Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 40

“How often do you get beat by him? I imagine that that's not very pleasant, seeing how big he is.” Ben mumbled.
“I'm training under him, so about every day.” Toby sighed.
“They aren't going to come looking for you, are they?” Ben asked uneasily.
Ben did not like the thought of an angry Kain.
“No, Vince is just outside, waiting for me. And God is it good to see you again.” Toby told them and grabbed Ben into a hug.
At that moment, William threw open the door.
“What the Hell is going on in...”
He swiftly trailed off as he saw the two of them with their arms wrapped together. Ben glanced up and then scowled at his brother. Toby glanced back as well and William paled.
“Wh-what's a Black Guard doing here?” William sputtered, backing away.
Toby let go of Ben and turned to Ben's brother. He examined him up and down and then gave a scoff.
“Just try to get in contact with Claire, alright?” Toby called over his shoulder and strode forward.
William tripped over his own feet getting out of Toby's way and Ben followed his friend to the door. Both William and their father slunk after him, wanting to see what exactly was going on. Vince looked up when they opened the door and grinned when he saw Ben. He waved merrily and Ben waved back, glad to see a familiar face. He still was not remembering much about the groups of men he often hung out with during the day. Toby patted Ben's shoulder before he leaped down the stairs to join Vince. The two men strode swiftly down the driveway, around the corner, and then were gone.

“You took your time,” Claire said, as emotionless as ever, when Ben finally got a hold of her.
It was the day after Toby's visit and Ben had figured out how to call her fairly easily. All he had needed to do was look up the number for the Guards' personal calls and request to speak to her. The hard part had been actually talking to her. Ben tried four different times, but she was not around for a single one of them. She finally called back early the next morning and left a message telling Ben when he could call her.
“I wasn't exactly planning on calling you at all,” Ben grumbled.
“You would have broken eventually. I know you miss the islands.” Claire replied.
Ben did not admit that she was right and instead swiftly changed the topic.
“So, why are you so desperate for me to call? Toby came by yesterday just to make sure I would. And by the way, what are you doing to him?” Ben demanded.
“He's training to be a Black Guard. It was the only was I could get him off the islands legally. He'll be my personal body guard.” Claire explained.
“You don't seem to need one, not to mention three,” Ben stated, thinking of Vince and Kain.
“Vince and Kain are my partners, not my body guards. And it doesn't matter, it lets me keep Toby close which is what I wanted.” Claire replied.
“Sounds like love,” Ben scoffed.
To his surprise, Claire laughed.
“Oh, it may just very well be. The same kind of love between you and-”
“Whatever,” Ben snapped, cutting her off, “what did you want?”
“Fine. I'm going to be in town with the three of them and a few others in three days, I want to meet up with you to see how things are going. Based on the fact that your place is covered in bugs, I've been wondering about your safety.” Claire sighed.
“Well...” Ben paused, not exactly sure how safe he was.
“Anyway, meet us in the park by that hideous building they call a mall.” Claire said.