Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 33

think you had ever been in the city before you were kidnapped.” Claire replied.
“I was kidnapped? Why?” Ben asked, surprised.
It seemed like Max had been right, Ben thought, I really do attract trouble.
“Your father is a politician and had just been elected into a higher position. Someone in charge of Correctional Programs wanted something from your father and kidnapped you to get it. I do not agree with his means, but I cannot go against my bosses.” Claire shrugged.
“What about me?” Toby chirped.
“You were, and still are, accused of killing someone, however there is strong evidence of you being innocent. Even if you are not, you killed in self defense. You were placed in the Programs because you refused to show up for court.” Claire answered.
“That sounds like something you would do,” Ben grinned and Toby scoffed.
They fell silent as the boat swiftly took them closer to the city. In no time at all, Claire pulled Ben away as they pulled up into a dock.
“Things will be difficult, but I'm sure you can pull through. If you ever feel like you can't take it, though, just get in contact with me. You'll figure out how.” Claire told him as they moved down the almost blinding silver hall of the boat.
Vince waited for them by the door that would lead Ben out into the world and gave him a small smile before he grabbed his arm.
“I'll...uh, I'll see you around, maybe.” Toby called dejectedly as Vince pulled Ben out.
“Yeah...Maybe.” Ben smiled and stepped out into the hazy city sunlight and polluted air he had no memory of.
A small army of men dressed in black suits waited on the dock as Ben was led out, a crowd of curious onlookers and cameras just behind them. A wild cheer went up, but Ben could not fathom why. A small black car drove up just a few feet away and stopped. A man who vaguely resembled a much older Ben stepped out and frowned at Ben. His eyes were cold and unfriendly and made Ben want to turn around and go right back on the boat with Toby. However, he straightened up and went to meet his father as soon as Vince released him. There was another cheer as the man, a total stranger to Ben, stiffly wrapped his arms around Ben in an awkward hug. Immediately afterward, Ben was shoved into the car and then joined by his father.
Ben was jerked back as the driver sped off, and Ben began to feel dizzy. It was nothing like being on the boat, the ride was not nearly as smooth, and the blurred images of the world outside made him feel ill. He turned his eyes down to his scarred hands and then up to the side of his father's face.
“Um,” He began, but his father shot him a cold glower.
“Shut up. Don't speak to me unless I tell you to.” The man growled.
A chill ran through Ben and he swiftly looked away. The sick feeling in his stomach intensified and Ben wondered what kind of life was waiting for him. His only memories were always of him by himself or with another boy, whose face he could never quite see. His father tapped his foot impatiently and Ben slid as far away from his father as he could, which, unfortunately, was not much. The trip seemed to go on and on forever.
When the car began to slow once more, Ben glanced outside and found they were in a completely different world. They were passing through a high, stone wall and beyond the wall were rows and rows of old trees. Although he did not quite recognize the trees, he immediately began to think of Max and when Max had rescued him from Greg and the others. Ben shivered., laid his head against the window and watched the trees pass now that they were going slower.
Some time after they had left the gate far behind, the driver slowed even more to make a sharp turn and a massive house loomed up out of the trees in a large clearing. The trees gave way to tall rose bushes of various colors and the air was alive with bugs. Ben thought about how much fun it would be to get lost here, away from his father. The car came to a stop and his father lurched out. Ben waited a moment, not sure if he should follow.