Sable

One

Sable took the lid off the trash can and placed it on the table. She brushed her long, curly red hair back and tied it up before lifting the trash bag and tying it shut. It was the end of her shift, and she wanted to make the clean up for closing easier on her friend Alex.

"I'm taking the trash out before I go!" she called over her shoulder. Loud footsteps came rushing toward her before she could move an inch. Strong, tanned arms were thrown around her.

"You're leaving me already?" Alex whined.

"Yeah, well," Sable rolled her green eyes. "You have half an hour to clean up everything, and the restaurant is already closed so you'll be fine. I'm giving you one less thing to do." She turned around in his arms so she could look at him. There was a pout on his lips.

"Well, I suppose I can't keep you here," he said. He ducked his head toward hers, and she knew what he was about to do.

"Knock it off," Sable slapped his arm and turned away from him. His kiss met the back of her head, and the impact of his nose against her skull hurt a little.

"Ouch," Alex said, rubbing his nose.

"Serves you right," Sable said. She lifted the trash bag and headed toward the back door. She gave him a glare before turning the door knob. Alex pouted at her again. "Have a good night, Alex," she rolled her eyes and walked out the door.

"You still have your bag in here," he called after her.

"I'll get it when you're done being weird," Sable yelled. "Get back to work!"

"Fine, fine," Alex sighed, and the back door closed between them.

Sable made her way over to the dumpster. The air on that hot, stuffy summer night suddenly grew cold. She shivered as she lifted the dumpster lid, quickly throwing the trash bag in.

The light in the alley burst as soon as the lid was closed, surrounding Sable in suffocating darkness. She sucked in a breath and felt around in the darkness. The light exploded? Terror ran up her spine, though she knew it was probably nothing. She felt her way along the wall.

Something covered her mouth and nose- a wet rag. She breathed in deeply due to panic, and as her head spun she realized that had been a mistake.

"Got you, goddess," a man whispered huskily in her ear. The world spun more and she quickly lost consciousness.

Sable's stomach flipped over and over once she regained consciousness. She awoke in a bed with deep red satin sheets. Extreme dizziness accompanied the nausea as she attempted to sit up to look around the room. It was dark, save for the candles that were lit and scattered around the room.

The world spun, and she fell out of the bed upon trying to stand up. A loud thump echoed around the room and she wondered briefly who would be there to hear her. Panic spread through her again and she scrambled to get to her feet. Her face burned.

She made it all the way over to the door when she heard voices. Her heart dropped to her stomach. Maybe they weren't coming for her? She pressed her ear against the door and listened.

They sounded like they were still a ways away. She pulled the door open and slipped out into the even darker hallway. Her head pounded, and her breathing grew heavier. Whatever was in her system felt like it was destroying her- she leaned heavily on the wall and held back vomit.

The world spun further, and odd shapes entered her vision. The voices grew louder and dread quickly bloomed in the pit of her stomach. She had ended up walking toward them, rather than away from them.

"No," she tried to say, but the word didn't come out right. It sounded slurred.

Sable collapsed, but she never made contact with the ground. She looked up into the crystalline eyes of the man who caught her. His arms were strong.

"What did you do to her?" he asked, pulling her back up to her feet. He pulled her tightly against him.

"Just a simple knockout drug," another man said. "It appears to have some strange side effects on her."

"Because she's not human, you moron," the man who was holding her yelled. "You have to be extremely careful with what you use on her. You have no idea what has what effect on her."

Not human? Use on her? They were going to do more to her? Sable panicked, squirming and attempting to get away from the man who held an iron grip on her. She had to get away. Where even was she?

"Hey, hey," the man holding her grabbed at her wrists. "Sable, calm down. You're alright here. I know this looks bad, but..."

"No!" Sable screamed. Tears ran down her cheeks, and she struggled against his hold. Her words were slurred, but she managed to get out, "Let me go!"

"Relax, goddess," the man said, releasing her. She attempted to turn and run from him, but suddenly her feet were no longer on the ground. "Let me take you back to our bedchambers."

Their bedchambers? New-found terror pulsed through her. What would he do to her? She looked up at him as he carried her back to the room.

"As soon as the drug wears off, she's going to be very mobile and trying to escape again," the man carrying her said. The other men followed them into the room. "Why weren't there any guards posted here earlier? Do you know what would happen if she fell into the hands of the enemy?"

"Sorry, sir," one of the other men said. "We've been so busy with everything that's been happening. We must have been distracted-"

"We cannot afford distractions," the man holding her said. She'd have to think of a name for him- blondie, his hair was golden in the candlelight. Blondie laid her gently back in the bed. "I'm sorry for all of the trouble, goddess. You need to rest more for now- and get the rest of that drug out of your system.

"You must be so confused and scared right now. All of these new and strange things are happening. Just remain calm; I'll explain everything in time," blondie said. He caressed Sable's cheek and then stood.

"Two guards must be posted outside the door at all times," he said, his voice icy. "Rest, my goddess."

A slow breath escaped Sable, and she found her eyes closing against her will. The darkness that was sleep swallowed her back whole once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edit [July 24th, 2016]: there are some parts that will seem like inconsistencies as you read through the chapters. I started really developing the story somewhere around chapter fifteen. They do get cleared up later on.