Jump

Day: 753

My mind wanders to the car accident that caused her memory loss, but I am distracted as she whimpers in her sleep. I bend down to pick her up and carry her to the bed. She opens her eyes as I set her on down. I turn to exit the room when she whispers, “Please don’t leave me alone.”

“I’ll be right back. I’m just going to put the fire out.” I reply and she nods.

When I return to my room, she has back towards me. I shut the bedroom door and climb into bed with her. She turns to face me, and smiles softly. It was the first time I had seen her smile in weeks.

“You have kind eyes.” She says and reaches for my cheek. I offer a smile in return. “Can I kiss you?” She asks shyly.

I respond by placing my lips on hers. Her lips are soft and dry. The soft peck quickly turns passionate. I let her take control. She’s moving quickly, climbing on top of me and straddling waist. She removes her dress, and my shirt. I grab her wrists, stopping her for a moment.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” I ask and she nods. I let go of her wrists and she continues.

~

I lie still, watching her chest rise and fall. She fell asleep shortly after. It was the first time in months. It made me miss her, the person she used to be. She always had so much passion to share.

I reach under the mattress and pull out my old journal. She hated pictures, and we only had one together. I open the journal and the picture falls onto my chest, I pick it up. It’s a Polaroid of the two of us. She bought the camera on a whim, she wanted to be a photographer. That dream only lasted about a month, but I kept every photo she took.

Most of them were of flowers, the ocean, trees. She loved nature. But I took her camera, and made her sit with me. She hated the picture, she thought she looked goofy, with her big toothy smile. But I loved it, she looked just as beautiful as ever.

A single tear drips down my cheek. I wipe it away, then tuck the picture back into my journal and put the journal back under my mattress.