Status: Back and updates inbound

The Shadow of the Moon

Chapter One: An Unexpected Swim (P.O.V Blue)

"What I don't understand, Father is why you are just now taking me on these diplomacy trips of yours." I say. "You never have before."
"Yes well, that was before you became of age Blue. The King and Queen of Misthaven have an eligible and beautiful daughter."
"Ah, but if this is a courting trip, then isn't Mother with us?" I ask pointedly, sure that I have won the argument. My father sighs and replies, "Your mother is off on one of her blasted 'adventures' again, or else she would be.." I hide a smile. Mother always hated the idea that men were better than women, so she started going off on her own 'adventures' around the kingdom. She disguises herself and runs around the countryside and neighboring kingdoms and countries doing Fox knows what. Father is constantly worried about her when she runs off like this.
"So what is this girl lime Father?" I ask, curious despite myself. My father, gives me a wry look, and I give him a sheepish smile in reply.
"Well, I've been told that she is as graceful as a wolf and as cunning as loyal. She is also very beautiful." he says.
"Does she have ever any Gifts?" I ask. My father hesitates before saying, "Well...there have been rumors that she does, for in Misthaven, they call her a Child of the Moon, or the Moon's child." I shrug and say, so she has some elemental power over the light then or something?" My father shakes his head and answers, "Not exactly. In our kingdom, The Great Pines, we would call her and Elite." My eyes widen and my jaw drops, "She is an Elite!?" My father nods. "By the Fox.." I breathe, "What's her name Father?
"Her name is Luna." he answers. "Luna..." I repeated, looking out the carriage window as we near the castle of Misthaven.
~ ~ ~
As we near the castle I see wolves EVERYWHERE. Tapestries, banners, actual wolves.... "Father is the wolf Misthaven's Spirit Guardian?" My father nods. "Yes, just as ours is the Fox." I nod sagely. My father shakes his head ruefully, "Don't do that Blue, you look like an idiot and you will just make a fool out of yourself." I flash a grin at him, and lurch forward as the carriage stops at the front of the castle's drawbridge. "They have a moat?" I ask dumbfounded. "Yes, Misthaven end has an interesting defense system." My father replies as he steps out of the carriage.
I follow, looking around the castle. "There is King William and and his wife, Queen Aspen." My father whispers, he frowns, "However, I'm not sure where Princess Luna." King William is a well-built, broad shouldered man; he has icy blue eyes and jet black hair. A simple circlet of silver adorned with an onyx in the shape of a howling wolf is his only adornment. His attire is a casual as well, wearing a simple pale blue tunic and black trouser with durable boots. The queen on the other hand, is a vision of beauty. She has auburn hair, with shocking violet eyes with flecks of jade green. She has a simple dress of sky blue with matching flats. Her own crown is the same as her husband's except for her wolf, instead of being made of onyx, it's made of emerald.
My father nods regale to King William and gives Queen Aspen an honorable bow. I hurry to follow suit. Once the formalities are over, my father introduces me; "This is my son Blue, I have brought him here today so that we could approach the topic of your daughter's hand in marriage." I nod the way a prince should when he is acknowledged. "I see." King William says, his voice a rich tenor. "I must admit that he is quite handsome. You and Lisa did quite well with this one Eric." Queen Aspen says as well, her own voice a beautiful soprano. Heat rushes to my face and my father grins at the queen. "Well thank you Aspen;" he says, "Shall we continue with our political conferences while our children get . . . acquainted?"
"I don't see why not. what do you think dear husband?" Aspen replies. "I don't have any qualms with that plan love." William answers. I clear my throat and say, "So honored monarchs, may I ask where your fair daughter is?" The queen laughs and tells my father, "He is very well mannered Eric!" My father smiles ruefully and replies, "Only in front of strangers and guests I'm afraid." The monarchs share a laugh and again, I can feel my cheeks blazing with embarrassment. "Luna is probably around the moat somewhere." King William says in response to my earlier question. "The moat?" I repeat surprised. The queen smiles again-she does have a lovely smile-and explains, " Yes, she believes that we have acquired a naiad."
"Oh . . . and have you?" I ask rather hesitantly. The king shrugs and replies, "Who knows?"
"Well, let's leave our children to it shall we?" Father says, walking towards William and Aspen. "Yes we should, I have a new proposal to make our alliance more permanent." King William says. As they walk away-towards the great oak doors of the castle-I turn around, looking for the princess.
~ ~ ~
I walk back across the drawbridge, passing two wolves; one a woodsy brown, and the other a grayish black. Their ears twitch as they watch me pass, obviously acting as guards. Wary of possible naiads, I walk along the moat. About halfway along the moat-away from any possible help-something cold and slightly slimy grabs the back of my leg and pulls me down to the ground. I panic, clawing at the ground, trying to find a handhold. Pieces of grass come away in my slipping grasp. The Thing's hold gets tighter and pulls me closer to the moat. My knees are in the water now, the rest of me following rapidly.
I risk a glance behind me and see the beautiful and dangerous eyes of the naiad, as luring as a siren's song. My gaze is now caught in it's, and I am immobilized by the naiad's immortal beauty, and cease my struggle. the water is now up to my shoulders. As my head is just about to go under, there is the unmistakable sound of a large predator crashing through the undergrowth of the woods behind me. The naiad jerks me completely under the water and pins me against the hard dirt-packed, root filled side of the moat, trying to drown me.
Something, I'm assuming whatever the crashed out of the undergrowth, establishes a firm grip on my collar, and yanks hard. The naiad strengthens her grip as well, and I become the rope in a tug of war match. Slowly I inched back to the surface, only to be yanked downwards once more. By now, my breath was nearly gone, and I was beginning to see darkness creep in from the edge of my vision. Just when the darkness was about to take over-with a mighty heave-I was finally dragged to the surface. I lay coughing and sputtering face down in the grass, taking in huge breaths of air. Once my lungs stopped screaming for air, I rolled onto my side, eyes half lidded; breathing slowly. In front of me, sat a wolf.
The wolf has a pelt that reflects the color of fresh mist, streaked here and there with deep blues. the eyes are a warm amber brown, and I swear that I can see concern in them. The wolf pads over and nudges me with it's nose, a light whine sounding in it's throat. "I'm alright, thanks to you." I say thankfully. The wolf opens it's mouth in a doggy-like grin. I find myself smiling back, and I raise my hand slightly, moving it a little closer to the wolf; as if to pet it. The wolf cocks it head a little bit to the side, as if confused. "Um. . . can I pet you?" I ask awkwardly. The wolf makes a coughing nose and shakes it's head, padding away.
~ ~ ~
I sigh as I walk back across the drawbridge. Standing in the courtyard is a beautiful girl with peach colored skin, and dark auburn hair that falls to her shoulders. Her eyes however, are what catch my breath. They are a warm amber with flecks of deep blue and misty silver. I walk up to her, sure that I have met her before. "Excuse my rudeness dear lady, but have we met before?" She smiles at me and her eyes shine with mirth, "That depends."
"On?" I ask smiling back.
"Can I pet you?"
I feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I scramble for words. "Ah, Blue! I see you've met the Princess!" my father calls to me as he walks out of the castle. "T-the P-princess..?" I stutter, blushing furiously. The Princess laughs at my reaction, and i think, ^That is the most beautiful sound that I have ever heard.^
♠ ♠ ♠
2nd chapter coming soon