Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 23

Ben glanced around, getting the feeling they would be waiting for a while before Max appeared-if Toby could even find him and return.
“I...um...I'm Ben” Ben sputtered, trying to come up with something to say, to break the silence.
“Ben Mason, yes, I know. Even if the Max your companion is retrieving is not the Hunter of this island, I am not going to be rid of you. Negotiations have been made for your return.”
“What do you mean?” Ben asked.
“I will say no more. It would be a pity if you were re-evaluated before your father's trial.” The Guard replied and relaxed slightly.
They stood there in silence for several minutes longer before Ben became unable to bear the silence.
“Max is the Hunter. He...has been taking care if us...me.” He tried.
“We will see. It would be unfortunate if you are his chosen.” The woman shrugged.
She pulled a piece of dried meat from one of the many bags and lifted her visor to chew it. Her facial expression had not changed at all nor her voice tone. Ben found that discovering that made him even more nervous around her. She did not seem human. His stomach growled loudly and she paused.
“I will give you some, if you wish.” She told him.
“I'll be fine, thank you.” Ben replied.
“As you wish. I will not offer again.”
Ben looked away. His legs were trembling, so he allowed himself to sink to the ground. His stomach rumbled again. He tried to think of something else, but his thoughts always turned to what she had said. He thought it might be better not to dwell on the little bit of information about himself she had given him. He was not interested in regaining his memories and then having to undergo the re-evaluation. His stomach rumbled once more and the woman sighed heavily.
Ben looked up when he heard the crunch of leaves as she approached, her hand fishing around in the bag. She offered several pieces of the meat to him, but he turned away, politely repeating what he had already said. He heard her give an angry sigh-her first sign of emotion- and she suddenly grabbed the back of his head and shoved the meat into this mouth.
“Eat it. You annoy me.” She told him as he fought against her.
Panic rose and Ben struggled wildly against her. He stubbornly clenched his teeth until she suddenly threw him down onto his back and placed a knee on his chest to keep him down. With one hand she pushed down on his forehead while she brought the other hand, full of meat to her mouth and began to chew the meat. After a moment the hand on Ben's forehead moved to pinch his nose until he was about to pass out. She leaned forward as he was about to open his mouth to breathe and then...she was gone. Off of him and stumbling quickly backward, away.
“I'm going to kill you. I'll rip your arms off and let you bleed out. Or maybe I'll set fire to your toes and watch as you burn alive. Or perhaps I'll shove explosives down your throat until you are begging for me to set them off.”
Ben rolled over, gasping for breath as Max lunged menacingly over him at the woman.
“Control your anger, Hunter. I was doing no harm to your toy.” The woman called as she dodged away from Max.
“It sure as hell didn't look that way, Claire. I thought we had an agreement.” Max growled, but he returned to Ben's side, placing a hand on the boy's back as he coughed.
“I've faithfully followed it for the sake of our friendship. He's be dead already otherwise. I tire of your games. When will you stop this?” Claire sighed, and stepped closer.
“Shut up! Don't touch what's mine!” Max snarled
“All you Hunters are so emotional. Did you know that Remi has been replaced for refusing to send his lover to re-eval? He has to now go live in normal society. I don't like the new Hunter.” Claire said calmly.
“It served him right for taking a lover!” Max snapped.
Under Max's hand, Ben flinched. He had forgotten that there was supposedly no love in Max's affection toward him. Max had certainly made Ben feel loved when he had cuddled up with him in the shelter, or saved him from Greg and the others. Even just a moment ago, when he had come flying at Claire like a soul out of Hell. Or rather, into Hell.