Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 37

going back to sleep, but he was too restless. Instead, he fished the little book out from under his pillows and left the room. Carefully remembering the way he had come into the room, he made his way down to the main floor, where he startled a woman cleaning the floor. He politely asked for directions to the rose garden he had seen outside his window and she happily took him to the back door, warning him that the front door was armed and an alarm would go off if he tried to return that way.
Ben strode out into the night and stifled a cough. Although the air was far better than that of the city, it was still not as clear as the air of the island had been. Ben made his way into the rose garden and stood by the pond for a moment before he continued into the trees, away from anyone who might have been watching. The moon was full and cast a bright enough light that he could read by, even hidden away in the trees. He wished he could have climbed one of the trees like Toby was able to, but that was not an ability of his, so he did not try. Instead, he settled down to read with his back against the trunk of the tree.
The little book turned out to be a diary-Ben's, it seemed-and started perhaps only three months before Ben was taken to the island. The Ben of the past was, apparently, paranoid by nature. The writing detailed events in which he saw someone following him that he was certain his rooms and clothes were bugged. His father had suddenly become withdrawn and unfriendly, and William was acting odd. Ben was so paranoid he had locked himself up in his room, refusing to take meals or hear the words of his siblings or father. Toward the middle of the book, Ben had written a few words before the rest of the pages were blank.
I feel so betrayed. My own brother has gone up against us. And he's going to be sending me to the Purgatories. He said it himself. Someone, help me!
Ben startled as he heard a door slam shut in the direction of the rose garden. Hiding the book away in the waistline of his pants, Ben got to his feet and slipped closer to the house. A tall figure was standing in the middle of the garden and Ben recognized him as his father. He hovered at the edge of the forest, not wanting to confront the man, but his father suddenly looked up and saw him.
“Ben, you should be resting.” The man frowned.
Ben did not give a reply and the man sighed. He strode forward until they were only a few feet apart.
“You don't remember much, do you?” The man asked quietly.
“No...Not really.” Ben replied hesitantly.
His father nodded and then fished around in his pocket for a moment before he pulled out what looked at first like a metal pen. He pressed down on the cap and a shrill ring filled the air. Ben crouched down, covering his ears and shutting his eyes against the sound, but it only lasted a second.
“I'm sorry, I should have warned you first. That sound breaks the listening devices in the area. If we speak quietly we should be safe until someone comes looking for us.” Ben's father told Ben, sounding old and tired rather than cold and noble as he had when Ben first met him.
“William's?” Ben asked for confirmation and his father nodded.
“He's after some sort of information and he thinks you have it. Ever since he went to work for your mother, he's been like this. I did not believe he meant anyone any harm until he black mailed Mr. Setter into dragging you into the Correctional Programs.” He sighed.
“What did they want from you? I was told you had to pay some sort of ransom.” Ben asked, curious.
“I am to assist in their projects, which may be as simple as hosting a few Guards and Hunters while they visit the city or may be as extreme as funding some of their bigger project, such as adding a fifth purgatory or some other program. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you do not seem to have changed much. You seem much more stable than you were.”
“I don't know what I was like before, but if I was as paranoid as it seems I was, I am almost glad I went to the islands. In the end, it worked out well, I think. I learned how difficult it is to survive, for one, how to make alliances, and that I seem to get into all sorts of trouble.” Ben chuckled with forced humor.