Sequel: NightCurse

Welcome to the Black Parade

The Hospital's Call

Cheyenne chomped on her cereal as she watched a scary movie on TV. That’s when the phone rang. Without thinking, she picked it up and answered it. “Hello, there. Is your dad home?” a polite and kind voice answered. When were people going to get that he wasn’t her father? Now that she thought about it, though, he kind of was right now.

“One second,” she said. Then, she walked outside to the garden where Gerard had been watering a gorgeous garden at the moment. “Someone on the phone wants you,” Cheyenne told him, “They said they’re from the hospital.” She then trudged back to the house and sat back on the couch where she could hear the conversation. She chewed on her lip as she eavesdropped.

Gerard rushed into the chilled house and picked up the phone. Then, he asked, “What?” in an impudent manner. A millisecond later, he apologized for being so rude.

The person on the other end of the line said, “Michael seems to be doing quite well today. I think he’ll be ready to go home tomorrow.

“Thank GOD!” he exclaimed.

“Have a nice day,” the voice said. Then, they hung up.

Gerard made a short sigh of relief. Then, he sat on the cozy couch next to Cheyenne. Her face showed a grin, and she hugged him tightly. He was also smiling but not as well as Cheyenne, whose teeth were nearly completely visible. “Hey, kid,” Gerard said as his teeth began to show, “Do you want to help me sell some of my old stuff in a yard sale, so I can donate some money to charity?”

“Sure!” Cheyenne said enthusiastically. They then ventured up into the attic and sat down in the middle of two piles of stuff.

“All of that stuff is sellable,” Gerard said as he pointed to his right. Cheyenne glanced at the pile to her left. There had to be things more than 100 years old there. Glass glittered and sparkled with a rainbow tint. “All of the rest isn’t. What you have to do is put price on all of the stuff. I’ll move it to the yard after you’re done.” He then handed her some price tags and a black sharpie. “You can get started now.”

Cheyenne crawled over to the pile. The first thing she spotted was an old silverware set. It didn’t look that valuable, so she priced it at $3. She then saw beautiful earrings. Their aqua-blue rhinestones glittered as she waved them through the air. “How beautiful!” she exclaimed as she watched them sway from one end of her eyes to the other. She wanted to keep them, but she knew that charity needed the money more than she needed another pair of earrings.

The last thing she noticed were some paintings. Cheyenne carefully held them up to the light. They were amazing! She brought them over to Gerard and asked him who created them.

“Oh, they are just some old paintings I did before I even started the band They’re really nothing special. In fact, don’t even try to sell them.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive.”

“Can I keep them.”

“Sure, why not?”

Cheyenne’s eyes grew big, and her chin dropped. “Thanks!” She then embraced them and ran down to her room.

They were finished with the yard sale at about 8 PM. They had raised over $450 for charity. The only thing that was left was the pair of blue dangling earrings. Gerard picked them up and gave them to Cheyenne.

“Wow, thanks!”

“No problem, kiddo. They were my grandmother’s. Take excellent care of them, okay?”

“Alright,” she said. She then smiled. She was so honored to take them. Before she knew him, everyone had treated her like dirt. Even her parents were cruel to her.

They both then merrily walked inside and had dinner. They both ate veggie burgers with cheese. “I think I might become a vegetarian,” Gerard announced, “There’s no sense in eating meat when I can eat a veggie burger that tastes exactly the same, anyway.”

Cheyenne smiled. She was already a vegetarian, because she knew how horrible meat animals were treated.

“That’s WONDERFUL!” she said right before taking a monster-bite of her burger. They then both proceeded to have an animal rights conversation, until they were finished with their dinners. They then went to bed. Cheyenne’s room a tiny bit cold, so she turned the heat on. She liedon her bed and fell fast asleep.

It was 11 A.M. when Gerard suddenly brought her out of her imaginary world she’d been in while she was asleep. “Yesterday, the hospital said we could pick up my brother. Let’s go now.” Cheyenne hurriedly dressed and crawled into the black car Gerard owned. They then drove off to the hospital.

When they were in Mikey’s hospital room, he was still asleep. They woke him up a few seconds after they walked in the door. He put on his glasses and yawned. Then, he glanced at them. Suddenly, his face filled with terror.