My Way Home Is Through You

The Ride Up

"Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends. Baba ba, baba ba. We all get together and we bury our friends. Baba ba baba ba..."

Ziggy's voice wasn't bad. Okay, scratch that. It was sexy as hell. Throaty and high like a passionate moan.

"What exactly are you singing?" Larken asked to distract herself. They were talking the elevator up a couple of floors to the Charles River Suite. It wasn't the biggest room in the hotel, but 800 plus feet was nothing to turn your nose up at. Her sloppy companion probably made decent money to afford such a good view.

"You don't know who I am, do you?" He piped up as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open.

"This is your floor," Larken said ignoring his question. She really didn't care who he was. Just another entitled VIP that thought their money could buy them anything.

Ziggy didn't budge from his corner of the elevator as he looked her up and down and said thoughtfully, "I guess it makes sense. You don't really look the type to listen to my music. "

Larken took the bait against her better judgement and asked,"So what type do I look?"

He arched a brow and hit the hold button to keep the elevator from going down again. "You sure that you want me to answer that?"

She raised a hand and said,"You know what I really don't. Your room is all the way down the hall on the right. Have a fantastic night."

"See it's as I suspected," he mocked. "You're scared. Just a little brown mouse of a girl in a sensible pant suit. Don't you ever get the itch to be spontaneous?"

Ziggy came dangerously close to invading Larken's bubble. Feeling as scared as he told her she was, Larken ducked out of the elevator and into the hall. She was willing to take the stairs down to escape him and his taunting remarks.

"Running away little mouse?" He asked and she heard his footsteps behind her.

Turning Larken snapped, "I'm going back to work. This is my job. I am paid to be professional no matter how demanding a guest is. Now if you'll excuse me, my coffee is downstairs getting cold "

"Holy shit, she can speak," he gasped as his hands raised up in feigned shock.

She can also kick asshole, Larken thought. If he came any closer, her knee was aiming straight for his balls. They were outlined clearly enough in those ridiculous pants.

The tension between them was suddenly snapped when a hallway door burst open and a dark hair guy shouted,"Gerard, what the fuck man? You get the room with the view. I know your the " popular one" and all, but I call bullshit,"

So Ziggy's real name was Gerard. It was not what Larken expected. It sounded so common and approachable. The man standing next to her was obviously neither.

Gerard shot his dark hair friend the bird and shouted, (way too loudly for 2:00 in the morning) "Quit being a bitch, Frankie and go to bed."

Frankie obviously took no offense to the insult. He shook his head with a smile on his face and replied, "Well I'm bored. Couldn't find any cute girls to keep me company. Who's your friend?"

She smelled the alcohol on his breath as Gerard leaned in closer to her and said," Oh this little mouse? She'd never be friends with a guy like me. She was just leading my drunk ass to my room. You know the one with the great fucking view."

Frankie chuckled and looked sympathetically in Larken's direction. "Sorry little girl," he said, " My friend is having a rough night. Don't take it to personally and I'll put in a good word with your boss."

Larken nodded tightly and monouvered around Gerard to the now empty elevator. She hit the button to bring her down to the ground floor and ignored the two men staring at her. Whatever they were thinking didn't matter.