Ivory Skies

Understanding

Chapter Eight

Aunt Kyla comes into the kitchen with hair a mess and dressed in a robe. It was a shock for Ivory to see. “Would you like some coffee, Aunt Kyla? I'm making breakfast it should be done soon.”
“When did you learn to cook?” Ivory stares at her aunt for a moments and then shrugs. “Aunt Kyla, don't you remember? You taught me how when I was thirteen..”
“Oh right.. right.. Hope it's improved since then.” Ivory turns away so Aunt Kyla can't see the tears forming. “You still seeing that boy? I'm telling you that boy is trouble, Ivory. I'd get rid of him I were you.”
“Well, you're not me and I'm glad for that. You just don't like Dan because he put you in your place and anyone who challenges you is a brat to you.”
Aunt Kyla shrugs and Ivory serves the food. “I wasn't always so horrible to you, was I?”
“No, we've had some good times,” Ivory says and sits down to eat.
“How's it going? Being in show business?”
“It's still odd.”
“Seems that there is one positive of you dating that boy.” Without waiting for Ivory to question Aunt Kyla smiles and says. “Your personality has seemed to have changed. Honestly, I didn't care too much for that snooty attitude of yours.”
“Says the women who has mistreated me!” Ivory shouts and then gets up. “Don't you think I regret the way I've treated you, Ivory? Why do you think I'm here? I'm here for a fresh start.”
Ivory nods then goes to shower. She had to be at the studio in an hour. Ivory had been disappointed when Dan didn't stop by to see her.
On the way out of the studio, Melody bumps into Ivory. “Oh, hello, Ivory. Hope you're doing better, dear,” Melody says and takes off.
Don't let her get to you, Ivory,” Ivory tells herself. Once she gets home, her aunt was holding the magazine again. “Put that darn thing away!”
Aunt Kyla looks from her to the article. “I know we've never really been close, Ivory, but I am worried about you.”
“I'm fine, okay? I promise you don't have to worry about me. If people want to make up rumors about me, it's their problem and they have no lives,” Ivory says not believing it. She'd thought by now that the rumor of her eating disorder would die down. What are they going to say next? Ivory shuts off the light and goes to bed.