Give Me Your Heart

12: Progressing Well

Letting out a small groan, Riley rested her head against the side of the bath, trying her hardest to swallow the sensation of nausea that washed over her. It was the first in a while, for a couple of weeks, the signs had suggested that her morning sickness was finally wearing off, but when she had woken up that morning, she hadn’t been able to stop herself from throwing up. Sparing a small groan, she pushed her dark hair off of her face before she pushed herself up, moving to splash a little cool water over her face.

“I thought you were over the morning sickness?”

Riley, who’d moved to brush her teeth, startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice, something which made the defender chuckle. “I didn’t mean to sneak up on you. I know how much you hate it” he teased.

“How’d you get in here?” Riley posed as she moved to rinse her mouth.

“Cassidy let me in on her way out” Gerard mused, leaning against the door frame “We’re due to see Alison this morning and I thought you’d want a lift. I figured we could go and get breakfast beforehand” he suggested gently. It had been a while, Riley was approaching 16 weeks pregnant, and whilst things were still a little awkward between the two of them, Gerard was pleased with the progress that they were making. They could talk to one another, even if they did still carefully avoid topics like their relationship and his new girlfriend, and the defender was glad that things were getting a little easier between them. The last thing he wanted was for things to be more difficult than they needed to be.

“You don’t have anywhere else you need to be?” Riley quipped as she stepped past him, making her way back towards her bedroom.

“It’s a rest day” Gerard quipped, following after her.

Riley nodded her head. “And you didn’t take advantage of the lay-in with Alexa?” she quipped, her eyes fixed on the shirt she had pulled out of her wardrobe. It was a still a sore subject, even if Riley had met Alexa, she still didn’t like talking about it, but she was trying to get better at it. From the way Gerard looked whenever Alexa texted, she had a feeling the other woman was going to be around for a while.

“She’s away for a few days” Gerard quipped.

Riley nodded her head gently before she lifted her eyes. “Could you step outside for a second?” she noted “I need to get dressed” she added.

Gerard quirked a grin, thinking about offering her a cheeky retort, before he nodded his head, stepping out of the room. Riley glanced after him for a moment before she moved to get changed. It was getting better, after a few weeks of spending time around one another, the dynamic between her and Gerard seemed to have made marked improvements, but still she felt a little uncomfortable around him, something she doubted was going to go away easily.

~#~
“How did your friends take the news?” Riley posed as she rested back into her seat, stretching her legs out a little ahead of her.

Gerard, who was flicking through a pamphlet, smiled a little. “They seemed pretty happy for us” he noted gently “I mean, there were a few mumbles, but overall, everyone seemed to be excited for us, so much so, you ought to be prepared for them to visit. I managed to convince them to hold off for a while, but Leo says that Antonella is itching to talk all things pregnancy with you” he enthused.

Riley rolled her eyes. “She won’t be the first. It’s been what, a month since we told our parents and nearly every day I get a text from my mother or a call from yours. It’s a little overwhelming” she quipped. She knew that they meant well, both Audrey and Montserrat were determined to be as helpful as they could be in the run up to the baby’s arrival, but for a little while, Riley merely wanted them to calm down. They were still a long way off the baby arriving and for a couple of months, she merely wanted to keep things as quiet and as calm as they could be.

Gerard smiled. “They’re excited” he enthused gently “Surely you’re glad that they’re like that rather than upset?” he quipped.

“I am” Riley noted “But I could do without someone fussing the whole time. I’m barely 4 months in, we’ve still got a way to go yet” she explained softly. She was happy, for a while, she had been convinced that her parents in particular would take the news of the impending arrival badly, and she was happy that they were excited, but for a little while, she merely wanted people to calm down. They were a still a while away from the baby’s arrival and Riley merely wanted it to be relaxed and calm.

Gerard smiled a little, admiring the slight pout she wore before he reached out his hand, squeezing hers gently. “If you want me to, I can talk them” he noted softly.

Riley shook her head. “You don’t have to do that” she noted.

Gerard smiled. “I want you to be comfortable” he noted gently “You’re carrying something pretty important and I want to ensure that the next few months are as easy for you as they can be. You need me to talk to them, I will. You need me to paint a nursery, I am your guy. You just say the word, Riley, and I can do it, OK?” he mused gently.

Riley studied the sincere expression on his face before she shook her head, something which made him smile a little. “You’re going to get my help even if you don’t want it, you know” he teased.

Riley rolled her eyes a little before Alison appeared, inviting them into the cubicle which stood a little away from them. “How are we doing today, Riley?” the midwife posed as she moved to offer the brunette a seat.

“I felt a little sick this morning” Riley quipped, her hands nervously fiddling in her lap “But it was the first time in a while so I am glad that it appears to be wearing off” she added.

“It should be by now” Alison mused “You’re a little into the second trimester now so things should get a little easier. We’re due to see you for a scan next month, aren’t we?” she posed.

Riley nodded. “My 20-week scan” she enthused excitedly.

Gerard, who was sat beside her, smiled a little. It was the most excited he had seen her in a while and he had to admit that he liked it on her. He’d always liked the way she smiled when she was excited. Leaning forwards in his seat, he moved to place his hand over Riley’s and offered it a little squeeze, something which made the brunette’s cheeks tint a little pink.

“I’ll obviously be able to tell you a little more next month, but from the checks we’ve run, things are looking good with bump” Alison smiled gently.

“You’re sure?” Riley posed.

Alison smiled. “Bump’s progressing as well as we would expect, Riley” she enthused gently.

Riley offered her a slightly hesitant look before Gerard squeezed her hand once more, offering her a little reassurance. They still had a way to go, Riley was still a little short of half way through her pregnancy, but Gerard was determined. He wanted to make the next few months as easy as he could on Riley and their bump.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)