Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 32

After he had recovered and moved out of Max's caves, Ben had a lot to think about. He had a lot to think about even while he was still living with Max, but now Ben felt pressed for time and he had to make a decision. It was clear to him that he and Max had no chance at a relationship, but despite everything, Ben was looking at Max in a new light. Through rose colored glasses, if you would. He knew what Max did, he also knew that he and Max might very well not be together for much longer.
He remembered Claire telling him he would be returning to his father, possibly, and even Max had mentioned it in passing to Toby while Ben had been recovering. Not only would Ben be leaving Max, but also Toby, who relied on him for assured safety from Max. Ben could not see Max killing Toby at this point, but that meant nothing once he was gone. Anything could happen, and he would never know.
Ben thought about leaving. He thought about Max's feelings and his own feelings. He thought about what the world outside the island was like, though he had little to go by. He went back and forth on replying to Max's feelings at last, and to perhaps love him even for a little bit, whether or not Max changed his mind about not loving him. Ben finally got his answer when, four days after leaving Max's caves, he met with Claire again.
Max had been avoiding Ben and Toby and it was fairly obvious. He came only at night, late at night, when he thought Ben asleep, and left as soon as he woke in the mornings. It was because of this Max had no idea that Claire was once again on the island. She spoke with Ben about returning, but was willing to postpone for a day. Toby encouraged it, though he had no idea what Claire was planning for him. Ben gladly agreed and when Max had shown up that night, he welcomed the kiss Max offered. He would have welcomed more, but Toby made it clear he did not want to lose his sleep.
In the morning, Kain and Vince came to fetch Ben. Max was so deeply asleep, Ben could not even wake him to say goodbye. Vince assured Ben it was better that way; he did not want to have to deal with Max's emotions. Much to the surprise of the two, Kain told Toby he would be coming as well. Claire was taking him on as her assistant and had gotten permission to do so. Kain had to fight with Toby, who tried to refuse, but in the end, the four of them left Max behind, Vince staying behind to erase their trail, and they were taken to a silver bullet shaped boat. Ben felt uneasy as they stepped onto the boat and Toby was dragged away by Kain, shouting and struggling, demanding to be put back on the island.
Vince took Ben to a small room that should have resembled a cell, but there were comforts of a bed nailed to the floor, books in a tightly shut bookcase, and a separate room for the bathroom. Vince told him that it was by the good grace of the Lady Claire that Ben was being given such luxuries and that the door would be unlocked if he got restless. They trusted Ben would not make a commotion, and Ben had no plans to.
Claire later appeared with Toby at her side, dressed in a black bodysuit and very obviously uncomfortable. She looked over Ben's shoulder and cheek and nodded with satisfaction. She suggested Ben take a warm shower and change his clothes. She left, Toby obediently but reluctantly following on her heel. Ben wondered what she had said to make him follow her like that. He went to take a shower, as had been suggested.

Toby visited with Ben every chance he got, which was not much. The boat moved quickly, but it almost felt as if they were not moving at all, or perhaps were flying. Ben did not pay attention to how many days passed; he mostly stayed in his little cell, reading for hours, or was with Toby and Kain or Claire as they wandered about the deck. He did not think to ask about what would happen to himself or Toby, but when Claire suddenly brought him up to the main deck and the black silhouettes of massive towering buildings lined the horizon, he began to wish he had.
“What have I gotten myself into? I don't remember anything like this.” Ben murmured.
“You did not live here. You lived in a private estate with your father and two brothers. I don't