Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 28

sat up, eyeing them with unease.
“Get to work, or I'll shoot you down here and now.” Claire threatened.
“Toby, come here and help!” Max called.
Rebecca twisted around as Toby emerged from the trees. Her eyes narrowed, but she got back to her feet and began tossing the discarded cloths further away. After a moment, she pulled what looked like a bone sewing needle from her pocket.
“This is sanitized, right?” Max asked nervously.
“As best I can. I boiled it for a few hours after I made it, and I never use one needle twice.” Rebecca replied.
She called Toby over and had him pull threads from the remaining cloth and twist them together to strengthen them. Claire hovered over them while Max turned to Ben. As Max approached, Ben twitched and opened his eyes. Max fell to his knees in front of the dazed boy and choked back a sob of relief. He placed a hand over the wound on Ben's cheek and gazed into his eyes. Ben leaned into Max's touch and closed his eyes once more. Max lightly stoked the other side of Ben's face with his free hand, wishing they could have met under different circumstances.
Not long after, Rebecca shoved Max aside and demanded he help hold Ben down. Max braced himself for the screams, but to his surprise, Ben made little sound. His eyes shot open as the needle entered his skin and he grabbed onto Max tightly, his entire body stiffening in pain, but otherwise he did not fight them. He grunted each time Rebecca passed the needle through the skin, but he did not scream nor yelp. Max pulled off his mask and leaned his face against Ben's murmuring praises and reassurances until Rebecca had finished and began to wipe off the fresh blood. Ben whimpered and Max planted a light kiss on his lips.
Toby, who had been forgotten as the three had been hovering over Ben, suddenly leaped beside them with a large branch in his hands. Before he could call out a warning, two, massive men ran into the camp site. Both wore the same outfits as Claire, though they appeared to have been stretched nearly beyond their limit. Each muscle was defined on the two, to the point they nearly looked robotic. They strode menacingly toward Toby, who shook where he stood, but bravely stayed where he was.
“Kain! Vince! Stand down!” Claire commanded, pushing Toby behind her.
“My Lady,” the taller of the two said, giving a low bow.
The other man gave a bow as well. They straightened and relaxed their postures before walking slowly forward again.
“We feared the worst,” The tall man told her, his voice oozing with sweetness.
“You always do, Kain. Did you complete the list?” Claire said.
Kain shook his head.
“There are two we could not find...who I am assuming are standing behind you, my Lady.” Kain replied.
“Correct. The boy is no longer a target. The Hunter has asked for it to be so, and I wish to grant him that.” Claire nodded.
Max roughly pushed Rebecca away from Ben and quickly covered the injured boy's vision with his body, thinking things might get bloody. He should have known better, however. As Rebecca yowled in outrage, Claire turned to her, placing her hands on her hips.
“Rebecca Simmons. We are required to take you for re-evaluation. Come willingly, or we will bring you back with force. The choice is your's.” Claire recited, her voice sounding bored as if she had said it over and over again.
Rebecca sputtered angrily for a moment, obviously confused, but offended, before she bolted. Kain and Vince were on her in a moment, just as fast as Max was, if not faster. Toby flinched back in surprise and Max heaved a sigh of relief. He had expected Claire to kill the woman on the spot, but it seemed she had other ideas. Kain knocked Rebecca out cold with a swift hit to the head and slung her over his shoulder. He turned and gave a bow to the three boys before he and Vince strode off.