Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous

Chapter 29

“Morning, Lexy,” Jack grinned leaning against the neighboring locker.

“Hey,” I grinned back, shutting my locker. It was strange suddenly having things back to normal.

He flung his arm around my shoulders, leading me away to my first class. I bit the inside of my cheek trying not to jump at the sudden movement, but I’m sure he felt me tense. “I’m sorry, should I not…?” Well, almost normal.

I shook my head. “No, it’s fine. I’m just going to need some warning for a little while.”

He nodded. “Sorry I scared you,” he mumbled.

I sighed. “No, don’t be. It’s just, it’s gonna take some time, Jay.”

“OH MY GOD!”

We both looked up to see Lzzy, Rian, and Cas – along with everyone who’d heard them yell – staring at us. Suddenly it felt like my first day again, so I subconsciously tucked myself further into Jack’s side. He didn’t mind.

Lzzy squealed one more time before running at us for a group hug. “My boys, together at last!”

Rian sighed. “Christ, Liz, they became friends again, they didn’t get married.”

“You can get on with your lives now,” Cassadee sassed the onlookers, who quickly dispersed.

Lzzy pulled back suddenly. “You two did get back together, right?”

“You two were together in the first place?” Rian arched an eyebrow.

“Oh, keep up,” Cas tutted.

“So?” Lzzy pressed.

“Take it easy.” Jack rolled his eyes before turning to me. “You ok?” he asked softly.

He was trying, and that meant everything to me. “Yeah, I’m good, just,” I waved my hands around, gesturing to the empty spaces where people had crammed to see what was happening, then folding them around my torso when I realized it wasn’t helping. “I’m good.”

“You’ve got to be back together,” Lzzy pestered again.

I thought Jack would get angry, but he just sighed. “Lzzy we’re not really-“

“We’re working on it,” I decided.

I saw the corners of Jack’s lips turn up as he dropped his gaze to the floor, desperate to hide the pink on his cheeks.

The five-minute bell shrieked, saving us from any more awkward explanations as Rian, Cas, and Lzzy dashed off to their classes. Jack lingered, looking a little torn and a lot unsure, so I took initiative.

I pecked his cheek quickly. “I’ll see you in History?”

He broke out into a wide grin. “Of course.”

I let out a breath as I flopped into my seat for homeroom. There was a weight off my chest, knowing Jack and I would be ok.

Jack:
I felt like I was flying. Every time he smiled at me I was so consumed with joy I thought could cry.

And every time he flinched away from me I, honestly, thought I would.

I wasn’t sure how he’d forgiven me, because I hadn’t forgiven myself. It was a constant battle of wanting to kiss him, and knowing that if I tried it might be too much for him. It was hard, and I knew it was harder for him because he was reliving a dark past he’d thought he’d left behind, but, god, it was hard.

I had said I would do anything to have him back, though, and I meant it, so I would give him as much time, as much space, as much warning as he needed because he was worth it. He was worth this, and so, so much more, but it was still hard.

“Jack!”

My head snapped up to Lzzy who was sat across the lunch table from me. “Hmm?”

She rolled her eyes. “I asked if you guys wanted to go tonight, you oblivious twat.”

“Oh, um…” I nudged Alex and relayed the question.

He shot me a small smile. “Nah, not tonight. We have plans.”

I arched an eyebrow. “We do?” He just giggled, the tip of his tongue poking out at me before continuing his conversation. I turned back to Lzzy. “I guess not?”

She laughed. “I believe the sounds of makeup sex will resonate from the walls of the Barakat home tonight.”

I chuckled, but shook my head. I couldn’t even take his hand without him flinching, there was no way we were ready for anything like sex.

“Comin’ Jay?”

I blinked to find people filling out of the room and Alex waiting for me, books in hand. “Oh, um, yeah.” I grabbed my things and followed the crowds out of the cafeteria. I must have slipped back into the daze that seemed to overtake my thoughts all day, because I was pulled out of it again as Alex laced his hand with mine.

“You ok? You seem kinda out of it,” he noted, a touch of concern in his eyes.

I nodded. “I’m fine, just…a lot’s happened. I think I’m still processing everything,” I squeezed his hand, “especially this, ugh, us.” I shrugged, keeping my eyes on the floor.

He sighed. “Chin up, Jack.” I obeyed, lifting my head. He grinned. “There, that’s a good start.”

Last period passed in a blur, and before I knew it Alex gave me another kiss goodbye on the cheek, telling me he’d meet me at my house after he dropped Tom at home. I simply agreed and trudged off to pick up May. I was waiting in a sea of parents, my mind wandering to why Alex wanted to stay in tonight, when one of them cleared their throat, catching my attention.

“I don’t mean to pry,” the mother next to me began, batting her eyelashes. Oh God, not this again. “but are you a single parent?”

I coughed. “I’m, ugh-“ I was nearly thrown to the ground when May ran at me, attaching herself to my waist. I chuckled. “I’m her older brother.”

The mother flushed. “Oh! I’m so sorry, I, um,” her rolled back shoulders curved in again. “Have a nice day, then,” she rushed, ushering her son away.

May looked up at me confused. “Why where you talking to David’s mommy?”

I laughed. “No reason. Let’s go home, beautiful. I don’t want to leave Alex waiting too long.”

Her eyes lit up as we walked back to the car. “Alex is coming over again?!”

I laughed, again. “Yes, he is. Why are you so surprised?”

“I thought that Alex wouldn’t come back. He was gone for a long time.”

I sighed, buckling her in and taking a breath before mumbling, “Yeah, I know.”

The car ride home was never quiet, and that day was no exception. May babbled on about her day, and her friends, and how excited she was to see Alex again. When I pulled into my driveway Alex slid out of his car and waltzed over to mine, causing May to squeal and fumble to get her seat belt off before jumping out of the car to hug him. I chuckled as I stepped out, leaning around my sister to give Alex a quick kiss on the cheek. He carried May as we made our way out of the cold because she absolutely refused to let him go.

“Come on, love, you need to take your coat off,” Alex laughed, trying to put her down.

“No!” she whined.

“Yes! Down you go!” He placed her on the floor before helping her out of her coat. “Now, go get on your homework. Hey,” he scolded, light-heartedly, as she began to pout, “none of that. Go do your homework. We’ll be in Jack’s room if you need us.”

May complied, giving him one last hug before running up to her room.

“So,” I began as we walked, “what are these great plans that we blew off everyone for.”

He shrugged, flushing a light pink. “Nothing really, I just kinda wanted to have some alone time, ya know?”

I laughed. “You’re cute, babe.” The pet name had slipped out accidentally but Alex’s unfaltering grin told me he didn’t mind.

I wasn’t sure what we were anymore, but I was simply rolling with whatever perimeters Alex set; whatever boundaries he needed.

I tossed my bag to the side, throwing myself onto my bed. Alex laughed somewhere behind me as he shut my door before crawling across my bed to sit next to me. “Tired?”

“Long day,” I grumbled. He chuckled. I rolled onto my back to look up at him. “Movie night?”

He nodded eagerly, switching on the TV before sitting back beside where I lay. I extended one arm towards him – a silent invitation that I hoped came across as gentle and caring. He laid down quickly, but awkwardly positioned himself at my side, barely touching me. I wrapped an arm around his waist and pressed a kiss to his hair. “Relax, Lexy, we won’t do anything you’re not explicitly comfortable with.” He shuffled a bit, but finally relaxed into my side. His arm wrapped my torso as his leg wound around mine. I wasn’t aware my fingers were tracing lines on his side until he tensed when I skimmed his hip. I mumbled an apology as my hand placed itself back on his waist.

“I’m sorry,” he groaned, burying his face in my neck. I opened my mouth to speak but he silenced me. “Don’t tell me there’s nothing to be sorry for because I hate this. I know you’re not him and I know you’re not going to hurt me but I just can’t stop this and it’s driving me insane. Do you know how hard it is to look at you and not be able to kiss you? Because I want to, hell I want to more than anything, but every time I try I can’t because moving out of turn was four hits to the chest, and I can feel my ribs breaking all over again.” His hand was fisted around my shirt and I felt hot angry tears dripping on my neck. “I just want it to go away, Jack. I want him to go away.”

I turned on my side, slowly, to hold him. “I’m sorry, Lex. I wish there was something I could do.”

“God,” he scoffed, “if you weren’t so bloody wonderful this would be so much easier.”

“Hey,” I said, trying to distract him. “Some mom, like, twice our age tried hitting on me today.”

“What?” he grumbled, wiping away the last traces of tears.

“Mhm. She asked if I was a single dad.”

He snorted. “Do you look like a dad?”

I grinned. “Apparently. I dunno, do I look old enough for you? Should I grow a beard?” I tilted my chin, rubbing the stubble.

“Out of what? That one patch of pube hair you get under your chin?”

“Hey! Rude!” I poked his side, making him squirm.

“Are you attracting cougars now? Do I need to fight off mums for your affection?” He laughed as I attacked his sides.

“Stop being such a British twat!” He only laughed harder.

At that moment, watching him laugh free of all the stress and drama, if only for a moment, I realized I’d do anything to make him that happy for the rest of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise! I'm not dead and I haven't deserted this story, I'm just horrible at updating. I would like to say that the next chapter will be up soon because I'm not stuck like I was on this chapter but who knows. Apologies. Feel free to rant in the comments or message me to yell about it. Enjoy! - Anna