Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 45

Toby simply gave a low bow in acknowledgment and turned away with a sigh. He and Ben wandered over to a more or less quiet corner to watch the party.
“Her job is to dance?” Ben asked, mostly joking.
“She's security. They're trying to blend in with the others so that if anyone comes in, they won't know what hit them. Granted, everyone here can take care of themselves perfectly well.” Toby shrugged.
“What exactly do they need security for?” Ben asked.
“Ever wonder why you've never heard about what goes down in these parties of their's?” Toby asked.
Ben only shrugged; he had never thought about it. In the first place, he was not even aware this had been a thing.
“Hunters like their privacy and Guards will only truly relax when there are no civilians or prisoners around. Once you leave, this place will supposedly become really wild. No one from the outside is allowed to be part of this and some people are desperate to get in. Fortunately, hunters have a nasty reputation for hunting down and tormenting anyone who invades their space. Particularly reporters and other media.” Toby explained.
“So basically, my brother.” Ben huffed.
“Yeah. Consider it an honor that you've been welcomed here. We should probably go and mingle so that people don't complain that it was pointless to allow you in.” Toby nodded.
Harrison hopped over to them before they could so much as take a few steps away from the wall with two other hunters behind him. He introduced them as Fern, a young woman who was enjoying her first vacation after two years of living on her island, and Carter, who maintained the island directly to the north of Max's. Ben forced himself to relax as best he could, but something in the back of his mind kept pointing out to him that these people were killers. If he was on their islands, they'd likely not treat him as Max had. Harrison invited the two of them to go with him into the back, where there was food and some quiet. They followed him and his two companions to the opposite end of the doors they had come into the building through and under an archway into a large dining room. One wall was filled with various foods that made Ben's stomach rumble and the rest of the room was laid out with round tables and plastic chairs.
“We used to have metal chairs, but three years ago a fight broke out and for safety reasons we were forced to switch to plastic,” Fern whispered to Ben with a laugh.
Ben chuckled, just to humor her before hunting down a plate to fill with food. He recognized most of the food, but some of it he was certain he had never seen before. Interestingly enough, at the center of the table, sat a deer skull. Ben paused at it and lightly stroked it's forehead.
“Come on, kid! Keep moving!” A hunter barked at him, jolting him out of his memories.
Ben shook his head to clear it, but it did no good. He gathered up more food, but he had lost his appetite. He followed Toby to a table at random and sat down to nibble at the food. Toby watched him closely before he sighed,
“I'm sure Max'll visit eventually.” He tried.
“I doubt I meant much to him. He said it himself; he didn't love me.” Ben grumbled and stabbed his fork into a piece of meat.
Harrison, who had come to sit while they were speaking, laughed.
“Max never leaves his island for anyone or anything. I think the only time I've seen him off it was when he was still in training. You should go visit him.” The man grinned.
“I thought that wasn't allowed.” Ben pointed out and Harrison laughed again.
“There are loopholes, especially if the council wants to be on your good side. Just steal something and get caught doing it, then while you are being held, write them a letter stating exactly what you want.” Harrison suggested.