Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 35

“You saw that? Where were you?” Ben questioned.
“On the television, silly!We'll have to show you that too, huh?” Charlie giggled, darting down the hall and up another set of stairs.
“Later, that can come later. For now, let's get Ben to his room and some food.” William sighed, but there was good humor in his voice.
Ben relaxed knowing his brothers were nothing like his father. Perhaps he would be alright here after all. He followed Charlie and William up the second flight of stairs into a hall that was painted a deep red with a pure white carpet. Ben trod on it carefully, feeling as if he might make someone angry if he got even a speck of dirt on it. There were seven doors on each side of the hall before the hall made a sharp turn to the right. The two boys took Ben to a room at the end of the hall, just before the turn, and opened the door.
“We just cleaned it out this morning...by ourselves!” Charlie cheered, darting in and running about the room.
“Normally we have one of our household workers clean for us,” William explained to Ben, who stepped into the room.
“Even if it was filthy, it's far more extravagant than what I've been sleeping in,” Ben murmured, his eyes everywhere.
The wall directly across from the door was all windows and looked out onto what Ben guessed to be the side yard. There was about five hundred feet of a rose garden, a small pound, and then the trees closed in again. Far off to the distance, Ben could make out what looked like one of the towers he had seen in the city, but he was not certain. It stood alone and away from anything else. Bunched on either side of the windows were heavy, crimson drapes that could be pulled across the windows if Ben wished. The carpeting of the room was the same red as the walls of the hall and the walls of the room had been painted a dark yellow. There was not much in way of decorations; only a simple painting of two boys and a woman sitting around a campfire. There was a large desk and book case to the right of the door, the painting was hanging over the desk, and an unnecessarily large bed sat to his left, a wardrobe between the bed and the wall and a second door on the other side of that.
The bed by itself was a work of art and just about filled the room. It had been made of tiger oak and there were carvings of animals covering it. From what Ben guessed, the bed had not originally hosted the carvings and he wondered if he, or someone else in his family, had made them. The mattress was both firm and soft when he pressed down on it experimentally. Max's bed had been firm and, although Ben thought he would prefer a bed like that, the softness was still a welcome thought. The covers were crimson embroidered gold and silver threads looped into large circles that crossed over and through one another. The pillow cases were the same as the bed, but Ben was pleased to discover that the pillows were firmer than the mattress.
Beyond the second door, Ben found himself in a bathroom. The floor was tiled with silver, black, and blue checkered tiles while the walls had the same colors, but were striped rather than checkered. The shower could have fit four people and on top of that there was a massive bathtub with an array of buttons off to one side. Charlie excitedly explained to Ben the different uses of the buttons, though he wondered how anyone remembered what each did. The toilet stood by itself in a corner and Ben was pleased to find there were no extra buttons or anything that looked super extravagant.
After they had shown Ben around the room, the boys sat down to speak. Charlie bounced about on the bed beside Ben, chattering away excitedly about his school and friends while William sat down at the desk and began to read his book again. It amazed Ben how quickly he turned the pages. The sick feeling in his stomach began to fade away as the three of them relaxed together. Charlie paused him his talk about himself and began to ask what had happened to Ben.
“Later, Charlie. Let him rest first, I'm sure he doesn't want to re-experience being on the island with the Hunter again.” William scolded.