Just Beyond the River

the inspection

She trembled from the cold air and clutched at her upper arms, trying in vain to conserve some heat. The shower head above her suddenly came to life and she gasped as the cold water hit her. Her toes curled and she hung her head as her teeth began to chatter. Her fingers were already numb and it hurt when she curled them.

The door of the shower chamber was opened and a man in a white suit stepped in. "Arms out," he said.

Reluctantly, she let go of her arms and held them out, closing her eyes. Her legs were nudged apart and she clenched her teeth as the cloth touched her skin. The man wasn't gentle as he began to scrub her body. Her legs, stomach, breasts, arms and even the soles of her feet were thoroughly washed before the water was stopped.

She opened her eyes as the man stood and tapped on the wall of the chamber before coming back over, lifting her arm and running his hand across her armpit. "No underarm hair growth," he announced, checking the other as he spoke. He ran his hand over her arms and navel before he ran his hand over her pubic area, making her breath hitch. "No upper body or pubic growth." He knelt down and ran his hands down her legs. "No leg growth."

When he stood he placed a hand on her arm and guided her to the door, pushing her out the chamber when he opened it. The air was slightly warmer in the room but still she wished she was back in the white room. It was far warmer than any of the other rooms she'd been in within the last few hours.

As the man shed his suit a woman approached her. "Open," she instructed, swabbing the inside of her mouth when she did. "Drink this." The woman then gave her a small plastic cup of blue liquid and she hesitated, the smell making her wrinkle her nose. Stalling was futile and she brought the cup to her lips and began to drink. The liquid was foul and as the last of it went into her mouth, she dropped the cup and covered her mouth, desperately trying to stop herself from expelling it.

"Toilet is there," the woman said, pointing to the door behind them.

She hurried over and went into the small room, closing the door before dropping onto her knees just in time to throw up into the toilet. It was a cleansing, she realised, before she began to cry.

The liquid made her throw up seven more times, each time burning her throat more than the last. She felt dehydrated and exhausted but prepared to hoist herself up before she stopped, her eyes resting on the toilet. It was hard beneath her hands as she squeezed the rim and she found herself looking over her shoulder, noting that the door was still closed before looking back at her hands.

Before she could changed her mind, she brought her head hard against the rim, sending pain rippling through her head. She let out a groan, gripped the toilet tighter and smashed her head again. And again, and again. On the fifth time she left a little blood, and just before she did it for the sixth time, the door flew open and the man and woman were there, grabbing her arms and dragging her away from the toilet.

Her head throbbed and she struggled to even focus clearly, but she still tried to fight, kicking her legs and wiggling her body as they dragged her into the main room. "No!" she shouted, the movement making her head hurt more. "Let me die. Please!"

One of them let go of her and she swung that arm to hit at the other, desperately trying to get free. In retaliation, the one still holding her grabbed her other arm and pinned them both against her body, leaning their weight onto her. "No, no, no!" she cried, futilely trying to shake them off.

"She's not calming," the person hissed. "We have to do it."

Her head was held down and she felt the needle go into her neck.

Within a minute, she was unconscious.