Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 4

wondered if the food would make Toby more clear headed, but he somehow doubted that. When the fire had started, Ben plopped down next to it and closed his eyes.
What seemed like moments later, the scent of cooked fish filled his head and hunger forced him awake. Toby was sitting silently beside him holding four sticks just above the fire. He had woven the meat on the sticks and was patiently cooking them, his eyes never leaving the fire. Ben sat up, feeling over heated and scooted away from the fire.
“Almost done?” He asked hungrily.
“There's some done over there. I ate already, so you can have the rest.” Toby replied, turning to nod toward their tent.
Ben wasted no time and crawled over, his mouth watering. Toby had made crude, wooden bowls out of a section of a fallen tree and in one of them steamed a watery soup of chopped fish, fat from the fish and some herbs. It took all of Ben's will power not to down the whole thing and he took a bit of time to cool it down. When he could bare it no longer, he lifted the bowl to his lips and greedily drank it. It burred his throat, but was probably the best thing he had ever eaten. He ate slowly, but only did so to avoid his tongue being burnt. His stomach bubbled and grumbled, but the food stayed down as he licked the bowl, trying to get every last bit.
“You are a god, Toby.” Ben chirped happily and was answered with a snort.
“You're the one who caught it.”
“I would have eaten it raw if I was alone.” Ben admitted and Toby gave another snort.
“But, you wouldn't have been alone. If I wasn't here, I'm sure it still would be.” Toby replied, pulling one of the sticks out and setting it aside.
Ben frowned and did not reply. He was not sure why Toby seemed to be so calm about the topic, but it made Ben nervous. They did not know what that thing was, if it truly was friendly or just taking it's time hunting them. It did no good to dwell on it, however, he had other things he could be thinking about. Ben rolled to his feet and made his way back to the coast, not saying a word to Toby.
The tide had gone back out and Ben wanted to see if anything had washed ashore that they might be able to use or eat. Searching around he spotted something in sand farther down the beach. Not certain what he was seeing, he walked toward it, swiftly finding it was farther than he had originally thought. He pulled off his bandanna and used it to cover his head from the heat. As he neared, Ben realized it was a bunch of large rocks in the form of a V, pointing toward the ocean. Thinking it might be an arrow, he went to the front to study what lay beyond, but found nothing of interest other than open ocean. The rocks did not even point to one of the surrounding islands. Confused, Ben wandered into the mouth of the V only to come to a complete stop.
There were two sets of footprints in the sand and they were far to big to have been Toby's, one leading into the V and one leading out, apparently dragging something. Fear spiked through Ben and he stumbled back, his eyes following the trail of footprints leading back toward the trees. There was nothing there, and he was not certain the tracks were fresh, but he did not stay any longer. Perhaps it was the creature from the lake, perhaps not, either way, he was not exactly certain he wanted to find out who had come and gone, if they were going to return. He scrambled back to the camp and reported his findings to Toby.
“It's a fish trap, by the sounds of it. We should leave a message.” Toby mumbled, propped lazily up against a tree, his toes digging holes in the dirt.
“That's not a good idea.” Ben frowned, paranoid.
“Why not? Maybe they don't know we are here. I'm sure they'll be willing to help.” Toby asked, confused by his companion's fear.
“People should have noticed us by now, Toby. We haven't been exactly hiding ourselves,” Ben replied, kicking a stick into the fire, “If they are human, it makes you wonder why they haven't approached yet.”
“Maybe they're trying to figure us out. Or maybe they are paranoid like you. Don't worry.” Toby