Status: In progress

Serafina

Chapter 1: Not Fitting In

Serafina watched as elves danced. She was plain and uneducated in social and political matters. She didn’t wear cherry reds or royal blues, only shades of greens. Her hair wasn’t fiery or wavy, just straight and down her back.
Serafina was well educated in animals, plants, and weather. She escalated down the tree and put up her hood to leave the party. She heard someone follow, but didn’t hesitate.
She found a young fawn stuck in some branches with a bullet wound near its thigh. A hunter was approaching. She drew a dagger and disarmed the hunter. The hunter struggled then ran away without his gun. She helped the fawn out of the bushes while soothing it with her voice. Then she made an ointment to heal the wound. She dug out the bullet, still trying to soothe the traumatized animal. Once the bullet was out, she stitched the fawn up and put the ointment on it.
“That was amazing work,” a brown eyed fellow came out in the sun. “Where did you learn such courage and healing powers?”
“I taught myself.” She laughed a little when the fawn licked her face and trotted off.
“Do you not have a mentor who taught you this?”
“No, I did not nor ever had one.”
“What about your family?”
“They passed on eons ago. They were sick and never were healed.”
“I’m sorry for your loss.”
Serafina packed up and went on her way. He followed. He had gold designs on his suit and cloak. She sighed in annoyance. She tried losing him a couple times, but didn’t. He kept a good pace but didn’t come too close. Finally, she stopped and faced him, arms crossed.
Before she could say anything he ran into her and their lips touched for a brief moment. He didn’t seem ashamed. Serafina was more than upset. She tried kicking him, punching, fighting him. He dodge her every move. He grinned and laughed. Finally, he grabbed both her wrists and looked in her eyes.
“You fight well also, what other treasures do you hide?” He asked smoothly.
“If I wanted you to know, you would’ve been informed.” She shook him off.
“Come now, why sudden distaste? I have done you no ill will.”
“You showed interest in a commoner.”
“Elves can marry whomever they wish. Just because I have royal blood, doesn’t mean I must marry that way.”
“What are you getting at?”
“I merely want to get to know you. Elves can marry any other elves,” he leaned against a tree with his arms folded. “You have intrigued my interest and I wish to know more.”
“Why me?”
“Why not? You seem very intelligent and compassionate.”
She would not fall in love. Especially with someone of a higher blood. “Thank you for your time, now please return to wherever you are from.”
He continued to follow her. “Why are so against me? What did I do to deserve this unpleasant attitude?”
“Forgive me, it’s not you, it is anyone of a higher blood.”
His eyes softened. He looked down at his boots.
“I am not good at being social at parties or know of political problems. I dislike what I can’t understand.”
“Did any royals mistreat you or your family?”
He seemed genuinely concerned. His eyes were softened. She was taken away from his sincerity and kindness.
“No, all I remember was not being able to afford medication and potions for their sickness. It was not the royals fault.”
“I feel it is. They could’ve given you more money, or put prices down. They could’ve bought you the ingredients for the ointment or let you go and find some. They could’ve helped in many ways. It is unjust of them to stood by and done nothing.”
“We were not treated poorly, everyone was having difficult times. My parents wouldn’t want me to hate those who could’ve done something but didn’t. If I focused on only negative, I would become cross and untrustworthy. I would become one of those people that I wished had done something.”
“Forgive me, I was speaking out of turn.”
“As did I. We can’t change the past, we can only move forward.”
He bit his lip. “I was hoping you could join me on my quest.”
“What does this quest imply?”
“I want there to be no more levels of royalty and townsfolk. I want everyone to be equal. I believe we can accomplish this by informing everyone and trying to have equality in all.”