Status: Complete

Long Live Us

Our Song Has Not Been Song, So Long Live Us

Cascading through the large dining room windows were the warm rays of the spring sunlight. It flooded the suburban esque house that was tucked away into a small grove of trees a couple hundred feet from the main road. The home was picked out especially for the family that now occupied it as their safe haven and a proud example and their new start with the promise it held inside. Furnished beautifully with a touch of expense but without making it seem like nothing more than a showroom. Anyone could walk in and feel that love was the center of this home. Photos of friends and family were placed perfectly upon on all the walls. Each bedroom had it’s own specific color theme with matching pillows and duvets. Fresh flowers were set upon almost every table in the home and through the French doors you could see the neatly kept garden and glittering water of the pool. All action in the house on the this early Monday morning, if you call ten early, was occurring in the kitchen. The ticking of nails were quickly shuffling back and forth as two dogs rushed back and forth after their master.

“Baz, Peyton, come on I already filled your bowls.” The master in question spoke to the animals as he closed the fridge door once more, setting out cartons of strawberries and blueberries. Alex looked down at the dogs who merely sat there with their heads cocked up. “Okay, okay. You each get one piece alright?” The dogs seemed to understand as they got up on all fours, tails wagging and running around the man’s legs. Alex giggled and reached over to get some of the bacon that had already been fried before tossing it on the outer side of the kitchen, watching the dogs chase after it.

Alex went back to cooking and soon the house began to be filled with the mouthwatering aroma of breakfast. Pancakes were being flipped, more bacon was being fried, and juice was being poured. The tv hummed quietly in the background but went ignored by Alex as he hummed to himself while moving about the kitchen. Soon though a sound caught his attention and he began to smile. He reached down to wipe his hands off on his apron, he finally learned to wear one after ruining too many good outfits, even his sleep clothes weren't safe. Beneath the apron he wore a simple white t shirt and skinny jeans, for going both shoes and socks as he was inside. Turning around his heart was filled with an indescribable joy and love.

Standing on the bottom step of the staircase wiping the remainder of sleep from her eyes was a small, five year old girl. Feeling she had done what she could, she removed her hands from her eyes blinking slowly but revealing large perfectly almond shaped chocolate brown eyes. Her hair was the same light brown shade as Alex’s reaching almost to her waist with the slightest of waves to it. She wore pink and purple pajamas that had shooting stars, rainbows, and planets on them. The little girl brought her thumb to her mouth to bite at her nail while her other hand twirled the end of her hair around her finger
“Whatcha doing Daddy?”

“Making pancakes. Wanna help Sea Sea?”

“Duh!” The little girl ran over to Alex who was crouched down waiting with open arms. He spun her around as he kissed her cheeks before setting her down upon the counter.He moved some of the ingredients around to show her what he was doing. Picking up a blueberry, he popped one in his mouth. She opened her mouth in return as a sign to be fed one, Alex did so before speaking.

“Well Sydney, I already made some pancakes but I didn’t know what would be better. Ones with strawberry or with blueberry? Whatever we don’t use can go to the side or we can use next time.”

The girl looked back and forth between the two fruits before turning a puppy dog eye look to her dad.

“What’s that look for baby girl?”

“How about we make chocolate chip pancakes!” She said giggling, moving her hands in front of her mouth.

“Well that wasn’t an option now was it?”

“Pretty pretty please!” Sydney begged. “With sugar on top!”

Alex pretended to contemplate the choice before letting out a fake heavy sigh. “I guess so. But-” he said, halting the girl’s claps of happiness, “you have to give me that sugar first.”

Alex puckered his lips out and Sydney followed suit before making a loud “mwah” sound. He bopped her nose and then went in search of the chocolate chips from the pantry.

The two cooked the pancakes. This of course was not an easy task because you can’t just cook pancakes in this house, oh no. The pair started off cooking but then went into their disney duets, Can You Feel The Love Tonight was always a winner. After that followed the dance break where Alex would twirl his daughter around the room and she would dance while standing on his feet, pretending to waltz. Of course, what is cooking without some flour flicking here and there where even the dogs get involved. Eventually the food got done and the island bar was set for three. As the last plate was set down the front door began to open.
“Baba!” Sydney gasped before shuffling herself as best she could from the bar stool onto the floor, sprinting towards the door.

“There’s my princess!” Jack said cheerfully, hardly able to close the door before the little girl was attached to his leg. He picked her up, placing her upon his hip. “This one is from Nana Barakat.” He kissed her right cheek,”And this one is from Grandpa Barakat” He kissed her left cheek, “This one is from me!” He kissed her nose and she began to giggle once more.

“Baba! I made breakfast with Daddy!” She told her other dad excitedly, gripping onto the lapel of his jacket.

“Did you really!” Jack gasped. “I’m so proud of you princess” He kissed her head before walking further into the house and to the kitchen. The dogs ran around his feet, happy to see their other owner return. Jack walked back over to the bar and set Sydney down in the middle seat before walking over to Alex. While his daughter had ran to see Jack, Alex had taken off the apron and moved the dirty dishes to the sink.

“Well hello there Mr.Barakat.” Alex spoke, “How are your parents?”

“Still alive so that's good!” Alex scoffed and nudged Jack with his shoulder. “You sure have been busy this morning my little housewife.”

“Ha ha, you’re so funny.”

“I know I am. Come on we both know domesticity suits you. I find it utterly adorable on you Mr. Barakat.” As much as Alex will get him back later for that comment, he can’t stop his smile and the heart flutter that follows at hearing himself be referred to as Mr.Barakat. It only took them ten years to get there, but who's counting. Alex leaned into give Jack a quick kiss before pulling back. Jack pouted at him and Alex could instantly see where their daughter gets the puppy dog eyes from, but then again it’s not like Alex could say anything. Jack may always look like a puppy dog, but that princess pout to get what she wants comes from the former mr. Gaskarth and he knows it. Pretty damn proud of it to.

“Let’s eat before it gets cold mister.” He gave him another kiss before walking to the stool on the left of their daughter who had already started eating while her parents talked. Jack went to the other seat, placed his jacket on the back of it, and then sat down to eat. The trio talked about how Jack’s parents wanted to see their grand daughter again and they figured with the weather being so nice they should just have a get together at their home with the new grill. Both sets of parents could see their granddaughter and Jack and Alex could see some friends again.

“Uncle Ri, Aunt Cass, and Uncle Zee will be there too right?” Sydney question as she dipped the last part of her pancake into the remaining syrup covering her plate. She brought the fork to her mouth, very ungraceful shoving the larger than anticipated bite of food inside, coating her face with uneaten syrup. Alex shook his head with a smile, grabbing a napkin and reaching towards his daughter.

“Of course sweetie.” He said while cleaning her mouth. “They wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Aunt Cass wants to take you out shopping later this week for school clothes” Jack told the now syrupless girl. “How does that sound?”

Fun fun fun!” She said clapping her hands. Sydney had turned five in February. She was a Valentine’s day baby and that meant that the upcoming fall she would start kindergarten much to her parents dismay, more so Alex. Rian and Cassadee had got married about two years after Alex and Jack. Ever since Alex and Jack were able to adopt Sydney she had not only been the apple of their eyes but of a new Mrs.Dawson as well. ‘Uncle Ze’ also had promised to take the little girl on a summer trip to Hawaii before school began. The young girl was spoiled more than she even knew.

“You know what I think we should do today?”

“What’s that babe?” Alex asked before downing the last of his orange juice.

“We should take a family trip to the zoo!”

“Can we, can we, can we!” Sydney exclaimed, moving onto her knees to reach more of her dad’s height. “ I wanna see the, the elephants! And the monkeys!” She turned to Alex to see if her daddy agreed to her baba’s proposal.

“I think that is a great idea.” Alex leaned over to kiss Jack again, but this time Jack held him in place and let the kiss go longer. Alex squeaked and tried to pull back but when he felt the quick swipe of a tongue against his bottom lip he relaxed and let Jack continue. He soon felt a poking at his chin and looked down to see Sydney with a pout on her face.

“Hey, that’s not cool!” She told her parents. They both smiled at their little girl but then looked at each other with a mischievous eye.

“I think someone is a little jealous Jay.”

“I think you are right Alex. Someone else wants to have all of the kisses!”

Alex and Jack both wrapped their arms around their daughter, keeping her in place as they began to attack her with kisses all over her head and face. Sydney could do nothing but laugh and squirm as she knew she couldn’t get out of their girp. When they stopped, the trio was out of breath from laughing and giving kisses. Jack picked their daughter up and set her on the floor.

“Go get dressed for the zoo and then we will leave, okay princess?”

“Otay!” With that she was running up the stairs and into her room, doing her best to attempt to get ready quickly. As quickly as any indecisive five year old can.

Alex collected their dishes and moved them to the sink. Jack came up behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist, placing his head on the shorter man’s shoulder.

“Do we have to let her go to school?” Alex sighed. “Can’t she just come on tour with us?”

Once the couple had not only gotten married but had adopted Sydney the four bands members came to an agreement to go on a quick hiatus as their situation was different then most. Normally it’s only one band parent with the partner being back home but for Jack and Alex they were both in the band. Now with Sydney being able to be at school for most of the day and not needing Jack and Alex as much as as she did as an infant they were able to focus on the band again. Neither wanted to leave her but Alex was taking it harder than Jack. He did tend to be the more emotional one, don’t even get him started when he is drunk. The couple wasn’t going to be leaving Baltimore until about a month into Sydney’s schooling. Both of their parents had agreed to take turns with Sydney while they started to fly to California and back to record their newest album. They were hoping to get the bulk of it done before the major holidays hit, or at least be able to fly back for them. After that the record could potentially drop early Summer and then they could figure out an early Spring tour after that.

“You know as well as I do that as great as that sounds it would be the worst idea in the world. Our crew is family but you know the road is no place for a five year old little girl. Plus, we would get nothing done if we had to take care of her all the time.”

“But she already loves everyone we work with! It;s like you said we are family she will be fine-”

“Alex, baby come on. Just take a second to breathe and think about it. We knew this was coming and we have planned day and night for it. We have even talked about it with Sydney.”

“Yeah but she doesn’t really know yet. She isn’t going to know until it’s not just a few days we don’t come back, it turns into a month and then another and another. She’s going to be crying and we won’t get to talk to her that often. She is going to grow up hating us Jack! Haring us!” Alex turned around in Jack’s arms to bury his face in the younger man’s neck.

“Do you really believe that?”

“...no” Alex sniffled. “I just don’t want her to think we are leaving her on purpose that’s all.”

“She won’t baby. Look, “ Jack moved back to look Alex in the eyes, he grabbed his husbands hands and held them in his, rubbing the back of his knuckles with his thumbs. “We still have the whole Summer to be with our little girl before we have to go anywhere. Let’s enjoy this time now and then we can work out any other tiny details alter alright?”

“You’re right, you’re right.” Alex admitted, removing his hands from Jack to wipe at the corner of his eyes from momentarily tearing up. ‘Let;s go take our baby girl to the zoo and buy her another stuffed animal that she doesn’t need.”

“That’s what I like to hear!” Jack kissed his husband. He pulled back quickly to glance at the staircase before reaching his face down to Alex’s ear. “And as much time as I want to spend with our daughter, I think you and I deserve some alone time when we fly out to California if you know what I mean.” Jack wiggled his eyebrows while Alex laughed.

“Well if we do fly out when we plan to it will be on our six year wedding anniversary and I think that is plenty reason to celebrate.” Alex told his husband as he trailed his hands down Jack’s chest before fiddling with the top of the of his jeans. Jack’s eyes wided and he smirked.

“I think-”
“Daddy! Baba! I’m ready! Elephants, elephants!” Sydney called out as she ran down the stairs and went to wait by the front door for her dads.

Jack let out a breathe through his nose, not mad at his little girl oh no, just a little frustrated downstairs. It had been a few months since he and Alex had a full night to themselves without having to act like teenagers worried that their mom could walk in at any moment. Alex kissed Jack’s cheek before whispering in his ear.

“The zoo is pretty exhausting place. Ten bucks she falls asleep in the car on the way back.” He winked at Jack.

“Oh you are on!”

Jack kissed him one more time, before going to grab his jacket from his previous seat. He grabbed Alex’s hand and went towards their daughter, getting keys and wallet on the way. Alex bent down to pick up Sydney and the family made their way outside to the car for a family outing at the zoo. With maybe a little something a little less than family friendly that night.