Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 41

“Time's Park? Alright. I'll be at the fountain in the middle. What time?” Ben said, looking forward to seeing Toby again.
“Nine am. See you in three days.” Claire declared, and then hung up.
Ben glanced over his shoulder and saw a retreating shadow. He sighed heavily and put the phone down. He made his way to his father's library and went inside. It was the one place he felt truly safe in the house. It was the least bugged spot, as far as he knew, as the only time William had a chance to place bugs was when new books came in. His father did not bother to look up from his work as Ben walked into the massive room; it was protected by several passcodes as well as a finger scanner. Ben strode over to stand beside his father.
“I'd like to meet with some people I know in three days, do we have any plans?” Ben asked softly when he father glanced at him.
“In three days? No, not in particular. Who are these people?” His father asked.
“One of them is the Black Guard you met yesterday and the people he works for. They were the ones who brought me back,” Ben explained.
His father scowled at the mention of the Guards.
“Are you sure you want to risk it? They are dangerous people, Ben. William might have something up his sleeve again.” His father warned.
“Toby would never allow something like that. We relied on each other the whole time on the island, I don't think it's a bond that will be easily broken.” Ben replied carefully.
His father studied Ben's face for a moment before he sighed.
“Fine, do as you wish. It will be good for you to be out of William's many eyes for awhile. Just be careful, there will be a group of hunters in the city that day.” His father grumbled and then returned to his work.
The news that there would be hunters in the city sent a thrill through Ben. All his dreams lately had been about Max. About their time spent together, guesses as to what he was doing now, fantasies about Max coming to beat some sense into William or to kidnap Ben...among some other fantasies. Ben selected a book at random, but he did not focus on it much. What if Max was going to be there? Was this the big thing Claire was planning?
The next two days were filled with excitement for Ben. Charlie caught it and would bounce around excitedly with Ben whenever they were together. William lurked about, but kept clear away from Ben, likely wanting to avoid another fight he knew he would lose. On the third morning, Ben pulled out his clothes from behind the painting and put them on. They had not been touched; he had put a thin layer of flour on them and the book to be safe and it had not been disturbed. He decided to bring along the book as well. He carried it with him, hoping to torture William with the sight of something he did not know about. Ben planned to give it to Claire for safe keeping.
“Where did you get those clothes?” came William's voice as Ben closed the door to his room.
Be gave no reply other than a snort and he continued walking. Down the first set of stairs, then the second, and straight to the door, William trailing behind. Ben was walking out the front door to get into the car his father used as the driver waited within, when a loud rumbling whit care came down the driveway, blocking the path of the driver. It pulled to a stop, and Toby got out, leaving the car running.
“I'm picking you up today, Ben.” Toby called.
“Ben,” the driver began, but Ben strode past, ignoring the man.
Toby offered Ben a smile before he got back int the car. Ben slid into the passenger seat and within seconds they were flying down the driveway.

They waited together at the park, getting a lot of nervous glances from those passing by. Many took one look at Toby and turned around to go a different way.
“What exactly is a Black Guard?” Ben whispered as Toby pulled off his helmet.