Status: Updates are once to twice a month, sometimes more (it's mainly dependent on school holding me down)

Seas of Affliction

Theo

“Your first mistake is assuming what places are dangerous. The mark over on the Arula Abyss’ is a misguided rumor, they pose no danger. It is probably suspected it’s dangerous because of how deep they run, the water scarcely exposes any light passing through it. The lack of sight and control to the water’s below for someone one is frightening but not dangerous.” She moved her finger to the east a little.

“What you should have marked is the entire region of Yellen. That is free territory, no control over what goes on. They are more unpredictable than most areas, although nothing life threatening will come from it unless the water’s are provoked.”

“Waters?” I asked, already knowing that this would be just the first thing I would feel lost about.

“The reason there is no power of territory there is because its residents are invisible to the naked eye, even I cannot see them. They are micro beings who lie dormant within the sea waters. If those waters are disrespected in ways, such as dumping the lovingly named ‘shit bucket’ over the side of the ship, what would seem like a freak whirlpool forming is actually those small beings manipulating the waters.”

I nodded, rewriting the new places she elaborated on. I saw her eye come to a halt on one spot, eyes flicking back over the map several times before her eyes stayed on the stop. “Here.”

“It's marked.” I told her, unsure as to what she was thinking.

“Yes, I see that.” She held a tight smile. “This is the most dangerous spot and I can’t see a way to avoid it unless by some change of seasonal currents, that never happens though.”

“What creatures does it hold to try and kill us there?” The question was meant to break the tension on her face but it only deepened.

“The only thing waiting is prompted death. The Lost Black Waters, where no human has ever returned from but I can't say the same for any other species. I've heard stories of experiences there from mutual kin of or neighboring clans, who knows what actual truth it holds. I can say with certainty that even breathing wrong can land you in that shadow land before you can even comprehend it.”

“I've sailed through this region before with no misguided adventures to this little piece of the underworld you're painting.”

“It doesn't stay in one place. It changes with the currents of the sea, the planets movements, the seasons–it never ends up in the same place twice in a year. We're just have horrendous luck and odds against us it seems. And no, there is no voodoo sea witchcraft I can do to change it.”

I suppressed an amused smirk from moving past the teeth tugging at the inside of my cheek at her snark. “Then we’ll just sit and hold our breath.”

“I was being facetious,” she replied flatly. “Just don't do anything you think is remotely offensive and we should be fine.”

“You're talking about a group of sailors, you might have to clarify what offensive actually is.” My eyes struggled not to glance down at the brush of discoloration on her neck from her disappearing scales when she sat down in the chair behind her. It’s something she has long but forgotten since she was able to get up and walk around it seemed.

“When the time comes, I'll clarify. Let's just move on.” She pointed to four different marked spots, ensuring they weren't a threat.

“I think that just about covers it all before Tangia is in front of us.” I breathed, taking a good look at the revised map.

“You need to mark here, 50 miles north of Yellen. It's mating season for the common kraken, it'll be full of competing males. That I should be able to navigate through though.”

“Because of your voodoo witchcraft magic, correct?” I teased before I could register that I was teasing her. It was a completely foreign without any harm meant behind the words.

“No.” She seriously corrected. “It's blood magic.”

I raised a brow, allowing a small leering movement to lift the corners of my mouth. “Blood magic? Really?”

“I've already mentioned this before.” She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. “If you're going to bait me, at least remember what you're baiting me about, captain.”

It was peculiar to see her in a new light, as if she wasn't the ethereal creature that haunted my dreams for weeks after my shameful doings. The gnawing question of why was the theme of my nightmares, her face the deceptive beauty that tormented my reasonings. The goading fizzled from my mind as other thoughts crossed into it.

“Why did you save me that day?” The question visibly caught her off guard, her crossed arms moving to hug her petite frame.

“Intuition.” She simply put. “Despite the fact that I wanted you to drown after falling on top of me like you did.”

“Is that what broke my fall?” I wanted to ease the rigidness that had overtaken her and it worked when I saw her eyes winsomely dance in response.

“Yes, apparently. It was a good thing you're only full of idiocy and hot air or it would've hurt.”

I chuckled, shaking my head. “Do all mermaids have such sharp tongues? Or is that just your own sporting charm?”

“Possibly or it's the remarkably simple mindedness humans possess that make it so easy to achieve. I won't let you think too hard about it though.”

A silence fell between us and I realized that she could be putting me under some kind of glamour to gain trust, making her suddenly more likable. My prejudice and anger are left in ashes in comparison to the wildfire they were upon the realization of who she was. A part of me now was wary of the friendly banter and atmosphere now between us. It didn’t help that her true beauty was coming out into fullness. Her hair was growing incredibly fast, no longer kept chopped unevenly short above her ears, but now almost reaching her shoulders. The trueness of her eyes had been buried under the human cloak, the silvery glare no longer glinting like sunlight with their movements.

“Did you hear me?” I hadn’t realize how deeply I was lost in my thoughts. Had I been staring at her that entire time? I cleared my throat, purposefully putting up a more frigid composure.

“No. My apologies.”

“I asked if we were done here and that if we are, I’m going to return to the main deck to continue my duties.” The dusting of freckles over her cheeks and the tip of her nose scrunched into each other with the creasing of her forehead.

Stop. Do not be such a fool.

“I no longer need your assistance.” I nodded. Her slight and easy smile was twitching in minuscule movements to expose itself. It never did show itself fully as she left without saying anything else. As soon as the door shut behind her, I collapsed into the chair she had been sitting in, my face burying itself into my hands.

“Ridiculous.” I muttered to myself.

Anyone knew of the beauty that mermaids possessed. The matter was like sun and warmth, one couldn’t be without the other. And at the moment I was basking in the heat of her glow. Dammit. Get it together, Theo. I sighed frustratedly.

This wasn’t the first time I noticed her beauty, it was almost palpable in the when she was still bedridden, the telling signs of transitioning turned her more towards like a glowing aura than pale and sickly for awhile. It was the main reason no one was allowed in the room with her without my permission because a ship full of men would jump at a shadow that resembled a woman in the night, imagine what’d they do if they saw her.

Now that she is better, it’s still a beauty that hasn’t left me, even if it has left her. Presently, this was the first time that I had relaxed enough to allow it to nearly blind me. For all I knew, it was something that was in her control, to bend man to their knees in dazed loyalty. I wouldn’t allow it. I couldn’t. Not because of pride or selfish reasons, but because if I were fooled, how could I possibly live with failing my crew again?

If I were to ask her of her possible bewitchment, surely that would cause her to get that unnerving look in her eyes, one that was a clear reminder that she was not fully human, but that she was much more powerful than I or anyone else on this ship. There was confliction though, trust goes far beyond the bounds of beauty, how will I find a way to reveal that? The first location that she put is two days away, Yellen Territory. The question was is if I would have to wait until then to see how much of the trust I have towards her proves true.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had thought that this chapter was already posted so I was all ready to post chapter twelve. Nope. I'll post chapter twelve tomorrow then.

I would LOVE a comment! Let me know I'm writing the right things still or what could make the story better. Just something. Comment inspire me all over again knowing that there are people out there who look forward to reading it.

So...

Comment/Rec/Subs

I love you all regardless of comments and all :)

-Mel