Through the Trees

Three

After last night, thing were pretty quiet around the farm. I didn't have to leave my tent- not that Daryl would let me- to know how depressed everyone was. Hell, I could even feel it from where I was laying on the cot in my tent.

I wanted nothing ore than to get up and help out around the farm; but Daryl refused to let me walk around too much.

It was just about sunset when we gathered for a small service in memory of Dale. They buried him next to Hershel's family and Sophia. Daryl came out to my tent and helped me out to the field. I did my best at walking, and with Daryl's help I, thankfully, didn't fall on my face.

"Dale could get under your skin," Rick was the one to speak, "Sure got under mine- because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought. How he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brace. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale, he'd be looking back with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another.

"I couldn't always read him, but he could read us He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us- the truth. Who we really are. In the end he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group is broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, take control of our lives. Our safety. Our future. We're not broken, we're going to prove him wrong.

"From now on, we're gonna do this his way- that's how we honor Dale." He finished.

Looking around, I saw two things. Carl crying, and Shane glaring at Rick. Something about the look that he was giving him didn't sit right with me. It definitely wasn't the kind of look that would make me feel safe from one of the men helping to lead this group.

After Rick was finished speaking, we all stood there in silence for a few moments before Daryl helped me walk back to the house. Even though I had asked him to take me to my tent, he said we needed to go to the house firs. "I'll be back in a few minutes, stay here." Daryl breathed out as I sat down on the couch.

"Why do I have to just sit here?" I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest. Daryl looked down at me with his usual, angry scowl. "We're all moving into the house. I'll bring your stuff in with mine; and seeing as the offer was previously turned down Hershel has demanded that you stay in the guest bedroom upstairs." Daryl was quick to walk away before I could say anything else.

As he walked out the door, I noticed everyone else was starting to carry their stuff inside the house. They all chose from limited spots around the living room and kitchen.

I felt horrible that i wasn't really able to do anything to help. I felt useless while they all worked- I could even feel the glares that Andrea was shooting my way. Seeing me sitting there, Hershel came over with a glass of water in his hand and offered it out to me. "Here, this should help with whatever pain you have due to your ankle." He smiled, placing two little pills in the palm of my hand.

"Thank you. For everything." I smiled in return before downing the medicine he had given me. The chalk-like flavor of the pills made me want to puke, but that didn't stop me from swallowing the pills.

"I feel bad being the only one not up and helping out." I sighed, seeing Maggie over talking to Glenn. Just as Daryl walked back in and took my stuff up the stairs and it looked like he had his stuff in his arms too. "Well actually you are technically helping me out by not letting anyone else claim the couch and take it out from under me; but if you like I'll help you into the kitchen and you can help Maggie make dinner." He offered me.

"What do you mean I'm keeping anyone else from taking it from you? You have your own bedroom?" I asked, feeling ever so slightly confused as I looked up at him. "I do, but have given it to Rick and Lori. She needs that bed more than I do now that she's expecting." He explained.

Hershel and I sat together making idle chit-chat when something happened. Everyone went running outside, leaving me sitting alone on the couch. I knew that I was too slow to catch up with them, so I stayed in my spot- someone would just have to explain to me what's happened this time. So, I waited patiently for everyone to return to the house.

"What happened? What's going on?" I asked as soon as soon as I saw Carol walk into the house.

Everyone found a place to sit around the room and made themselves comfortable. "Randall slipped his cuffs and got loose" Carol said in a shaky voice. I could feel my breathing catch in my throat, "H-He escaped?"

I suddenly didn't feel safe anymore. Well, to be completely honest, I hadn't felt safe since that first day that they brought Randall back to the farm; but at least then I knew he was locked up and unable to hurt anyone. Now he wasn't. Now he was out there somewhere and we were all in so much more danger.

"Are you sure he escaped?" I asked, something suddenly coming to mind. "Of course, Shane said-" Andrea began speaking, causing me to scoff in her direction.

"Shane said. After everything he's done you're going to believe him? He wanted to kill Randall this whole time!" I snapped at her. "What exactly are you suggesting?" Hershel questioned, leaning forward towards me.

"What I'm suggesting is: what if Shane's lying?" I spoke.