Give Me Your Heart

26: Going Nowhere

Adjusting his kit bag on his shoulder, Gerard spared a small yawn into his hand, his eyes peeking at the door of Riley’s apartment. It was late, after the team’s win against Sporting Gijon, they’d not made it back to Barcelona before it was late, but still Gerard had opted to travel to Riley’s home, wanting to ensure that she was alright.

It had been rushed, after her parents visit, he’d had to leave in order to make the trip with the team, but he wanted to check in on her, even if she had insisted that it was OK, he wanted to make sure. Lifting his hand, he tapped the door briefly before he stepped back, listening to the distant footsteps from inside the apartment that drew closer to the door.

“It’s almost midnight” Riley grumbled as she pulled the door open, her blue eyes glaring up at the defender.

“I know what time it is” Gerard replied “But I was hoping you’d let me in. I did come all the way here” he teased, offering her a warm smile.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look before she stepped out of the door, allowing him to step inside after her. “You’re up late” he quipped as he followed after her towards her bedroom.

Riley nodded. “I was watching a film on TV” she quipped “It finished about 10 minutes ago and I was just about to go to bed when you knocked” she added, moving to settle down on the bed.

Gerard nodded his head quietly, something which made Riley shake her head, a slightly amused grin on her face. “Are you going to tell me why you’re here?” she posed softly. she wasn’t entirely surprised, after the visit of her parents that morning, Gerard had been a little reluctant when it came to leaving, and she wasn’t entirely surprised to see him, even if it was late, a part of her was a little touched that he wanted to check in on her.

“I wanted to check in on you” Gerard noted gently “This morning was tense to say the least and I wanted to make sure that you were OK” he added.

Riley smiled. “I told you this morning that I was” she quipped.

“You did” Gerard confirmed “But you were crying at the time, so excuse me for being a little dubious as to whether or not you actually meant it” he added as he moved to sit beside her, a boyish smile on his face.

Riley shook her head. “It hurt me” she mumbled softly “I knew that they would be pissed, they’d never made an attempt to hide the fact that they weren’t keen on you, but I thought that they’d be more accepting than they were. This isn’t just some stupid whim, Gerard” she added, her fingers tugging at the duvet slightly.

Gerard watched her for a second before he reached out, taking a hold of the hand which pulled at the sheet. “You know that, right now, you don’t them, don’t you?” he posed softly. He knew that it was big deal, even if Luis and Audrey had never been the most hands on, they were still Riley’s parents, but he wanted to reassure her. With or without them, she had people around her that were more than happy to help her out and he wanted to ensure that she knew it.

Riley snorted. “They are my parents” she noted softly.

“They are” Gerard confirmed “But right now, we’ve got something a little bigger on our plate than worrying about them and the fact that they don’t like me” he enthused as he stretched his hand out, resting it against her bump.

Riley glanced at his hand before she shuffled a little closer, resting her head on his shoulder.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” he posed softly after a second of quiet.

“I’ve got work tomorrow morning” Riley noted gently “But I should be finished at about 2. Why?” she posed, sparing a small yawn into her hand.

“You were supposed to go baby shopping today” Gerard noted “I was thinking that you and I could go tomorrow, even if we do have to put it all at my place until we find you somewhere. He’s going to need a few things” he noted, his thumb gently brushing over the slither of skin he’d exposed from the bottom of her shirt.

“You want to go baby shopping?” Riley teased, a slightly amused smile on her face.

Gerard nodded enthusiastically. “I’d love to go” he grinned.

Riley admired the expression on his face before she turned her head, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “I’d love to go with you” she enthused.

Gerard smiled. “Perhaps we can get a late lunch first. I know that Antonella has been on at Leo to set something up with the two of us” he mused.

Riley nodded. “I like the sound of that” she agreed before she spared another yawn into her hand.

Gerard watched her for a second before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head. “You should get some sleep” he noted softly “You’ve had a long day” he added.

Riley nodded gently before she moved to curl up against her pillow, something which caused Gerard to push himself to his feet, shuffling a little away from the bed.

“You’re going?” she peeped.

Gerard, who had his back to her, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he turned back to face her, offering her a small shake of his head. “I can stay if you’d like” he offered.

Riley nodded. “I’d like you to” she mused softly.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he shuffled out of his jeans, moving to take the spot on the other side of her bed.

Riley watched him sleepily before she shifted a little closer to him, encouraging him to wrap an arm around her waist. “You know I’m going nowhere, don’t you?” he mumbled as she cuddled into his side.

Riley nodded. “I know” she returned gently.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head, listening to the soft sound of her breathing. He knew that it was going to cause problems, Riley’s parents had never been the type of people to make things easy, but he knew that he wasn’t going to let it get in the way. He cared for Riley, and for their bump, and he wasn’t going to let anyone get in the way of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)