Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 46

“I'm not so sure that would work. For petty theft, he's just be sent to the Correctional facility and that's it. May as well try to kill someone or punch a politician.” Carter said as he and Fern also joined them.
“Don't tempt him!” Harrison giggled and they all grinned at each other.
“I don't think there's any reason to go back. I'm not shallow enough to chase someone who is not interested in me.” Ben replied, and placed a small piece of chicken in his mouth.
“Fine, fine, ruin our fun. I'd have liked to see the face on that kid if you ever did go back. Let me know if you decide to, I'll help you out!” Harrison huffed.
“He's not going to be committing any crimes. It's my job to make sure of that while I'm here.” Toby snapped.
“Ooh, the scary Black Guard has spoken! Tremble! Tremble and bow down to him!” Carter cried, leaping from his seat to get down on the ground and playfully bow.
Toby glowered at the hunter, but even Ben gave a laugh at that.
“Don't worry about doing anything stupid, Ben,” Fern whispered, “I'll drag that Max out here for you! We're supposed to take care of our lovers, are we not?”
She winked at Ben and then pulled Carter up off the floor by his ear. Ben smiled at her, but did not think it would actually happen. Her offer was probably just said in goodwill, to cheer him up. The five of them chattered for awhile before they returned back to the main room. A space had been cleared in the middle, where a wild fighting match between four hunters and three Guards was taking place. Ben relaxed more and he and Toby spent the rest of the night with Harrison, Fern and Carter. They chatted, watched fights and other games that went on, and even danced together.
Just as Ben was starting to get tired, Claire appeared and pulled him away, proclaiming it was far past his bed time and time for him to return home. He was promptly kicked out with Toby and the two walked back the mile or so to Toby's car and Ben was driven home.
“Apparently they've got some top secret events going on that you're not allowed to see. We'll tell you all about it tomorrow,” Toby smirked as he dropped Ben off at his front door.
“Yeah, right.” Ben snorted and bid his friend goodbye.
Remembering that the alarm would be set off if he went in through the front door, Ben went around back to the rose garden. He paused to look up at the moon for a few moments and then sighed before he went into the house. Tired and depressed, he quietly slipped in and up the two flights of stairs to his hallway. He was about to open the door when he heard a soft sound within. Thinking it was William snooping about, Ben shoved the door open in a rage.
“What do you think you are doing in here?!” He snarled at the figure who was standing by his window, looking out.
As soon as the words left Ben's lips, he realized it was not William. He jerked back in surprise and tried to flee, but the person was faster and had him pinned down against the wall in seconds. A calloused hand grabbed his wrists tightly as familiar lips met his in a passionate kiss. Ben turned away with a gasp, unable to breathe and stared up into the familiar golden eyes of Max. Max's hand moved down Ben's arms to gently grab his face to pull him into another, slightly more controlled kiss and then Max pulled away to grin down at Ben.
“Surprised?” Max whispered.
Dumb struck, Ben could only nod, lowering his own hands to cling to Max's shirt. He stared up into Max's face and tried to find his voice, but could not. Max gave a chuckle and pulled away, moving to sit down on Ben's bed.
“I heard about what was going on and decided it was time for a short vacation.” Max stated, looking around the room.
“How did you get here?” Ben asked softly.
“I caught Vince hiding something of interest on my island, so I stole his boat. I just managed to