Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 39

“Just answer the God damned questions, Ben!” William snapped.
“Why should I? What's so important to you?” Ben replied angrily.
His anger caught William by surprise. In the past, Ben would have never raised his voice against William.
“Because...because I told you to!” William stuttered.
“If you want to know about the islands so badly, just go yourself, you annoying prick.” Ben grumbled, and pushed William aside.
Without warning, William struck out at Ben, smashing his fist against the side of Ben's head. Cursing, Ben stumbled to the side, but William did not give him a moment to recover and kicked his feet out from under him. Ben rolled back up to his feet immediately and charged at William.
“Boys!” Their father's voice rumbled, echoing through the entire house.
Ben looked up, but William leaped on his younger brother, punching Ben, hard. Their fight started anew, with the two of them rolling about on the floor shouting and trying to get the upper hand. Their father hovered nearby, not sure what to do, as both his sons were at the age where they were considered men and were responsible for themselves. Ben shoved William to the ground and pressed his arm against his brother's neck.
“What is your problem?!” Ben snarled as William struggled and coughed underneath him.
William did not stand a chance, however. Ben, now that he was well fed and healthy, was far stronger. He held William down easily until their father decided that was plenty enough.
“Ben!” Their father growled.
Before he could get any further with his scolding, the doorbell rang. Ben had no memory of ever having heard the bell ring and based on the expressions of his family, they had not ever heard it before either. It was a low, eerie sound that made the very air vibrate with each loud chime and it went on for a good three minutes. None of them moved until it had stopped and then all of them moved at once. Ben got up off of William and bee lined it for the bathroom, William rolled over, gasping and scrambled away, back up the stairs. Their father made his way briskly to the door as two house-workers scrambled to get to the door before their master could.
By the time Ben came out of the bathroom, his father was deep in conversation with the man at the door, who now stood in the middle of the grand foyer. He looked like one of the Guard, but instead of silver, he was dressed completely in black. He was pulling his helmet off of his head and Ben joyfully realized he recognized the man.
“Hi Ben,” Toby called, although he sounded less than happy.
“You know this man?” Ben's father asked uneasily with a frown.
“Yes, sir. He was with me on the island. My companion, Toby.” Ben nodded.
“Ben, we need to talk.” Toby said, striding past Ben's father and pushed Ben back into the bathroom.
“Why haven't you contacted Claire?” Toby growled.
“Not here, Toby. Everything's bugged.” Ben muttered and Toby snorted.
“I know, but don't worry about it. I have equipment that cuts the connection while I'm near them. Whoever is spying on you won't be able to hear us. Now talk, why haven't you gotten in contact with her? She's been driving me mad asking if I'd heard from you.” Toby sighed.
“That robot can drive someone mad?” Ben asked, but only earned a burning glare from Toby.
“Fine, fine. I didn't try to get in contact 'cause I've never felt the need to.” Ben shrugged.
“She was hoping you'd be depressed and call her up within the first few days. I finally got a hold of your address and came hunting for you so she'd shut up.” Toby told Ben.
“Why? What does she want from me?” Ben questioned.
“She's planning something big, that's all I can say. Kain'll beat me again if I tell you more.” Toby replied.