Sable

Twenty Three

The dip was fairly deep. Akeem held onto her hand as he guided her down and through the tunnel. Small water droplets fell from the mud above and around them. Sable worried that the earth above them would collapse, but she trusted Akeem would carry her away from any danger should it arise.

It was even cooler there, under the river, but it wasn't a bad-feeling cold. She pulled the cloak closer around her and looked around. Blue stones pressed into the mud glowed gently around them. Sable gently tapped Akeem's shoulder, and he turned to look at her.

"What are those?" she asked, pointing to the stones.

"Enchanted aquamarine," Akeem explained. "It's what keeps the tunnel from collapsing. It's been there for hundreds of years- or so I've been told."

"Wow," Sable whispered. All worry faded from her. A random thought came to her. "How- how did Inara develop such a connection to the earth? And how did she find this place?"

"The god of nature died early on, and passed the powers onto Inara," Akeem said. "Not that I had actually been there to experience it. There are texts in my village, regarding the gods. You can read them during our stay, if you like. As far as how Inara found this place goes... I guess it just called out to her."

"I would like to read them," Sable nodded. "How do you know when a god dies?"

Akeem gently took her arm and pulled her close, pulling her to a stop. The expression on his face was solemn as he stared down at her. Her lips parted slightly, and she returned the look with one of worry. He leaned his forehead against hers and sighed.

"We feel their loss deeply," he said quietly. "My village- we are a special people. That's why we remain hidden. It all goes deeper than the training."

They continued walking again.

There was a light starting to show at the other end of the tunnel. A nervous bubbling started in Sable's stomach. She herself had never been there before, but Inara had. Would she be welcomed- a mere human with the powers of a goddess?

Akeem took her hand in his to comfort her, and she squeezed his hand gratefully. It was definitely a much-needed confidence boost.

Her worry for Conor intensified- but disappeared once they exited the tunnel.

This side had not looked like a village, from where they had been standing before. It was just more forest and that wooden post. Bu after passing through the tunnel, they had entered the village. Sable looked from the houses, to the streets full of people, and then up to Akeem in wonder.

"What is this place?" she whispered.

"Welcome to The Veil," he said, grinning down at her. "My village. Come- we need to speak with the elders."

"Wait-" Sable started. Akeem had already begun walking, leading her along by her hand. "I'm not really actually a god. I'm not Inara. I just have all of her powers. Will they accept me still, knowing that?"

"Sable," he said. "You are her reincarnation. You are our hope." He squeezed her hand gently. "Of course they will accept you. Even if our existence continues after you die, having you around gives us a better fighting chance against the demons."

Sable nodded and allowed him to continue to lead her along. They walked up the winding path through the houses, up a long hill that led up to a lonesome building all the way at the top. He led her through the open doorway once they had arrived at their destination.

The building was really more like one rather large room, with three white-haired, bearded men sat in the center of the room. Akeem led her over to them, and Sable assumed that they were the elders.

"Akeem," one man spoke.

"Brother Micah," Akeem bowed to the man. He bowed to the second and then to the third, "Stefan, Don."

"You've brought Inara here with you," Stefan said. He and the other elders stood- and Micah was the tallest. Stefan addressed Sable then. "I have heard about the many accomplishments you have made, pushing back the demon's forces, once you had gone and collected our Akeem."

"Actually, I-" Sable tried.

"Inara is no longer among us," Akeem said slowly. The three men around them looked to him in confusion. "She was- well... When it happened, she was reincarnated. This is Sable. Did you not feel it?" Each of the elders shook their heads.

"We have felt nothing," Micah said.

"For the past twenty years?" Sable asked.

"IT must be due to her spirit continuing on," Don offered. He stepped forward and gently grasped Sable's chin, turning her head from side to side. Sable shook him off and moved to hide behind Akeem. "Remarkable. You look exactly like her. I'm assuming as you are her reincarnation, you were gifted with her abilities?"

"Of course," Sable growled at him. Akeem reached behind himself to hold her awkwardly with one arm.

"Please don't handle her like that," Akeem said.

"I can defend myself," Sable muttered. She glowered at the three men, wondering how he could trust in them.

"Sable," Akeem sighed. "She- she isn't Inara. But she is Inara's reincarnation and she still deserves to be respected like her. Even if she is just a human with the powers of the gods."

The three men before them nodded. They turned to each other and spoke in a language that Sable couldn't understand. She stepped forward and to Akeem's side, looking up at him with her eyebrows knitted together and her eyes wide, but he shook his head.

The men finally turned back toward them. Sable chewed her lip and Akeem placed an arm around her waist, drawing her close. Akeem had been away from the village for some time, could he still trust the elders?

"What have you come here for?" Stefan asked. "And we ask out of curiosity. We do not mean to seem hostile."

"Sable is in danger," Akeem said.

"The goddess is always in danger, as long as man exists," Don sighed.

"This danger is far greater," Akeem tried again. "Surely you must know of Finnian's threat. He only needs her capture to complete his ritual. He is a threat to us all. There are but a couple more days until the ritual can be completed, and they captured her once- if they-"

"And why weren't you there to protect her?" Micah asked. "Why weren't you there for Inara when her first body died?"

Akeem turned red and looked away. Sable gently touched his arm. He placed his hand over hers, a frown firmly on his face when he looked at her. Sable gave him a reassuring smile. For a moment she had confused him with Conor- almost trying to communicate through her thoughts. Silence came back to her and she remembered.

"I failed in my duty," Akeem said. He looked up at the elders with a burning fire in his eyes. "Please help me to prevent that from happening this time. The castle where Lucca is-"

"Is unsafe," Don continued for him. "It would be unwise for you to bring her there." Akeem nodded.

"Should I even trust Lucca?" Akeem asked them. "Finnian must be defeated, but we're in need of an army. And a safe haven for the time to pass. Sable cannot go back out there until the time for the ritual has passed."

"Lucca's army is loyal to him," Micah said. "But even more loyal to another."

"Finnian?" Akeem asked. The look of alarm on his face made Sable afraid. The three men shook their heads. His expression melted into something more stoic. "Conor."

"He will find his way back to you," Don assured them. "He has fought along side Lucca's army far more often than Lucca himself has. The army feels more connected to Conor."

"He's a vampire," Sable spoke. "Will he be welcome here, in this sacred village of yours? Will he even be able to find his way here?"

The elders fell silent. They turned to each other again and spoke in the mystery language once more. Akeem bit his lip and then stepped forward, away from Sable.

"The girl is determined to get back her vampire," he told them, an impatient tone to his voice. "You must allow him to enter the village. I don't know if I can keep her from going back out there after him."

"Very well," Stefan said, though he looked unhappy to be taking orders from someone lower in rank than him. "The vampire is welcome. I have no doubt he will be able to locate this village, with how strong his sense of smell is. You must take care of him. He is your responsibility. Should he cause any trouble..."

Akeem and Sable exchanged looks of relief.

"Thank you," Sable said. She was smiling.

"When Conor arrives, you must request him to gather the army," Stefan said. "And you, my dear, must receive further training. You are a lot stronger than you think- human."

The way he said that sparked something within Sable. She hoped it was a good spark.

"There are festivities tonight," Don said.

"To celebrate the coming of the new moon," Micah added.

"You may go and freshen up beforehand," Don continued. "Food is at the gathering hall, though there will be plenty more at the festival. We recommend attending- it will be good for you to enjoy yourselves. You may stay at Akeem's old home while you're here. And Sable- welcome to The Veil."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter.