Sable

Five

Before they entered the ballroom again, Lucca placed a black mask over his face and a golden mask over Sable's face. He grinned and held his arm out to her.

"What's this for?" Sable asked.

"I'd rather not be recognized at this ball," Lucca explained. "We'd be stopped by so many people who'd want to speak with me or dance with me. We wouldn't be able to enjoy our evening." Sable felt her face grow warm and was glad for the mask hiding her.

"Okay," she nodded.

"Then, let's go in," he said. They linked arms and entered the room.

Beautiful music met Sable's ears. They made their way toward the center of the room, and Lucca released her arm. He held out his hand to her.

"May I have this dance?" he asked. Sable smiled.

"Yes, you may," she said, placing her hand in his.

It felt like a wave of electricity had gone through her. The spirit within her reacted strongly to his touch, and Sable froze for a moment and stared up at him. He placed his other hand carefully against the small of her back, raising their hands and drawing her closer. Sable placed her free hand on his shoulder.

They danced for hours, until the ball ended. Sable was enjoying herself, although the flicker of emotion Inara held for him danced within her heart on occasion. She felt like she could get lost in his eyes. But that wasn't how she actually felt; that was just how Inara felt. Sable's emotions were separate and, even if she found Lucca attractive, there wasn't anyone she had feelings for.

Lucca led her around the room gracefully. It was like they were gliding on air, the way he danced and guided her. She laughed as he spun her.

When the evening ended Lucca guided her back to the room.

"Thank you," Sable said as they walked. "I mean, you're holding me here against my will, and I really want to go home, but this night has been fun. I didn't think that fun was possible when you're being held prisoner."

"You're not a prisoner here, Sable," Lucca told her. "You're free to do as you please."

"As long as I stay here," Sable frowned.

"Well, there's that," Lucca sighed. "But you are not a prisoner. You're a very important being that we have to protect. There is a man out there who would consume you and your powers. We would like to prevent that, especially as it is in his best interest to make the existence of demons known to humans."

"Oh," Sable said quietly. "Well, that... sounds odd. I don't think we'd take it very well."

"He plans to enslave the humans," Lucca whispered. "Something Inara fought desperately against. You should have seen her- she was incredible. You have that potential."

Sable remained quiet after that. They walked in silence the rest of the way to her room.

"Thank you," she said, opening her door. Lucca shooed the guards away.

"Of coure," he said. "I don't think there will be a need for the guards anymore, will there?" Sable shook her head. "Tomorrow, I would like to begin teaching you how to better use your powers. Does that sound like something you'd want to do?"

"Can you teach me how to play the piano, too?" she asked. A slow grin formed on Lucca's face. He took his mask off.

"Of course," he said softly. He leaned down and placed a gentle kiss to the side of Sable's head, and then turned to walk away. "Have a good night, Sable. Get plenty of rest."

Sable removed her mask and touched the side of her head as she watched him go. It made her feel uncomfortable, but happy, at the same time; the things he did. It was like with Alex, only Alex just made her uncomfortable. Sable sighed and ducked into her room.

Once her door was shut she undressed and wandered over to the wardrobe. There were drawers beneath the doors, and she slid them open. There was an odd variety of pajamas within. Sable opted for a tank top and shorts, happy that there was at least that option. Wandering around in dresses that weren't from her time felt wrong, even if she would have felt out of place without them.

She blew out the candles and then slid under the covers and gazed out the window. The room was dark then, except for the moonlight streaming in through the open curtains.

"Pretty," she whispered before drifting off into sleep.

The darkness of her mind slowly transformed into vibrant colours. She was back in the ballroom, dancing and changing partners with the masked men and women around the room. Sable was laughing, and the people were saying things she didn't quite understand.

The room darkened, save for a pool of light in the center of the floor where Sable stood, and the crowd stepped away from her. She looked around in confusion.

"What's going on?" she asked; the only clear words she had heard in a while.

A man in a dark, feathered mask stepped closer to the edge of the pool of light. He looked familiar- the man she had first danced with. He stepped out into the light, holding his hand out to her.

"Alex?" she asked. He remained silent, so she took his hand and they danced.

"What are you doing here?" she tried again. "I thought I was alone. Did they take you, too?"

Still he remained silent as they danced. Sable pursed her lips, tightening her grip on him. There was no way he was going to slip away that time, and he was definitely going to answer her questions.

Their dance ended quickly, and he stepped back away from her, despite her tight grip on him. He held his arm out, gesturing toward something. The pool of light stretched outward, parting the crowd once more, and illumited a figure off in thhe distance.

"Oh," she said quietly. She looked back to Alex, but he was no longer there. Her heart sank. "Alex!?"

She looked around frantically, but he was nowhere to be seen. Her gaze refocued on the figure standing at the back. Would they know where Alex went? She made her way toward whoever they were.

He was tall, with dark, wavy hair. His eyes were a light green- like peridots. His build was similar to Lucca's, but wider and filled out better. He felt... familiar, but Sable had never met him in her entire life.

"Who are you?" she asked him.

He pulled her into his arms, burying his face in her hair. Sable returned the embrace and breathed in his earthy scent.

"You're in danger," he whispered by her ear. Sable shivered.

She sat upright in her bed, breathing heavily. Sunlight streamed in through the windows. She ran her hands through her hair, looking around wildly. What was that? Who was that? It was like they had known each other all their lives.

Sable shook her head.

"Enough of the weird crap," she muttered to herself. "This is just all getting way out of hand. I need some normal in my life."

She got up out of bed, detangling herself from the sheets after almost falling onto the floor because of them. She laughed at herself and rubbed her ankle. There were clothes from her era in the wardrobe, and Sable quickly changed into them; a pair of shorts and a shirt that said "messy hair, don't care" across the front. She grinned. There were converse at the bottom of the wardrobe, and she pulled them on over her socks.

"Cool," she said, checking herself out in the mirror. "The gown looked nice, but this looks much better and much more comfortable."

A knock on the door startled her away from the mirror.

"Who- who is it?" she called.

"Lucca," was his reply through the door.

"Oh," Sable scrambled to make her bed before pulling the door open.

"I'm glad you're awake," Lucca grinned down at her. His gaze then fell, examining the outfit she wore. "A little disappointed in your choice of clothing. But that's completely your choice."

"I needed something comfy," Sable said. "I've been stuck in a weird place, which seems to be stuck in the past, and I had a weird nightmare last night. This is probably as close to normal as I'm getting. And can we do the piano first? I really... want to focus on the other stuff later."

Lucca blinked. "Of course," he said after a while. "We could even completely skip the- other stuff, as you said, if you like?"

"No, we're still going to teach me how to use my powers," Sable shook her head. "I want to be able to defend myself properly. Just in case, you know."

"Fair enough," Lucca nodded. He held his arm out to her. "Shall we?"

"I think I'll pass on the whole arm-holding-thing," Sable pushed his arm back down. Lucca nodded again.

"Very well, then," he said. He turned and began to lead the way down the hall. "Follow me."

The walk wasn't too far, leading toward a decent-sized room. There was a piano in the center of the room, on a white circular rug, and there were white sofas placed around it.

"Do you have audiences usually, when you play?" Sable asked.

"In here, yes," Lucca answered. "I usually perform in here. There are many who enjoy my music that gather around to listen."

"Do you write your own pieces, then?" Sable asked again. They sat together at the piano.

Lucca chuckled, "On occasion. They are rather beautiful, and they take some time to perfect. I only place those for special audiences."

"I would like to learn one today, if that's alright with you," Sable said. Lucca looked over at her. She stared back up at him. His eyebrows were slightly raised.

After a long pause of silence he said, "Of course." He sorted through the books sat atop the piano before pulling one open to a page and replacing it at the front, and then gently took her fingers within his grasp.

"I know you can't read sheet music," he said. "So I will do my best to teach you. For now, we will play by ear." Sable nodded.

An hour into the lesson, Sable's stomach rumbled. They exchanged looks.

"Breakfast," Sable said.

"I forgot," Lucca nodded. He released her and stood from the piano, grabbing a bell off of the table next to it. He rang it. Sable wondered how they could hear him from so far away- and then remembered that she was in a castle full of vampires.

A lady came shortly after with a cart full of food; a mixture of breakfast and lunch items. Sable grabbed a few plates off the cart and sat with them at the table.

"Are you going to eat?" she asked.

"I think you would prefer if I didn't eat in front of you," Lucca said. There was a grim smile on his face when Sable looked up at him.

"Oh," she said. "Oh! Oh, god. I keep forgetting that you're all a bunch of vampires. Gross. You're right. Don't talk about it anymore or I'm going to lose my appetite."

"Eat," Lucca chuckled. "Stop thinking about it and just eat. You'll need your strength for the next lesson."

"Magic," Sable whispered, mostly to herself, as she ate. Lucca nodded.

He watched her eat her meal rather patiently. Sable glanced up at him a few times. She squirmed uncomfortably, pursing her lips.

"Could you not do that?" she asked.

"Oh," he said. He shook his head and looked away from her. "I'm sorry. I just- of course the two of you look exactly alike. You're her reincarnation. It's just... amazing to be able to see her face once again. It's like seeing a ghost- but a very pleasant experience."

"Well, I'm not her," Sable said as she chewed. "Don't forget that. I may have her spirit, but we are two entirely different beings."

"I know that," Lucca sighed. "As much as I wish she was back fully. Wonderful, that would be..."

Sable almost didn't want to finish her food, the wave of emotion she felt destroyed her hunger. She missed her friends and family; she missed her life. But she had never had to experience the loss- the actual death- of a loved one. Her heart ached for him.

"I'm sorry, I know it's tough- and weird," Sable said, sighing. She finished her food and set down her fork. "Well, I don't know really- about how tough it is. I haven't had anyone die on me before. But I do know that this has been a really weird experience for me. So can you at least try to look past the fact that I look like your dead fiancee, and remember that I'm a completely different person who thought she was just a normal human girl, but is now suddenly going through all these crazy changes in her life?"

"Sorry," Lucca said. "I've been selfish. I'll remember next time."

"Thank you," Sable smiled at him. He looked at her again and smiled back.

"Let's move on to the training," Lucca suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea," Sable nodded. "I'm ready to learn how to use these weird powers better. Are there other things I can do?"

"There are many, many things you can do, Sable," Lucca said. "And once you learn of them all, I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of power you're going to feel. I imagine for someone who's never had the pleasure of using magic before, it might feel quite exhilerating."

"Alright, alright," Sable waved her hand. "Let's get on with it already."

"Stand up," Lucca said. Sable did so. "Now, raise your hand..."