Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 10

“I thought I told Ben perfectly clear that the two of you can't bring attention to yourselves. You can just use the big one down the shore, if you are careful. Trust me, I am doing you a favor.” Max stated.
“Why, then? Why do we need to hide? From what?” Toby said, crossing his arms, not convinced.
“You aren't alone on the island. It's very lucky that the two of you have not gone exploring much more than you have. There are several dozen people here on this island. About a mile down the shore is a camp of five others. Five hundred feet North, inland, from them is another camp of three. Likely by tomorrow that second camp will be destroyed and everyone there dead. They have not been smart about keeping hidden. You two got lucky. Bless your lucky stars, Toby, that you have Ben.” Max replied, not explaining much of anything.
“What's going to happen to them?” Ben asked before Toby could.
Max turned his attention to Ben and smiled again. His eyes held an attentive fondness and Ben found himself getting uncomfortable. Max gave a soft chuckle and turned to Toby instead.
“I'm going to happen. I'm going to kill them and rip them to shreds. I might let one escape for the thrill of the chase, but that person won't last long. I would like to be clear when I tell you not to be found by the others or separate yourself from Ben.”
Silence fell and Ben's stomach dropped. Max had to be joking, right? Ben turned to Toby, but the other boy's expression was unreadable. Max shifted, lifting one knee and resting his arm against it. His eyes were on Ben again and Ben had the feeling he had not been joking.
“What's special about us...or rather, Ben?” Toby asked softly, his anger completely gone. Or hidden.
“I like him. He has his priorities straight. He's got a nice look to him. Did he tell you that when we met, rather than struggle and panic, he focused on that stupid fish? I thought that was awfully brave of him. It would be a waste to kill him. He likes you, so I won't kill you as long as you are his ally. However,” Max now addressed Ben, “please keep in mind that I am only willing to do that with one person. If you should befriend another, I will not hesitate to kill them all. I do this because I want you to like me, but I won't risk having you taken from me.”
Ben stared at Max wide eyed. He thought for a moment about trying to run or to get Toby away, but he could tell Max was probably expecting that. Max's eyes seemed to take in every movement from Ben, every detail, every thought. Ben forced himself to stay and relaxed his tensed legs as best he could. A new thought trailed into his head that made his stomach heave.
“The...The meat you gave us,” he began.
Max let out a laugh that made both Ben and Toby jump.
“This is exactly what I like about you, Ben! No worries, I don't cook those I kill. It's water fowl. I have a flock of them, among other things, I use to keep myself fed. Speaking of which, Ben. If you wish for me to feed Toby as well, I'm going to have to ask you to pay for it.” Max purred.
“Pay?” Ben questioned, not liking the sound of that.
“Don't, Ben!” Toby barked, grabbing Ben's arm.
Max's expression twitched, but he did not move. Ben watched him warily, not able to take his eyes off the man now.
“I can take care of myself,” Toby insisted.
“If you say so,” Max shrugged with a smile, “but, the offer is open whenever you need it.”
“Why are you doing this?” Ben murmured uneasily, not sure he wanted the reason.
“I imagine you are asking about the killing?” Max asked.
Ben gave a nod, so Max continued.
“It's my job. Neither of you have memories of much, do you? If you do-don't tell me. I would be forced to bring you in for re-evaluation, which is worse than death. Trust me. I will say only this on the