Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 15

Sam spinning around in alarm.
A figure darted through the trees and stumbled right into May with a cry of fright, dropping what appeared to be a large piece of burnt meat. Sal dropped his foot from Ben's shoulder and leaped at the newcomer.
“What do you know? He was telling the truth!” Greg said.
Ben did not waste anymore time and leaped to his feet. Sam called after him to wait, but Ben was not about to stick around any longer. He heard pursuit, but that quickly died away as he ran blindly into the trees. Ben lost sight of the beach, but kept going, keeping the sun in front of him. He quickly ran out of breath and had to slow to a fast walk, but he did so only when he was thought no one followed him. A while later, he paused and leaned heavily against a large tree, gasping in the humid heat of the early day. He glanced around and realized he was completely lost. If he kept going east, perhaps he could find the river, but by now Toby was surely looking for him.
Realization suddenly hit Ben and he paled. He had forgotten that Max had said he would be back to check up on him. Ben had no doubt he had already been to his camp and seeing he had no been there, was likely searching for him. Or, perhaps he was not. Either way, Ben did not want to risk leaving Toby alone any longer. Taking a deep breath, he began to move again when he heard the sound of the wind in the trees. He was knocked over from behind and when he rolled over to try to get up again, he found hands around his neck, choking him.
“Ben?” Max asked a moment later, realizing who he had just stumbled upon.
“Ugh,” was all Ben could get out, even as Max loosened his grip.
“What are you doing way out here?” Max asked, shifting so he was straddling Ben.
Max's hands slid down to Ben's shoulders and stayed there. Ben stared up at Max blankly and then shook his head.
“I went for a walk and...” He paused, not wanting to give away that he had met some of the others on the island.
“I see. Well, I let that fox get away for now, so I'll take you back. But first,” Max removed his mask and grinned down at Ben, “how about a kiss?”
“A kiss?! Why?!” Ben yelped.
“Because I want to, of course. Come on, let me. It'll be romantic” Max urged, leaning forward until their noses touched.
“You don't love me, how can anything you do be romantic?” Ben snapped, annoyed.
“Oh, but I do lust for you. I like your face and your body. You could be a model, if you ever get out of here. You'd never be short on lovers. Let me kiss you, I won't bite, I swear!” Max purred, licking the corner of Ben's mouth.
Max leaned closer and it seemed like he was not going to give Ben a choice. Ben shut his eyes and turned his face away. Chuckling, Max slid his hands along Ben's shoulders, down his arms to grip his hands, interlacing their fingers. His lips lightly touched Ben's cheek for a split second before Max nuzzled his face into the side of Ben's neck. They stayed there like that for a moment before Max lifted his head.
“So... you haven't said no outright yet.”
Ben opened his eyes to give Max a sidelong glare, but it had no effect on the man, who only laughed again.
“Alright, alright. I'll escort you back to your camp.” Max huffed, but he did not seem exactly disappointed.
Max stood and let Ben sit up before he offered his hand. Ben ignored the offered help and stood by his own strength. Max shrugged and replaced the mask before he tottered off, Ben close behind.

“How are you feeling?” Max asked after they had crossed over the river a good time later.
Ben looked up from his feet at the back of the bush that was Max. They had been silent for the