Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 8

ordeals. Wisps of pure black hair were glued to his forehead with sweat, keeping the man's vision clear, though Ben wondered just how well he could see under all those leaves. Well enough, it seemed.
“You...You're human.” Ben said, stupidly and earned a laugh.
“I guess so. Almost as human as you are. Come on, let's get out. I can't be here too long,” the man shrugged, getting to his feet.
He offered Ben his hand and helped him stand. Ben took a moment to pull his fishing pole out of the water before looking back up at the strange man.
“Who are you?” Ben called, chasing after the man, who had made his way back to dry land.
“I'm Max, but that's all I can say for now. I've got to go, but don't worry, Ben. I'll be watching.” He answered.
Max replaced the mask and darted off into the trees after the deer at an incredible speed. Ben stared after him, his mind whirling with more questions than before. At least, he thought, I now have a name and a face. Shaking his head, Ben decided it may be best to simply return to the camp rather than hang around where that 'Killjoy' might return. He gave a small grin; he was sure Toby would love the story.

“Max? That's a lame name. I was expecting something like Hibibi or Natavina or something more exotic than...Max.” Toby frowned, disappointed.
“Well, it's better than a name like Ben,” Ben shrugged.
“Your name is fine. At least it's not Bob. Everyone is named Bob,” Toby snorted, not looking up from his work with his basket.
“You're not Bob, so not everyone could be called Bob,” Ben argued jokingly.
“Shut up, Ben. Go check out the fish trap and see if we caught anything.” Toby snorted.
Ben got to his feet with a laugh and went to do as he was told. He kept a keen eye out for the crazy deer in case it came after him again, but he saw nothing of that size. He also kept a look out for Max, but if he followed Ben, he made sure he was not seen. Either way, Ben enjoyed the walk to the beach; the birds were singing cheerily and Ben was pleased to know they were not being hunted by a monster. As it was, he did not think they were being hunted at all; Max seemed like a good guy. Granted Ben based that off of all of about three minutes of interaction with the man. Max had been feeding them and saved him, so he could not be all that bad.
Reaching the beach, Ben glanced around, trying to find where they had placed the rocks but frowned as he realized they had vanished. To be certain, he wandered up and down the beach and into the water, searching, but he found nothing. The only fish trap around was the large one Ben had found earlier, probably made by Max. Puzzled, Ben turned around to report back to Toby. Once he had gone well into the shade of the trees, something grabbed Ben by his ankle and tripped him.
“Don't bring attention to yourselves. Make nothing on the beach. As it is, you two should start making a new camp,” Max whispered somewhere to Ben's right.
When Ben scrambled back up to his feet to look around, Max was nowhere to be seen. None of the undergrowth or bushes around Ben could have hidden someone. Ben frowned, even more confused, but began moving once more. He reached the camp and glanced up at their bright, yellow tent and considered Max's words.
“Nothing?” Toby called when Ben did not say anything.
“Huh? Oh, no they're gone.” Ben mumbled, distractedly.
“What?! Are you joking?!” Toby yowled and Ben turned to face the other boy, surprised.
“No...I...I think Max may have done it. He said we can't draw attention to ourselves...” Ben sputtered.
“Yeah, we sure won't draw any attention when we're DEAD! Where is this jack ass?! I've got a few words for him!” Toby spat, throwing down his basket and standing, looking around.
“We should listen to him, Toby. He probably knows what is going on here.” Ben offered softly.