Sable

Thirty Three

Sable peered over the boulder at the group waiting for them to make their move. Conor, Sable, and three other men were there- planning when to strike the group down below. Sable didn't feel ready, and that was what Conor was worried about. At Conor's command Sable would launch an energy snare at the outer three in the group down below.

Sable chewed her lip and looked back to Conor. He placed his hand over her shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"You're going to be fine," he whispered. "After you've frozen those three, we'll in after the rest. If you can- see if you can- well..."

Sable looked away from him, her eyes wide. Was that something she could do? It would change her completely. She looked back at Conor, and he smiled at her. Her eyebrows were furrowed.

"Okay, just keep them stuck in time, then," Conor sighed. "We'll take care of them all."

"I'm sorry," Sable whispered.

"Are you sure you can help fight?" Conor asked.

Sable's face fell. She had wanted to assist in the annihilation of all demons, but whether or not she could... kill something... That was something she had no clue if she could do. Her expression hardened and she nodded. She would have to then; she had already gotten that far. And she had witnessed so much death recently- she should have been used to it, as morbid as that was.

"I can do this," Sable said quietly, more to herself than to Conor. Conor nodded his head at her. He wagged two fingers then- the signal that it was time.

Sable sucked in a deep breath and released it slowly. She loomed over the boulder then, holding her hands out before her. A golden glow quickly came from them both and built up rapidly. She concentrated; it had to be done right. When the energy had finished building up, Sable wondered how their enemies hadn't noticed- it was such a bright glow. Not as bright as the Sun had been. Had Inara's powers glowed that brightly? Or was it a combination of Inara and Sable's past that made Sable so strong?

She released the glowing orb of energy, and it grew even larger as it flew. It hit not three, but four of the demons below. Something like electricity surrounded them, and they struggled against it. Within moments they turned blue and froze in place. The others with them became alert and looked up to Sable who darted back behind the boulder.

Before the remaining mobile demons could come after her, Conor and his men were upon them. Sable could hear the metal clang of blade meeting- well, perhaps not entirely metal clang. The demons were unarmed save for their claws and teeth.

Sable took another deep breath and peered down over the boulder again. Two bodies laid on the ground already- one of the demons, and one of Conor's men. Sable pursed her lips and shook her head. She would go down there and help fight.

She found the handle of her blade at her hip without looking. It felt cool to the touch. She carefully descended the rocks, making her way over to the paralyzed demons. She unsheathed the blade, hands shaking.

Hands found their way around hers, carefully guiding her. The hairs on her arms and the back of her neck stood on end. A warning of nearby danger spread through her- one that hadn't registered with the demons.

"Like this," a familiar voice whispered into her ear. He moved her hand forward, pushing the blade forward. It pierced the frozen demon, and a burst of electric blue spread from the blade to the demon.

The man behind her pulled her hands back, pulled the blade back out from the demon. The blue spread through the demon's veins like a poison. Cracks spread slowly over the demon's body until it burst into pieces. The hands let of of hers.

Sable trembled as she turned to look at whoever was behind her. An ear-piercing scream escaped her.

There was Finnian.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter. But I felt like it needed to end there at the time.