Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 6

“Wrapped it up and hung it in a tree. I'll show you later. Oh, I left some out for our friend too, but it looked untouched this morning. I guess he doesn't need it.” Toby replied with a shrug.
Ben sighed, but said nothing more until they got to the beach. The tide was just coming in, so they decided not to go to the fish trap, though Ben pointed it out to his companion. Toby began to pace again, but unlike usually, he paused from time to time to share his thoughts with Ben.
“We should probably build one too. I don't want to piss this guy off by stealing his fish. We should try to make snares as well. And maybe some spears to hunt with. Or a bow and arrow.”
“I'm not sure we should be going after those deer, if that's what you are thinking.” Ben huffed with a shiver.
“What do you mean?” Toby asked, looking up at Ben.
“There's something not right about them. I'd say we need to leave them alone.” Ben replied.
“Well, whatever. Rabbits and birds should be plenty enough since there are just two of us.” Toby shrugged and resumed his pacing. They were forced back from where they stood by the rising tide and eventually Ben turned away and headed back to the camp. He found the fish, as Toby had said, untouched aside from bugs, sitting in one of his bowls slightly in the trees surrounding their camp. Not wanting it to go to waste, Ben shooed away the flies and ants and nibbled on it blissfully. Just having food was so great a thing he thought he might dance about, but he had to save his energy.
Instead, he started to gather up more sticks and branches, hoping to make a large pile for their fire, and also to find a new branch for the fishing pole. He wandered away from the camp a good distance, but kept the river to his right. He paused when he was alongside the lake where he had met the weird human, but then decided to turn back and dump the load he was carrying back at the camp. As he did, he thought he caught sight of moment as he turned, but saw nothing. Shaking his head, he picked up his pace.
Ben spent the rest of the day going about, collecting various odds and ends for Toby or for the fire. Toby set about to finishing his half made baskets, to gathering rocks for the fish trap he wanted to make, vines and leaves for various snares, and a few other projects. Around noon they both paused to eat some of their left over fish and Ben took a quick bath in the river to cool himself down. He brought water back to the camp for Toby to drink in one of his bowls and then went back to collecting. By the time night fell, Ben was exhausted, but felt as if the day had been well spent. Toby managed to finish one of his baskets, but the other two he scrapped. He managed to make three working snares, though they decided to set them up the next day. Ben lit the fire and sat down near it with the pole and began to untie the stretched out cloth from the cracked branch.
Toby got to his feet and nimbly climbed up one of the larger trees that held part of their tent and brought down the left over fish, which, as he had said, was wrapped in some of the larger leaves from trees on the island. Ben watched with slight interest, but then went back to his task. It should not have taken him as long as it did, but Ben was tired and took his time. It might have been easier if Toby allowed him to use one of their sharp rocks, but Ben had been forbidden to do as such.
It was not long before Ben nodded off. Toby took pity on him some time later and dragged him into the cover of the tent. The bigger boy woke slightly, but was not much help in getting himself to bed. Toby had to wrestle the finished fishing pole away from him and then put out the fire before he could feel comfortable doing anything else. Not long after, he joined Ben in the tent and laid down to sleep. He could hear rustling of leaves and the click of bones hitting each other in the darkness. Rather than being frightened, as Ben would have, Toby gave a small smile and curled up, knowing they were being watched over by their strange new friend.

Ben jerked awake early the next morning. The sky was still dark, but birds were singing and there was a bit of light forming in the sky to the east. He could smell meat again and, once more, found a chunk of meat sitting on the large rock near his head. Toby had moved the rock into the pile for his