‹ Prequel: Evermore

Everlasting

iv.

Mary laid wrapped in her husband's arms, his even breath revealing that he had drifted off to sleep the moment his head had hit the pillow.

A small smile tilted her lips as she stroked her fingers gently over his arm. The love she felt for him only magnified by her post coital bliss. Mary counted her lucky stars and sent a prayer up to God, for the dozenth time, thanking Him for giving her the perfect match to her soul.

Mary knew she was fortunate to have Jonathan. He was such a loving man, and always put her needs above his own, even when they shared their bodies with one another. She was privy to how most husband's treated their wives in the marriage bed; detachment and cold gestures were commonplace. The wife was to silently endure while the husband stated himself but that was not Jonathan’s preference of the situation as she had learned on their wedding night.

Often Mary thought fondly on their lovemaking, reveling in the feelings that overcame her when they were as close as two souls could be. Jonathan’s touch was always light as a feather, his hands trailing across her skin, stoking the fire of her desire until she she screaming out in bliss. She had tried to hush herself that first night, afraid of the feelings he invoked but Jonathan quickly did away with her fears, demanding to hear her moans and gasps as he whispered encouragements to her.

While many wives felt the deed was a chore, Mary was always elated when her husband was home because it meant her nights, nearly all of them if she wasn't on her monthly course, would be filled with pleasure touches and the feel of his body inside her own.

“Get some rest, my Mary,” Jonathan groused from behind her, the husky words brushing over her ear on his outward breath.

Mary nodded and snuggled closer, her fingers still stroking him gently, “I will.”

“What troubles you, Dearest,” he asked, his voice not sounding as heavy with sleep as it had previously.

“Nothing,” Mary assured, turning slightly in his arms so she could look at him. In the darkness of their bedroom it was difficult to discern his features but she knew them all by heart; every wrinkle and scar was ingrained into her memory. “I am just thinking, is all. I did not mean to keep you awake.”

Jonathan’s arm, the one not pinned underneath her body, lifted so he could stroke her face gently. “You are not keeping me from sleep,” he reassured her as his hand trailed down from her cheek, his fingers skimming over the skin of her neck and upper chest before cupping the weight of her breast in his hand. “If you are not entirely exhausted then I did not do well by you previously.”

“Jon,” Mary sighed, before gasping sharply when he plucked the beaded nipple. “Surely you can't. Not again…”

He chuckled, arching into her so she could feel his growing erection against her hip, “Yes, again. I could do this all night if you wish it.”

Mary moaned, wanting to beg him not to let go when his fingers stopped toying with her breast to move farther down her body until his fingers began to stroke the hood of her sex, “Oh I wish,” she murmured breathlessly as she turned more completely in her husband's arms and laid her lips against his.
Image
July 4th, 1783 ;

Mary sat in silence, pouring over a book about botany, jotting down small notes on a piece of parchment as she did. In her quest of higher education, Mary had realized that she loved all things to do with nature, including gardening. And it was just her luck the gardens at Waverly Place were lacking in care.

“What are you doing, dearest?” Jonathan asked from the doorway.

Looking up to him Mary smiled, “I am trying to decide which flowers would be best to plant in the gardens so they do not always shrivel up and die.”

Jonathan smiled back, strolling over and setting a hand on her shoulder as he massaged it gently, looking down to read the list she had been compiling.

“I think our gardens will look lovely once you have completed it but never as lovely as you.”

Mary smiled and closed the book and stood from her chair, “Are the boys still with Miss Hatley?”

“Yes, she has them well in hand. I have not heard one peep from them since we broke our fast. I have decided I will be leaving tomorrow for town. It is time I get back.”

Mary slowly began to frown as she looked up at him, “You just arrived.”

“I know dearest but soon I will be home to stay for a long while,” Jonathan encircled her in his arms, pulling her close so she could lay her head on his solid chest. Mary loved to hear the sound of his heart beating in his chest, the strong rhythm that seemed to beat in unison with her own.

“I was hoping that maybe when you go that we could all go together,” Mary began slowly, hoping her husband would not deny her request. Wives often did not accompany their lord husbands to town, and most assuredly not with the children but Jon was not like all other husbands. He did not keep a mistress, have a gambling problem nor was he particularly fond of drinking. It was the pillar of perfection when it came to being a husband. “I wanted to ask sooner but I just did not know when, I know the boys would very much enjoy a trip to town. I will make sure we do not pester you too much.”

Jonathan just frowned, “Mary, I would love to take you all with me but it requires a bit more time to arrange things than just a night. There would be packing not to mention we would need an extra carriage to accommodate for the children, the nurse and the governess.”

Mary let out a long sigh, trying not to show that her hopes had been crushed. “I understand. I just… we all miss you when you are gone. The boys always pine for you, they mourn you in your absence and I do too. I miss having you next to me.”

“I understand, Dearest and I promise you I will not be gone for very long. A month or two at most and then I will bring you all to town to be with me.”

“Truly?” Mary asked, hopefully looking up at him with shining eyes.

“Truly,” he assured. “I am sure the boys will be happy to hear the news. They have only been to town once and spent much of the time indoors.”

“Oh Jonathan,” Mary breathed excitedly, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him tightly as she tried to keep herself from jumping up and down in happiness. “The boys will be so excited. I am so excited.”

Jonathan laughed, “I am glad. Now how about we go find the boys and ensure they are not pestering their governess too much.”