Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 16

most part as Max led Ben back. Occasionally Max has paused and told Ben to get down low as deer passed or some other,unseen danger, but other than that they had gone without pausing or talking.
“I'm alright. I didn't hit my head as hard as I thought.” Ben replied, placing a hand on his forehead.
“Good. Either way, don't go to sleep until I come to join you, tonight. I want to make sure you are okay.” Max told him.
“Isn't it dangerous for you to be out and about? That Greg was saying he wanted to come hunt you down,” Ben asked, forgetting he had not said anything about the four he had met.
“Greg?” Max asked, twisting around to face Ben.
“Ah... I stumbled across...the camp you mentioned and over heard them talking.” Ben admitted uneasily.
“Right after I told you not to go near? Remember, almost everyone here is a criminal. Just because they can't remember their crimes does not mean they will not commit them or other crimes. For some people, it's in their genes to be bad.” Max's voice sounded cheerful enough, but Ben wondered what his expression was like.
“Are they all really bad people? None of them looked evil. Except maybe Greg, but even so...” Ben trailed off, thinking he was likely making things worse the longer he spoke.
“Greg...Ah, Greg Steeder,” Max said with what looked to be a nod, “He's bad news, but more for anyone with him than for you. He was in the army. Often whenever he went out with a group, he would be the only one to return. Whether it was fighting, reconnaissance, or just down time. It was later found out that he was responsible each time. The nut case has been re-evaluated several times now. I'm not sure why they keep sending him back.”
“What is this re-evaluation anyway? You keep mentioning it and how awful it is, but I don't really understand.” Ben asked, trying to change the subject.
“Well, I'm not really supposed to talk about it, but I don't really care. If you know, you might be more willing to avoid it.” Max mumbled hesitantly.
He fell silent for a moment before he took a few steps closer.
“They split open your head and rip out your memories to see what you've remembered. They don't give you any medicine to dull the pain nor do they knock you out. You are forced to endure it. Some die. Actually, most people die. If you survive it you will be asked if you wish to return to the islands or undergo one of the other three Purgatories,” Max murmured.
“The other three Purgatories?” Ben asked, not following.
“There are four in total. This is one, known as the Islands of Hell. There are the Nightmares, in which you are put into a comatose state and fed vivid and horrifying nightmares until you either manage to force yourself awake or die of a heart attack. And The Black Boxes, in which you are placed in a box totally devoid of anything; no light nor sound nor human interaction. You are fed and watered from a hole in the wall once every two days. You live in your own urine and shit and trash. There is no escape from that one. And finally the Pit, which is perhaps the worst, in my opinion. You are thrown into a pit. If you survive the fall, you then have to fend off attacks from everyone else within. The only food you get is the flesh of others and the only water is from a constant rain that never dies out.”
“I've seen all of them. All Hunters and Guards do as part of our training. The Guards can be found in all four of the Purgatories, but Hunters like myself are only found on these islands. I remember the Pit most vividly. I have nightmares of being thrown into them. Nightmares, Ben. Hunters have fear bred out of us. I might be a little bit different than my siblings, but even I should not feel fear from such a simple thing.”
“Everyone feels fear, Max. Everyone fears something.” Ben told him, attempting at being comforting.
“Not Hunters.”
“Everyone.” Ben insisted and then began walking again.