A Change of Pace

Plans

“Shaylee is so looking forward to seeing you!” Aunt Margaret exclaims excitedly. “It’s been far too long since you’ve spent time together.”

Thalia looks out the town car window, watching the tall buildings pass by. She hadn’t seen her cousin in over four years, and they weren’t in the best place when she left the city. Thalia had unknowingly kissed the boy that Shaylee spent all summer crushing on and Shaylee was none too happy about it, but they were thirteen at the time. Shaylee had always been one to hold a grudge, but Thalia was hoping her cousin would forgive her for a mistake made four years ago.

The town car approaches the tall building that homes Margaret’s penthouse. Thalia waits patiently as the driver opens her door. She peers up at the tall building ahead of her as she climbs out of the car. Thalia grew up in Seattle, WA, but the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NY was like entering a different world.

“Come, love. Let’s get out of this cold weather.” Margaret says, placing a bony arm around Thalia’s shoulders. She leads her inside and to the elevator, which takes them up sixteen flights of stairs. The elevator opens right into the penthouse, something Thalia was not used to. She was, however, unsurprised by the luxuriousness of the giant apartment. Her family came from very old money, and though she grew up being wealthy, it was never quite as showy as her extended family.

“Shaylee, say hello to your cousin.” Margaret chirps as they walk into living room. Shaylee was seated on the couch next to a young man. She turns to face them and Thalia almost doesn’t recognize her. Her hair was long and brown. She was always very pretty, but finally grew into her plump lips and no longer carried the same boyish frame.

“Oh, hello Thalia.” She says with a warm smile. Thalia shifts uncomfortably. Shaylee sounded nice, though her eyes told a different story.

“Shaylee, it’s so nice to see you!” Thalia says and offers Shaylee a hug. Shaylee turns, acting as though she hadn’t noticed the gesture, and grabs the arm of the boy sitting next to her.

“You remember Parker, right?” She asks with a devious smile.

“Uh, yeah.” Thalia stammers. Parker. How could she not remember Parker? She couldn’t believe Shaylee was finally dating him after crushing on him for years. Seems she could forgive him, so she must have forgiven her cousin too, right? “Hi.” Thalia says with a small wave. He nods in her direction.

“Shaylee, why don’t you should Thalia to her room?” Margaret offers while pouring herself a glass of wine.

“Sure.” Shaylee says with a smile. Thalia follows her up a curve staircase and down a long hall. “This will be your room.” She says pushing the door open.

The room was very plain. White paint covered the bare walls. The floor was a white marble that filled the rest of the house. There was a queen size bed in the middle of the room, fitted with white sheets and a white duvet. There was a white vanity to the right side of the room. The left were two large windows, covered by white curtains.

“It’s lovely, thank you.” Thalia says with a smile.

“Mom decorated it, even though I told her not to. I figured you’d want to change it anyway.”

“Maybe add a little color?” Thalia jokes, but Shaylee is unmoved.

“Charles should be bringing your things up soon.” Shaylee says stepping closer to Thalia. “And in case you’re wondering, no. I haven’t forgotten what you did.” She says, her eyes shooting daggers. Thalia steps back, unable to say anything. Was she really mad about a kiss? A kiss that happened over four years ago?

“I-uh-I-“

“Right. Well he’s mine now. So you better stay far away from him. And me for that matter. We might be cousins, but we are not friends.” Shaylee says before turning on her heel and leaving the room, her heels clicking loudly on the marble.

This is going to be a long year for Thalia Sinclair.
♠ ♠ ♠