephen’s dad grew up super Christian and hasn’t allowed his now 31 year-old son to come out to extended family. He barely tolerates Stephen because Molly does drag, which makes Stephen seem straighter somehow…

“When can you be here?”

“Fifteen minutes.”

Molly hangs up. I look down at my phone. She’ll be here at 2:45AM… Nothing good could possibly happen at this hour.