Status: In Progress

Something Worth Fighting For

One

Delilah was running for her life. She was tired and dirty, sweat dampening her long wavy brown hair. She was breathing heavy, her summer green eyes wide open. She didn't know where she was going. Eventually she'd get too tired to run anymore but she couldn't think of anything better to do at the moment. She didn't even bother to look back, she knew the walkers were still close behind.

Suddenly the seemingly endless array of trees parted, opening up to a huge field. She could see a big farm house and barn in the distance but she was sure it was abandoned like most places. Instead, a group of people came rushing to her. The walkers behind her were scary but so were the people. People couldn't always be trusted. She was too outnumbered, walkers behind her and a crowd of survivors in front of her.

Everything happened quickly. Gunshots so close to her that they hurt her ears, an arrow whizzing past her face...The walkers were on the ground dead. People were shouting. "Put your hands up!" A man with a shaved head was yelling, pointing his gun at her face. So she did as he said, standing there with her hands up struggling to catch her breath. "You got any weapons on you?"

"My knife on my belt," Delilah answered honestly. Her gun was gone and there were too many walkers to take down with her dagger.

Shane reached out to pat her down but she immediately backed away.

"Shane!" Rick said. "What's your name?"

"Delilah...Delilah Bradley," she said.

"Where'd you come from Delilah?"

"How'd you find my house?" an older man added.

"I had a group but they're gone...the walkers... was just runnin'. I didn't know this place was here. I'm sorry," she explained.

"You don't have anyone?" Rick asked.

She nodded. "No one."

"Just wait here a second."

Rick and the rest of the group huddled away from her, whispering harshly. There was obviously some disagreement on what to do with her. Then Rick came back to her.

"You can stay here with us for a while but you have to help out and if you try anything you'll be gone."

"I'll shoot you myself," Shane said.

"Do you understand?" Rick asked.

"Yes sir," she nodded.

"You don't have to call me sir. You can call me Rick."

He went on to introduce the whole group. Soon after, Delilah and Rick's group were eating lunch together. Delilah was starving. She stuffed her face, occasionally answering questions. She's thirty years old, from Georgia, and she has no family. She worked on cars in her father's shop and volunteered at the hospital in her free time, hoping to one day be a nurse so she could help people. She has good aim with a gun, knows how to use a dagger. cooks, can hunt, and fish.

Shane thinks she's kind of cute. She's about 5' 6", thin but with curves in the right places. She has perfect creamy skin with a bit of a sun-kissed tan from being out in the Georgia sun so much. There's a light sprinkling of freckles across the bridge of her small nose. According to Shane, she has cute kissable pink lips. But he doesn't trust her. She's wearing a black tank top with a jean jacket, fitted jeans, black combat boots, and a necklace with the letter D on it. She's got a backpack on with a few supplies and an empty gun holster on her thigh. It's got one strap hanging down from where its attached to her belt and two straps fastened around her thigh.

The first few days she spends most of her time working. She fixes a problem with one of the cars, helps to cook and do laundry. She does chores on the farm for Hershel and helps him take care of a sick horse. She's proving herself to be a useful part of the group.

She doesn't go into much detail about her past or her group but people are starting to trust her. The men don't say much to her but the women act friendly. She's starting to find a place there with them though she doesn't know how long it will last.

It's been so long since she's had a group, since she's had a safe place to stay. It's so nice there on the farm. Most days are fairly peaceful. It's the nicest place she's been in a long time. So she tries to enjoy it as much as possible because nothing good lasts forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I began writing this story in 2014 and am still currently writing it so I believe my writing does improve and change over the course of this story. I ask you to keep that in mind when commenting on the story and look forward to feedback. I haven't posted anything on mibba in a long time now. This story can also be found on my A03 and the cover I'm using here is my original drawing of the main character Delilah.