Status: Unfinished

Pine Trees

Way Down We Go

We start our journey out of small town Bozeman, Montana, heading through Idaho to Seattle, WA. Jude says it should only take about a day if we keep our stops short. It would save a lot of time if I knew how to drive, but I had never needed to learn, so I never did.

“Okay, so we’re going to be staying with your sister in Seattle, Jaylin right?”

“Just for tonight. We’ll be staying with my parents in Oak Harbor for the rest of the week.” He says. His thumb makes like circles on the back of my hand as we drive through the mountains.

“And Jaylin is married to Henry, right? And they have a six year old daughter, Brooklyn?”

“Yes, Henry. But their daughter is Bridgette, or Brie.”

“Ugh, that’s right.” I say throwing my hands up in frustration.

“You don’t need to remember all of their names!” Jude says, laughing at me.

“I know, but I want to.” I sigh. Ever since my mom left, it’s only ever been me and Dad. Jude’s family is huge. They’re the people who made Jude who he is today, and I am determined to know them all.

“My mom is Kathy, she’s a nurse. And my dad, Kevin, is a lawyer.”

“That’s the easy part…”

“That’s the only family I have in Washington, so that’s all you need to know for now.”

“What about your friends?’

“Yeah we’ll get to that when you meet them…”

I roll my eyes, he can be so vague sometimes. “Fine. Ooh, look! A rest stop, which is great because I definitely need to pee.”

“We’ve only been driving for – wow, less than two hours!”

“Yeah, but I drank all that coffee.”

♠ ♠ ♠


“Do I look okay?” I ask, tugging on my hem of my shirt.

“Stop, you look fine.” Jude says and kisses my forehead. He presses the buzzer again.

“Hello?” The voice coos through the speaker.

“Hi, it’s me!” Jude says.

“Ah!” The voice squeals and the heavy steel door unlocks. Jude pushes the door open and we go inside. I follow him up four flights of stairs and round a corner.

“Jude!” The same voice calls from down the hall. Moments later he is being pounced on by a small brown haired girl.

“Jeez Jay!” Jude says and he hugs his older sister. You would never guess they were related just by looking at them. Jude is tall while his sister is very short in comparison. Her chocolate brown hair sits in a messy bun on top of her head. She’s wearing thick square framed glasses that rest just above the tip of her nose. She’s wearing black leggings and an oversized white, silk, button down shirt, the sleeves rolled up to her elbows. She definitely looks like a mom.

“Jay, this is my girlfriend, Logan.” Jude says, introducing me. “And Logan, my crazy sister Jaylin.”

I stick my hand out towards her. She looks at it and laughs. “Oh, I’m a hugger!” She says and quickly embraces me in a tight hug. Jude laughs at the expression of awkward that spreads across my face. His laugh makes me giggle, and Jay releases me form her tight grasp. “And please, call me Jay.”

“Henry’s inside with Brie.” Jay says, sticking her thumb out towards the hall behind her. “He’s looking forward to some much needed guy time.” She says and leads the way down the hall. I follow close behind her, and Jude behind me. “The house is a bit of a mess right now, but I figure you won’t complain unless you want to help clean.”

“We’re going to be living in a van for the next couple of months, I think a messy apartment is something we can deal with.” Jude teases, pinching my butt cheek and making me jump. Jay gives me a funny look opening the door. I slap Jude on the shoulder before following her inside, he just laughs.

“Hey hey, look who I found.” Jay says. As we follow her into the living room. Henry and Brie are sitting on the floor coloring in books. She had to be kidding when she said the place was a mess. It’s an older apartment. There’s a combination of exposed brick and clean white walls, the floors a dark wood. The room is decorated with white leather furniture and a large white rug covers the majority of the living room. Plants and books fill almost every open surface. I assume she meant mess by the coloring books and pencils that littered the white rug.

“Jude!” The small girl yells as she jumps up and runs to Jude, jumping into his arms. She looks just like Jay, sharing the same small frame and chocolate brown hair.

“Hey little cutie.” Jude says, holding the youngster in his arms.

Henry stands, and introduces himself to me. He actually shakes my hand.

“You guys have a lovely home.” I say with a kind smile.

“Oh, she’s so sweet!” Jay says, pinching Jude’s arm. “Jude, go put your bags in the guest room. Logan, you can help me get some snacks.” I nod as I hand Jude my backpack and follow Jay into the kitchen, which is no less extraordinary than the living room. The kitchen is tucked around a wall, and though is a bit small, is very nice. The appliances are all stainless steel, and the counters are a dark grey cement.

“Okay, I bought a few different cheeses, crackers, and meats to snack on before dinner. Here’s a cutting board, and a knife, will you do the meats? I’ll do the cheeses.”

“Sure.” I say with a smile and begin unwrapping the stick of salami.

“So how did you and Jude meet?” Jay asks as she cuts into a chunk of cheese.

“Actually through your grandmother, Ellie.” I start while cutting rounds of salami. “I’ve been cleaning their house twice a week since last summer. We kind of just ran into each other, though if I know Ellie at all, I’d have to say she planned the whole thing.”

“She does seem to have quite the sense for matchmaking.” Jay says nodding towards Henry.

“Did she introduce you two as well?”

“Grandma Ellie doesn’t outright ‘introduce’ people. She puts you into a situation where she knows you’ll meet, and lets you do the rest.”

“So how did you two officially meet?”

“Well, Henry worked at the hotel we frequented when we vacationed in the Hampton's. He actually worked there for a couple of the summers we spent there…Anyway, Ellie was very convincing, and got the hotel to allow us into the pool after hours. One night she had ‘accidentally’ closed the door when leaving the pool, locking me in there, knowing very well who would be the one to come to my rescue.

Just as planned, he came to my rescue. I offered to take him out to drinks as a thanks. We hit it off, he was in school at the time, and only working to pay his way through school. Ellie’s a sneaky old lady, but she definitely know what she’s doing. I trust I’ll be seeing you around even after this summer.”

“Wow, that’s amazing. And I’m hoping so too.” I reply with a silly smile.