Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 11

subject; you've done something in your previous life that warranted you to be brought here. To live in fear of death. Unfortunately for my employers, who allow me to do as I please, I have a tendency to pick a favorite and allow them to live until they start to regain their memories.”
“Meaning; you are my favorite this time around, Ben. You and you alone may live without fear of me. All I ask is that you forget everything and be mine. Do not fear; I will not come after your body. If you decide you want me, then welcome me to yourself, but I am not about to rape you.”
“Ben couldn't have commit a crime. That's stupid.” Toby snapped as soon as he realized Max was finished speaking.
“Do you know what we did?” Ben asked at the same time.
“I know what you did. I am told so that I can decide the punishment I will deal out to you. Toby, you are right; Ben did not commit a crime, but he is here for good reason. I cannot go into more detail without possibly reawakening your memory. I won't risk it.” Max replied with a shake of his head.
Max leaned back and studied the two of them for a moment. He seemed to be relaxed, despite what he was speaking of, and almost sane. Ben dropped his gaze to the fire for a moment, trying to comprehend everything he was being told. He thought, for a moment, of their first day arriving on the island. They had been starving already and, it had seemed, had more of their memories. As the days had worn on, Ben at least found his memories fading. By the time he had first encountered Max, he had often wondered if he had ever truly been off the island. His brows furrowed for a moment and then he looked up at Max.
“The other islands. Are they like this too?” He asked.
“Clever boy,” Max praised, “most don't figure it out until too late. You are doomed if you go to the other islands. Think of these islands as a jail, or even Hell, if you will. Each island is terrorized by a different hunter. I am often considered the most merciful, by the way. There is no escape. Surrounding all of the islands the Guard, who I am sure you will see some day soon. Nothing escapes their sight. If you see a boat in the distance, I want you both to come immediately to the mountain. The guard will come to the islands occasionally to cull the people left so there is room for more to be brought.”
“Why the hell should we trust you? Because you are in love with Ben?” Toby snapped, though there was a slight quiver in his voice.
“I never said, 'love'. If I loved him, this conversation would be going very differently. I lust for him, at best. Anyway, it's up to you what you do. I could care less about you, Toby. Your crime does not warrant mercy, but you are being good to Ben, so I will grant it to you for now.” Max said.
Max then got to his feet, gathering up his disguise. He pulled it back on and nodded to Ben.
“I'll leave you two to your thoughts. I have a job to do. Remember what I've told you.” Max added before he turned and left.
Ben stared after Max, but Toby did not sit still. Immediately, Toby leaped to his feet and paced around the fire, muttering darkly. Ben shook his head and wondered if he would be getting any sleep at all, especially knowing that Max was out there killing people. And he likely would one day kill Toby or even Ben himself if things went bad. Despite that, Ben was feeling more concerned about the fact that he and Toby had both committed some sort of crime. Crimes bad enough to be brought to this place and to be tortured. He took a moment to go through his few, blurred memories, but nothing he could remember made him think he had done anything evil. He glanced up at Toby.
“What do you think we did to end up here?” He asked softly.
Toby gave a grunt that sounded an awful lot like 'I don't care'. Ben made a face at him and scratched at a bug bite on his neck. He stayed by the fire for a short time longer before he got up and decided he had best try to get some sleep. He did manage to get to sleep, but he woke many times and was plagued by nightmares.
Normally he would have been too exhausted for such dreams, but they haunted him nonetheless and by morning he felt as he had before Toby and he had been starving. He moved sluggishly and his mind was clouded. He woke up long before sun rise and could not get back to sleep.