Give Me Your Heart

00: The Best Thing For Us Both

“You’re sure about this, aren’t you?”

Riley, who sat on the end of her bed, shrugged, her blue eyes watching Gerard’s feet as he paced the room. He had been doing it for a little while, after they’d returned from dinner, the mood in the apartment had shifted, and she knew that it made him a little uncomfortable, hence why he paced. It had always been a nervous tell of his.

“Riley, I am going to need you to say something” Gerard encouraged “You sitting there saying nothing is not helping” he added, moving to kneel ahead of her, his blue eyes levelling with hers.

“What do you want me to say, Gerard?” Riley murmured softly.

“Anything would do” Gerard noted softly “Riley, we’re on the verge of breaking up here, I need you to tell me what it is you want” he insisted gently. It had been coming for a while, what had started off as a wonderful relationship had quickly become tired and difficult, and neither of them seemed to know how to make it work. They had tried, for a while, they had worked at making things better between them, but after almost 2 months of hard work, both of them knew the decision to end things was the right one, even if it did sting a little, they knew that it was the best call they could make.

Riley, who was attempting to look anywhere but at him, sighed. “I don’t quite know what to say, Gerard” she murmured softly.

Gerard offered her a soft look before he carefully pushed himself up, taking the spot beside her. “I’m sorry that this has happened, Riley” he murmured softly.

Riley sniffled a little before she shifted, moving to rest her head against his shoulder. “It’s OK” she murmured softly “We gave it all we had, didn’t we?” she posed.

Gerard nodded. “We did” he confirmed.

“Where are you going to go?” Riley murmured after a few seconds of quiet. It had been a whirlwind, only 2 months after they’d started to date, they’d moved in together, and Riley was certain that it was a contributing factor. They’d done a lot of things too quickly and she was sure that that was the reason things had gotten too much so soon.

“I will head to hotel for a few days. I am sure I will be able to find an apartment or a house pretty soon” Gerard noted “And as soon as I do, I will send someone over to pick up the rest of my stuff. You don’t have to worry” he insisted softly.

Riley nodded her head softly.

“I am sorry, Riley” Gerard murmured gently, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

“You have nothing to be sorry for” Riley insisted gently “We both got into this mess and this is the right decision, we both know it. If we keep going, we’re going to wreck it and I don’t want to do that. I don’t want to be upset or angry with you, Gerard” she explained as she tilted her head, peeking up at him gently.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he ducked his head, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. Riley startled a little at the feel of it, but quickly closed her eyes, her fingers weaving into his hair in an attempt to pull him a little closer. “I love you” Gerard murmured gently as he pulled away from her, his forehead resting against hers.

Riley quirked a small half smile before she pecked his lips briefly, moving to pull herself away from him. “You should start packing” she muttered gently “It’s getting late and you ought to…”Riley’s words fell away as Gerard leant towards her, stealing another soft kiss that she was quick to melt into, something which made Gerard smile a little.

“Do you think I can stay another night?” he posed softly as he carefully pulled away from her.

“You want to?” Riley posed, a slight frown on her face.

Gerard nodded his head gently before he stretched his hand up, resting it against her cheek. “I am sure that I want to” he insisted gently.

Riley leant into him slightly, relishing the contact, before she spared a small nod, something which made him quirk a smile before he leant in, pressing another soft kiss against her lips. Riley leant into him, kissing him gently whilst her hands worked at the buttons on the shirt he wore, something he was more than eager to help her with. “You know I love you too, don’t you?” she murmured as she pulled away from him slightly.

Gerard nodded. “I do” he confirmed softly.

“I am sorry that we can’t seem to figure this out” Riley mumbled “I wish…”

“I know you do” Gerard interjected “And I do too, but we both know that, at least right now, this is the best decision for us both. It’s not working, nena and you know it too” he murmured.

Riley looked up at him, her expression soft, before she nodded her head. She knew that he was right. It was the best decision for both of them, but still the idea of ending things hurt her a little. She had thought that they were onto something special and the idea that it was ending after just 6 months hurt a lot, even if it was the best decision for the two of them, a big part of her was going to miss him.

“Do you think we can stop thinking for a little while?” Gerard quipped, his thumb softly brushing along her cheekbone, removing the few loose tears that had fallen out of her eyes.

Riley sniffed a little, but nodded, sparing him a half-hearted smile which made him lean down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. He knew that it was going to hurt for a little while, he and Riley had been serious for a while and it was going to take a little getting used to, the idea of not being around her, but he knew that it was the best decision for them both, even if it did hurt in that moment, he knew that it was the right call.

Shifting a little, he carefully tilted Riley’s head back and pressed another soft kiss against her lips, something Riley eagerly responded to, determined to enjoy the last night that they were spend together.