Status: Unfinished

Pine Trees

Undone

“You’re not doing it right.” He says reaching for the camera in my hand but I quickly pull it away.

“Let me figure it out!” I whine and he laughs at me.

“It would take me all of two seconds to show you.”

“Fine.” I groan and hand him the camera.

“Come look.” He says, and grabs the sleeve of my sweater to pull me over. “This is how you focus it.” He says playing with the gadgets. How could I focus standing so close to him? He smells of Irish Spring, and just the slightest hint of lavender.

“I think I got it,” I say and reach for the camera. He quickly pulls it away, then puts it up to his eye and snaps a picture. I cross my arms and glare at him, but he just continues to take pictures.

“I want pictures of the trees, not of me!” I complain. He respond with laughter, then finally hands me the camera.

“Fine, but I want pictures of you.” He says and reaches for his camera, which is hanging from his neck.

“Why?” I question. He shrugs, then turns the camera on and aims it at me. “No!” I shout and turn to run away.

“Oh, come on!” He says and chases after me, snapping pictures that I imagine will come out blurry. “You know, someone as clumsy as you probably shouldn’t be running through the woods.” He says, and I turn to look at him, still running.

Boy did he call it. Moments later I’m tripping over an exposed root, dropping my camera in the dirt and landing in a small creek. Jude bursts out in laughter before walking towards me.

“What did I say?” He asks, standing over me. He takes this moment to snap a picture as I glare up at him.

“Are you going to help me up?” I ask.

“Fine.” He answers and reaches his out toward me. I clasp my hand in his and use all of my strength to pull him into the creek next to me. “You know, I should’ve seen that coming.” He says while checking to see if his camera got wet.

“Kind of what you get for being a dick.” I gloat, hoping to irritate him, but it only makes me laugh. I let out a long sigh of defeat, and Jude stares at me. His chocolate brown eyes are soft. His mouth twitches into a small smile.

“What?” I ask, a little creeped out by his attempt at a smile.

“You’re weird.” He says.

I frown. “Thanks I guess.”

“I like it.” He says and reaches his hand to my cheek, brushing a strand of stray hair out of my face. I resist the urge to pull away, knowing what he is thinking.

And just like that, his lips are on mine. They’re soft, and his breath is warm. I had only ever kissed one other person. His name was Dean and were twelve. It was a dare, and it last mere seconds. I had never had a boyfriend, or been with someone in any way. I let him lead, trying to match his movements. It’s sloppy at first, but we eventually find a nice rhythm and the kiss seems to last forever. He finally pulls away and I’m left with nothing but the warm summer air.

“We should probably get out of the water.” Jude suggests. I had forgot we were still sitting in the small creek. He stands up, then helps me to my feet. “So are you still wanting to take pictures?” He asks as he hands me my camera. I dust the dirt off of it, and shake my head no.

“You’re pretty quiet.” He says with a small smirk. I shrug and put the camera strap around my neck. My mind is still back at the creek, thinking of only the kiss. My mouth is unable to speak words.

I follow him through the woods back to his van. We get in, and he starts the engine, immediately turning on the A/C. “Are you okay?” He asks, and his voice actually sounds genuine.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I say and offer a small smile.

“Oh my god.” He says and starts laughing.

“What?” I ask, suddenly feeling very self-conscious.

“You’ve never been kissed.” He says, still laughing.

“I have too!” I argue and he raises a brow at me. “Okay, it might have been in sixth grade, but it still counts.” I pout. Jude starts laughing again and I slap his arm. “It’s not funny! It’s not like I have a whole lot of choices here.”

“That’s for sure…” He says finally pulling out onto the road and driving back to the William’s. I reach for the door handle when he speaks up again. “Do you want me to take you home?” He asks.

“I live five minutes from here. And I don’t need you laughing at me more.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you feel bad.” He apologizes. “Just don’t come by too many people like you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I mean you either have no idea how beautiful you are, or you don’t care. Either way, it’s refreshing.”

“Well, thanks I guess?” I say as I get out of the van.

“It was definitely not an insult.” He says as we walk up to the front gate. I wheel my bike onto the sidewalk, but Jude steps out in front of me.

“Let me walk you home.” He says, grabbing the handlebars of my bike.

“Fine.” I agree. He smiles in return, the pulls my back, so he’s walking it instead of me. “How old are you?” I ask.

“Twenty. You?”

“Nineteen.”

“Where are you from?”

“Well, I was born in Seattle, Washington and that’s where most of my immediate family live. But for the past couple years, I’ve been living in California with my uncle.” He says.

“What do your parents due?”

“My dad is a lawyer, my mom is a nurse. What about yours?”

“My dad owns a construction company, and I don’t really know what my mom’s up to these days. She left us about a year ago.”

“Wow, I’m sorry.”

“I’m not. She’s a toxic person, only caring about herself. My dad is a lot better off without her.” I say. “This is me,” I gesture to my house as we approach it.

“Can I take you out tomorrow?” Jude asks as I push open the wooden gate. He sets my bike next to the front porch steps.

“Like a date?”

“Yes, dummy.” He says with a chuckle.

“I guess. What did you have in mind?”

“It’s a surprise.”

“I don’t like surprises.” I say and cross my arms across my chest.

“Doesn’t that suck?” He teases. I roll my eyes. “Come here.” He says, tugging on the sleeve of my sweater. I step towards him and he places his hand around my neck, pulling my face closer to his until our lips are touching once again. He’s quite a bit taller than me, and I have to stand on my toes to reach him.

The porch light flickers on, and the front door lock clicks. We quickly step away from each other as my dad opens the front door.

“Dad…” I groan with an eye roll. There was no need for him to check up on me.

“Hi Logan.” He says with an eyebrow raise. “And who is this?” He asks.

Jude walks up the front porch step to shake hands with my dad. “I’m Jude.” He says.

“How come I’ve never seen you around here before?”

“I’m just visiting with my grandparents for a couple weeks.” He says. My dad stares at him, expecting more.

“He’s Ellie’s son” I say, stepping up to join them on the on the porch.

“Ah,” Dad finally says. “A great family.” He says with a smile and an approving nod.

“I would like to take your daughter out, tomorrow evening.” Jude says. Is he really asking my father’s permission?

“Oh, really?” Dad says, turning his attention to me. “And what did she say?”

“I said yes.” I reply, shooting my dad a glare.

“It’s settled then. We’ll see you tomorrow.” Dad says.

“Sure, seven?” Jude asks. I nod and my dad puts his arm around my shoulder, leading me inside.

“You, on a date?” My dad says laughing. I glare at him.

“Is that really so shocking?!”

“You’ve never brought a boy around, so yes, it is a little shocking!”

“The guys around here are boring.” I explain.

“Well he seemed nice.”

“You’ve met him once…”

“Are you saying he’s not nice?”

“I’m not saying anything!” I say giving up. “I’m going to bed.”

My dad chuckles at me. “Alright, goodnight.” He says. I head downstairs to my room, and flop onto my bed. I lie there, thinking about today and smile to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Four chapters in, wouldn't mind a little feedback? Just wondering if I should continue or not. Would love to hear what you think!