Sunny Days

Guilt

Florida always seemed like a nice place to visit. What with the sand, the surf, and generally nice weather. But this wasn`t exactly a pleasantries trip. Not this time at least. It was more like a guilt trip, really. He had missed his best friend`s wrestling debut. Even Kota Ibushi made it! And yet Okada didn`t. True, he was caught up with his boss, trying to convince him he really wasn`t leaving for the WWE as well. It was only a simple visit. Just to make sure his friend had settled in well. Plus it would get Shinsuke to finally shut up about all the surfing he`d been doing.

So when he flew down a week later, he was happy to see his friend had settled in quite nicely. His English was coming along well too. Though his accent was a bit much at times, he was doing very well. And that eased Okada`s mind a bit. He had been worried the language barrier would complicate things too much for his friend and he would have to come crawling back to Japan, hurt about the whole thing. But he was constantly improving.

Maybe he could help me, Okada had silently mused on the plan ride. He was getting a tad rusty, after all it had been a few years since his few month stint with TNA and those couple matches at ROH. Since then he hadn`t really needed to speak much English. Sure there were a few times he had to speak it with the foreign wrestlers he befriended, but after they learned Japanese, he opted to communicate that way. It was normally easier.

When Okada`s plane landed, Shinsuke was there to meet him with a big smile and an even bigger hug. Okada wasn`t much for public affection, but it felt like it had been months since he`d seen his friend, so he happily returned the hug. He didn`t mind letting it slide this time, anyway.

The two spent what was left of the day in Shinsuke`s new apartment. It was small, but not as small as Okada thought it would be. It was perfect for one of single nature.

Jet lag wasn`t exactly the funnest thing in the world. But, Shinsuke figured, it would be easier to deal with in the morning. So they decided to just catch up with one another and relax.

The next day, due to wanting to make sure Okada actually got some sleep, they didn`t make it to the NXT performance center until noon. He had apologized but Shinsuke waved him off with a smile. He knew all too well how difficult it was for the first couple days or even weeks. But it got better.

Walking into the performance center had Okada in a bit of shock. There were four rings set up for practice, a rather large gym, a couple offices, some nice showers, and even a room to eat. Everything was so nice and pristine. It was probably one of the best places to train he`d ever been in. No wonder his friend was bragging. He would be too.

He was even more surprised when Triple H of all people greeted them with a smile, seemingly perfectly fine with what was essentially competition looking around. But, Okada supposed, he might be hoping for a new employee. And as nice as this place seemed, it was impossible. Five year contracts can`t be broken that easy.

"Come on," Shinsuke laughed, pulling his friend away from the wrestling rings. "There`s someone I want you to meet."

Okada raised an eyebrow in a silent question but followed anyway. If this meant that Shinsuke had made friends, then he would happily meet them. It would be another thing to put his mind at ease. However, upon entering the gym, he saw something he wasn`t expecting. Or rather, someone.

"Okada, I want you to meet my friend, Maura. Maura, this is my best friend, Okada," Shinsuke introduced with a grin. "He`s visiting for a couple weeks."

Maura shook his hand with a slight bow of the head like she`d seen Shinsuke do many times. "It`s nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," Okada said, wincing at how heavy his accent was.

She smiled softly. "I can speak Japanese if you`d prefer it."

"It would be better," He admitted.

"Shinsuke was the same way," Maura chuckled, now speaking Japanese. "As soon as he figured out I was fluent, he didn`t ever want to speak English."

"And you taught me anyway," Shinsuke muttered.

"That I did."

While they spoke, now teasing each other, Okada took a minute to really look over Maura. She was a pretty little thing. Probably five foot six, slightly tanned skin, big brown doe eyes, freckles everywhere, plenty of curves he wouldn`t mind getting a hold of, long legs despite her short stature, and inky black hair done in a braid down her back. She was something else, that was for sure. And while a hook up wasn`t something he planned on, let alone considered during this trip, he wouldn`t mind having her in his bed at least once. Okada mentally shook himself at that thought. She was Shinsuke`s friend. He refused to potentially ruin that just to get laid. It would be wrong of him. Horribly wrong. No matter how attractive she was.

"Okada? Okada?"

He was jerked from his thoughts by a hand waving in front of his face and fingers snapping by his ear. "Hmm?"

"We`ve been trying to get your attention for five minutes," Maura explained. "I know the performance center is over whelming at first, but..."

Shinsuke chuckled. "I don`t think its the center."

"Oh?"

"Yes. But he`ll be fine soon."

"Are you sure?" Maura asked. "We can go sit down if you need to."

Okada quickly schooled his features into one of his signature blank looks, silently cursing his friend and his all knowing look. "I`m fine. Really. Just over whelmed."

She nodded slowly and murmured, "If you say so." She cast a quick glance at her watch and smiled. "Anybody want lunch?"

Shinsuke cheered and Okada rolled his eyes. They had eaten an hour ago and his friend was already hungry. Though he could go for some ice cream, himself.

"Give me a minute to change clothes and we can get going."

"We`ll be waiting," Shinsuke spoke with a grin.

"Oh I know you will," Maura laughed. "You always want food."

"Eh? I do not."

"Wanna bet?"

Okada couldn`t stop the little smile from tugging at his lips as he watched his friends interact. He was beginning to understand why Shinsuke liked her so much. Maura sure was a pleasant surprise.
♠ ♠ ♠
I originally posted this on my fanfiction account but since I`m about half through the second chapter, I decided to post it on here as well. Plus it`s been a while since I posted on here. The next chapter should be up sometime this week. I hope you all like this chapter and I would love to know what you think. Please leave a comment to let me know. Thank you!