Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 31

shallow scab seven days later. The gash on his shoulder had started to get infected, however, on the third day, causing Max and Toby a good deal of grief as they tried to figure out away to help Ben. They battled the infection successfully and by the time Max had cut out the stitches, Ben's shoulder was healing well again.
Max kicked Toby out of the cave on the sixth day, though Toby stayed near by, a safe distance away from Max's many traps, to wait for Ben. Max thought about keeping Ben with him in the cave, but knew he ought to stop spending so much time with him. There was no telling when Claire would come back to collect him, and the sooner Max got over his feelings for Ben, the better. The month since Ben and Toby had come had been entertaining, but also a draining emotional roller coaster that Max was not used to. He had never felt so strongly for anyone so quickly, and as he took Ben to Toby's camp on the eight day, he felt as if his heart would tear from his chest.
“You two should move closer to the beach again. I don't want the bears to catch you when I've just fixed you up.” Max told them, scowling at Ben.
Ben snorted, but said nothing. He had not been speaking with Max much aside from responses to questions directed at him. He seemed to be deep in thought and Max feared he might be remembering his past. Whether or not Ben was a ransom hostage or Max's favorite, if it came down to him needing to be taken in for re-evaluation, Max had no choice but to do so.
Max was finding he had more and more fears the longer he stayed with Toby and Ben, but he could not force himself to stay away. During the day, Max occupied himself by hunting and terrorizing the other prisoners left on the island. By night he would sneak into Ben and Toby's new camp, Much further east than the previous one, and sleep with Ben until early morning. He tried to be gone by the time Ben woke up, but sometimes Ben was awake long before Max. He never objected to Max's nightly visits, though Toby often did, loudly, if Max was around while Toby was awake.
It was four days after Max had kicked the two of them out of his base that Ben finally said something to him without being prompted to. Max was hovering outside the crude shelter Toby and Ben slept in, debating on not going in that night, as he did every night, when Ben suddenly sat up and scowled at Max.
“If you are going to come in, then get in here. If not, stop just standing there like a creep.” Ben snapped.
Max grinned at Ben and crawled over to him, his mind made up.
“Are you sure about that?” Max purred, moving so he was looming over Ben.
Ben stared up at him for a moment and then gave a simple shrug in reply. Max's grin widened and he leaned forward to kiss Ben. When Ben did not resist, Max leaned more into the kiss, lightly licking Ben's lips. Much to his surprise, Ben wrapped his arms around Max and parted his lips to deepen the kiss.
Before they could get any further, however, Toby kicked out, hitting Max square in the ribs.
“You're too fucking loud! If you're going to fuck, don't do it in here!” Toby snarled, furious.
“You're just grumpy because you aren't getting any,” Max sneered.
“No way, I don't want any anything from you.” Toby grumbled, rolling over and presumably going back to sleep.
Ben chuckled and pulled Max down on top of him. Max relaxed and rolled onto his side to avoid squashing Ben with his weight. He gave Ben another, light kiss, but decided to have mercy on Toby and close his eyes, pressing himself close against Ben. He heard Ben mutter something along the lines of 'good night', and they fell asleep together.
The next morning, Max woke up and found himself completely alone with no sign of Ben or Toby.