Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 19

Ben's shoulder and he jumped. Toby patted Ben's back as he joined him to watch.
“What are you doing here?” Ben hissed.
“Looking for you!” Toby snapped.
“Who are you?!” May demanded of Max, who had not moved since kicking Sam down.
Max grinned at them and Ben shivered, wondering if Max was about to kill them in front of him. He did not want to see the death of another, criminal or not. Toby removed his hand and shifted his weight to one foot as he watched.
“I've come to retrieve my companion, who you so rudely kidnapped. Good kids don't do that kind of thing, you know.” Max told them with a chuckle.
“Fuck off!” Greg snapped, striding forward.
Sam quickly rolled back up to his feet and got between Max and Greg.
“He's right, you know,” Sam stated swiftly.
“So what? We're all victims here! It ain't like we hurt him!” Greg spat, stomping his foot.
“Shut up, Greg,” Sal hissed suddenly.
Max's grin had widened and Ben felt he should look away. His eyes, however, were glued to Max. Who was he exactly? What were the Hunters? He wondered as Max silently stared down the four fearlessly. Sam nervously inched away from the odd man, his eyes darting from Max uneasily to Ben and Toby. At the moment, Max moved. Or teleported, Ben was not quite sure. He moved with such speed he was standing still one second and at Greg's throat the next with a deadly looking hunting knife.
“You don't fuck with my people, you hear? You didn't hurt him, huh? You think I care? I'll make you regret ever laying your eyes on my treasure. The thing you fear so much won't have a chance to get to you before I'm done. And by that time you'll be begging for it,” Max threatened.
Sam spun around, his eyes wide as he heard Max's voice. May charged at Max, screaming for him to back off, but Sal and Sam quickly restrained the screaming woman. Max lowered his knife and stepped back from Greg, who was tense and frozen solid. Max gave a low, dark laugh, before he turned on his heel to join Toby and Ben. Wrapping an arm around Ben's waist, Max turned his head once more to face the four.
“That threat goes to all of you.” Max purred before shoving Ben forward, Toby following close behind.

A good half mile away, Max came to a sudden stop and shoved Ben against the nearest tree.
“This is exactly why I told you not be seen! This won't be the last time they come after you, mark my words! You are lucky Toby came to find me, otherwise you may very well have been dead! You need to listen to me!” Max snarled.
Ben trembled underneath Max and could only give a small nod. Max studied his face for a moment before he spun Ben around and began to hack at the vines around his wrists with his knife.
“You can't blame him for anything, Max.” Toby pointed out.
“Shut up!” Max spat, rubbing a hand gently up and down the sores on Ben's wrists.
“Thank you for risking yourself for me.” Ben said after a moment and earned a heavy sigh from Max.
“They still think I'm some sort of monster, so as long as I show them my human face they will think I'm just like the rest of you. They appear to have seen you and I earlier.” Max muttered, letting go of Ben.
Ben turned around to face Max once more counting his bruises silently in his head. Behind Max, Toby was staring at Ben with a blank look. Ben wondered what he was thinking about, but decided against asking. Max sighed again, catching Ben's attention.
“If you keep this up, I'll have to take you home with me. And you won't like that.” Max warned