Give Me Your Heart

29: It’s Been A While

Placing the last of his things into his kit bag, Gerard moved to push his locker closed, his eyes catching briefly on the sonogram picture which was taped to the inside of the door. It was a recent one, every time that he and Riley visited their midwife for an ultrasound, the brunette insisted that he take one to place in his locker, and every time he saw it, it earned a small smile on his face. He knew that they were still a little away from the due date, since he’d attended his first midwife appointment with Riley, he’d been marking the days off as they’d past, and as the date drew closer, he grew to be a little more excited, something which hadn’t gone unnoticed by those around him.

“You look happy” Neymar teased as he padded past the defender “You have big plans for this afternoon?” he added, padding towards his own locker.

Gerard, who’d moved to lift his bag onto his shoulder, shrugged. “Not particularly. I’m due to head out to lunch with my parents and Riley” he added, the slightest of smiles pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Neymar offered the defender a look before he shook his head, an amused grin on his face. “You know you smile whenever you say ‘Riley’ right?” he teased as he moved to pull off his shirt. It was a recent occurrence, after the news of Gerard’s reconciliation with the pregnant brunette had filtered through the dressing room, the defender had seemed a lot brighter, and the others couldn’t resist teasing him a little. It had been a while since he had seemed genuinely excited or cheerful.

Gerard, who’d moved to check his phone, rolled his eyes. “I do not” he argued.

Neymar scoffed. “You do” he countered “And everyone’s noticed. Andres, doesn’t Gerard smile whenever he mentions his girlfriend?” he added, his eyes glancing towards the other Spaniard who stood a little away from them, getting changed.

Andres nodded. “Like a little kid on Christmas” he noted “It’s kind of sweet” he added with a smirk towards the taller Spaniard.

Gerard rolled his eyes a little before he padded towards the door, something which made Neymar chuckle a little. “We’re happy for you” he teased as Gerard stepped out of the room, shaking his head slightly.

~#~
“You’re late”

Gerard, who’d just stepped into the restaurant, startled a little at the sound of Riley’s voice, causing him to whip around, an apologetic smile on his face. “Lo siento” he mumbled “I got caught in traffic. Are my parents here yet?” he posed, not missing the small pout on her face. It wasn’t a surprise, even despite the fact that his parents had always liked Riley, she had always been a little nervous around them, and he felt bad about leaving her alone with them, even if they were likely to be pleasant to her, he knew just how uncomfortable it made her.

Riley offered him a small look before she nodded. “They were here before me” she confirmed softly “They’ve already got us a table” she added.

Gerard nodded his head. “You sure that you still want to do this?” he posed as he moved to take her hand, offering it a slight squeeze.

Riley nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly “They merely want a chance to fuss over this and I don’t want to deny them it. It will be nice after the way my parents handled it” she enthused with a small smile.

Gerard studied her expression for a moment before he led her towards the table that his parents had chosen, greeting the older couple with a soft smile. “Mama, padre” he mused.

“You finally made it, Gerard” Montserrat teased “I was starting to think you’d stood us up” she added as she pushed herself to her feet.

Gerard shook his head. “I got a little caught up” he noted as she pulled him into a soft hug “But I am here now, right?” he teased.

Montserrat rolled her eyes a little before she moved to retake her seat, her eyes glancing a little at Riley who sat across from her, nervously fiddling with the napkin in her lap. It wasn’t a surprise, from the moment that Gerard had informed her of Riley’s pregnancy, their reconciliation had been inevitable, but she was pleased to see them together, even if Riley did appear a little shy, she was pleased to see that the two of them had figured out whatever had been wrong with their relationship first time around. “How is the nursery coming along, Gerard?” she posed.

Gerard, who’d moved to pour himself a glass of water, smiled. “It’s almost done” he confirmed “All that’s left is to build the crib and then it will be ready” he enthused.

“And what about you, Riley?” Joan posed “Have you thought about where you’re going to live?” he added.

Riley nodded. “I’ve got it narrowed down to a couple of places” she confirmed softly “I’ve got viewings in the next couple of days and I was hoping that Gerard could come along to check them out with me” she added with a hopeful look towards her boyfriend.

Gerard nodded. “Of course I will” he noted, offering her a small smile. It was a step forwards, for a while, Riley had rejected the idea that she needed to find somewhere else to live, but he was pleased that she was coming around, even if she wasn’t warming to the idea of moving in with him yet, he was merely glad that she intent on finding somewhere which had enough space for her and for their son.

Montserrat watched the small interaction for a moment before she shook her head, a warm smile appearing on her face. It had been a while, after their first breakup, Montserrat had been a little concerned that Gerard had let go of something good, but she was glad that he and Riley had figured it out, even if it had only come about because of Riley’s pregnancy, she doubted she had seen the two of them happier in a while.

~#~
“I’ll see you in a couple of weeks for Riley’s baby shower, right?” Montserrat posed as she pressed a kiss to her son’s cheek. It had been a pleasant afternoon, despite Riley’s nerves, the older couple had enjoyed spending time with her and Gerard, and the defender was glad. With Riley’s parents seemingly intent on keeping their distance, he wanted to ensure that Riley had someone to turn to just in case she needed it.

“You will” Gerard confirmed “Adios, mama” he added.

Montserrat offered him a warm smile before padded towards her husband, allowing Riley to pad to Gerard’s side. “You ready to go?” she posed.

Gerard nodded. “You want me to take you back to yours?” he posed, moving to take her hand.

Riley offered him a little shrug. “I’ve not really got plans for this afternoon” she noted as they padded towards his car.

Gerard opened his mouth to retort, but was cut off by the sound of someone calling his name, something which caused him to turn around slightly, his eyes widening a fraction as he spotted Alexa padding towards them, a grin on her face. “Gerard, it is you” she enthused brightly.

Gerard blinked a couple of times before he felt Riley slip her hand from his, something which didn’t go unnoticed by Alexa who offered the brunette a small look before she flicked her attention back to Gerard, offer him a wide grin. “It’s been a while” she enthused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)