Status: Updates are once to twice a month, sometimes more (it's mainly dependent on school holding me down)

Seas of Affliction

Theo

It was high noon. I was sure of this because it was nearly the fifth time I had check, squinting into the sunlight as the open seas greeted us from its shoreline abode. The smell of muck and rotting food still stung my nostrils but the salt was slowly filtering in, lulling from the edge impending mistakes and forgotten things. How many times have I checked my list?

Now would be at least the fifteenth. I sighed.

“Have you forgotten something, captain?” A voice, one that struggled to keep in a lower octave, had spoken from behind me. I turned, frowning at the small faux-man.

“I was hoping it was you,” I tilted my head, my shoulders scrunching up some. “Alas, it seems like you’re a little cockroach that won’t die.”

She narrowed her eyes. “I do not know of this cockroach you speak of but it sounds repulsive.”

I could only assume she was jesting with me. “I’m assuming your mind resides in the bliss of ignorance. If it should become too blissful, I will be more than happy to remind you of your reality.”

“If you are referencing my responsibilities you had given me as my reality, I will have to go as far as to say my bliss is eternal at the moment.” Her hands were folded behind her back, heels rocking back and forth. I was tempted to push her just a little further back and over the railing of the ship.

“That’s impossible. The workload should be taking you all day with the amount of weight you’ll be moving around. I don’t not appreciate lies.”

“I’m not lying.” Her hands moved to her hips and then with a slight widening of her eyes, she moved them once more behind her back. Perhaps she realized that no man often puts his hands on his hips when crossed.

“I will be the judge of that.” I slapped the list down onto the table by me, placing one of the many compasses we had on board atop of it to keep from blowing away.

I slid down the ladder with ease into the cargo hold, peering around at the other amass of things still to be properly organized and sealed. Many of them were assigned to other people who were busy doing other things they would be more helpful with. The section I had assigned her held lighter things such as tobacco and much heavier things such as gunpowder and cannonballs. The heavier things I had expected her to tire herself throughout the day and go back to it multiple times until it was stacked and moved.

When I approached the back corner where this stuff was to be, I was pressed to see that in fact all the things were neatly stacked and organized. I immediately felt the thorn that she had put in my side grow considerably.

“Who did you put up to this?” I turned, arms crossed tightly over my chest, daring her to try a play me a fool.

“No one.” She seemed to be telling the truth but I could tell she was a deceptive woman, just look at what she was pretending to be already.

“Do not lie to me. Try to do so again and I will throw you overboard.” I was not lying. Though it isn’t exactly smiled upon to just toss a crewman overboard into the sea to be lost. It was much more appreciated that they be locked up or punished in someway. I felt eager to rid of her if I could help it.

“I gave my word that I will uphold my responsibilities to an equal standard as those around me. Does it bite you so to see that I’ve exceeded them?”

My face heated with anger. “Such confidence. Should we see if you exceed your acclaimed talent of swimming as well?”

Her whole body leaned back. I hadn’t realized she had been almost quite literally posing herself taller with each remark we had made to each other. Then she sighed, her eyes casting down to the floor. “I apologize if I’ve offended you, sir.”

“Do you mock me? I told you not to call me that.” The title made me feel much older than I felt.

“No,” she swallowed hard, hand wrung together with a white-knuckled grip, “captain.”

“Then how did you finish so quickly?” There was still a truth be sought.

“I’ve told you, honestly, I have done the work myself.” She then walked over to one of the cargo boxes, wrapping her petite arms around it, and sliding it over to my feet with ease. There were at least four cannonballs in it.

I shook my head. “Is this empty? Are you still trying to trick me?” I bent down, picking it up with a grunt. The damn woman was telling the truth. But how does she possess such strength?

“My last intention is to jeopardize my passage on this ship. I did my work quickly and thoroughly.”

I eyed her suspiciously. “And what is the reason for this passage? One doesn’t exactly seek a holiday to Tangia, only reasons of selfish nature and greed, sometimes actual business.”
“Business.” She walked over, retrieving the box to put it back in its place.

“Yes, but I’m going to point out the obvious mismatch of your size compared to your strength. How are you able to do all of this with such ease?” I couldn’t wait to hear her excuse, though I couldn’t really think of a valid answer myself to be given.

“Well, I have my mother’s looks and my father’s strength,” she shrugged with a tight lipped smile.

“So simple, of course.”

“I’m afraid so.” She seemed to relax a little more.

“But I know it isn’t such.” My face fell flat as I neared her. “Your actual truth and reason, does it put any of my crew in danger?”

“No.” Her answer was solid and unwavering.

There it was. I was seeing some sort of truth from her for the first time. “Then you can continue working your way through the rest of the cargo.”

“Captain!” A head poked around one of the supporting wooden beams of the ship.

“Yes, Mr. Wick?” I look into the startled eyes of my sailing master. A knot tangled itself around my stomach; what could have possibly gone wrong already?

“We’re approaching the Ananta islands.” While something had not happened, the knot stayed with premonition. This would be the first of many dangers this ship and its crew will face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey hi hello!

Updates are back on the regular!

Remember to rec/sub/comment (I would looooove a little something!)

-Mel