Give Me Your Heart

43: Drunken Admissions

“Are you sure that you don’t want to come with me?”

Riley, who was sat in the seat beside Alexander’s crib, smiled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she turned, offering him a soft shake of the head. It had been a little while, after Alexander had arrived, almost a month had passed, and with Barcelona due to play Granada that night in a match which would decide the outcome of the title race, Gerard had spent a few days attempting to convince Riley to travel with the team, wanting both her and Alexander around should the result go their way.

Riley, who had Alexander cuddled into her arms, shook her head. “We agreed that we would go to the cup final next week and not go tonight” she noted gently, not wanting to disturb the baby who snoozed happily.

“I know” Gerard noted “But I was simply offering. You know I’d love you there” he noted gently. He knew that it made sense, with Alexander only being small, he and Riley had agreed that the little boy would attend the final of the Copa Del Rey rather than the match against Granada, but still the defender wanted to ask. Part of him wanted the little boy around to see him succeed.

“I know that” Riley noted softly “But he will be there next week and then you will be able to celebrate with him. As for tonight, we’ll be watching on TV” she enthused softly.

Gerard offered her a slight look before he nodded. “You’re definitely coming to Madrid?” he posed as he stepped a little deeper into the room.

“I promised that we would” Riley confirmed “Good luck tonight, amor” she mused as she leant up, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

Gerard smiled a little at the contact before he ducked his head, pressing a kiss to the top of Alexander’s head, something which made Riley smile slightly. They were still getting used to it, even despite a month having past, it was still a little odd for her and Gerard to have Alexander around, but Riley adored it, even if it had taken a little adaptation, things between the three of them seemed settled.

“Adios, little one” Gerard mumbled softly “And adios, nena” he added, pressing a light kiss against her lips.

Riley offered him a small grin before she nudged him towards the door, something which made him shake his head a little. “I’ll be home tonight” he insisted gently.

“And we will see you then” Riley mused “Good luck” she added with an encouraging smile.

Gerard eyed the smile on her face for moment before he willed himself away, knowing that if he didn’t, he would find himself in trouble for missing the team’s flight.

~#~
Stumbling a little, Gerard placed his key into the lock, a slightly tipsy grin on his face. It had been a tough match, with Barcelona needing to match the result of Real Madrid, the team had appeared a little tense to start with, but thanks to a hat trick from Luis Suarez, they’d retained their title, something which had caused more than a few celebrations on the trip home.

Twisting the key, he unlocked the door before he padded into the house, closing it behind him with an audible thump. It was late, after a night of celebrating, Gerard hadn’t made it home until well after midnight, and he doubted that Riley would have waited up for him, even if he was a little desperate to see her, he was confident that she would be safely tucked up in her bed. Dropping his bag, he kicked it aside before he padded towards the stairs, taking a few wobbly steps before the hall light flicked on, causing him to flinch a little.

“You finally made it home then?”

Blinking a little, Gerard turned his head, his blue eyes settling on Riley who stood at the top of the stairs, an amused grin on her face. “What are you doing up?” he posed.

“You were hardly quiet” Riley quipped, climbing down a few of the stairs “And I was checking on Alex. You do know what time it is?” she posed.

Gerard nodded. “It’s late” he quipped impishly “I should have called” he added, a frown pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Riley giggled a little at the look on his face before she rolled her eyes. “It’s fine” she mused “You look as though you’ve had a good time” she added.

Gerard grinned. “We won, nena” he babbled happily.

“You did” Riley grinned as she moved to take his hand, leading him up the stairs “Congratulations” she added as she guided him towards their bedroom.

Gerard followed after her for a few steps before he placed his hands on her hips, turning her to look up at him. “Did you watch?” he posed softly.

“We did” Riley confirmed “I even dressed Alex in that shirt you bought for him. I’ve got a picture…” Riley’s words fell away as Gerard ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against her lips which caught her off guard. Stumbling a little, she wrapped her arms around his neck before she carefully pulled away, offering a small smile. “I’m so proud of you” she murmured softly.

Gerard smiled. “Gracias, nena” he noted softly “And I am sorry that didn’t call. After the match, we got a little carried away” he added.

“I know” Riley noted “You smell like you took a bath in champagne or something” she quipped, wrinkling her nose a little.

Gerard quirked a slightly amused smile before he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. Riley squeaked a little at the hug and tried to wriggle away, something which made Gerard smile a little. Watching her amusedly, he dropped his arms from around her before he carefully pressed a kiss to the top of her head. It still felt a little odd, the idea that he and Riley lived together, but it was something he was growing to. He liked having her around, he liked spending time with her, and whilst he knew that she was still a little uncertain about them, he hoped it marked the start of the relationship moving forwards.

Smiling, he carefully pulled away from her before he took her hand. “I love you” he babbled happily.

“I’d like to hope so” Riley teased “If not, this is a huge waste of time” she added.

Gerard shook his head. “It’s not” he insisted firmly.

“I was kidding” Riley quipped as she moved to pull away from him “I know you love me and I love you too” she quipped as she padded back towards her side of the bed.

Gerard watched her for a second before he sat down beside her. “You know, I want to marry you” he mused as he rested his head back against his pillow.

Riley, who’d moved to get comfortable, sat up, her eyes a little wide. “What?” she squeaked.

Gerard, who’d closed his eyes, shrugged. “I want to marry you one day, Ry” he babbled softly before he turned onto his side, allowing his snores the fill the air.

Riley blinked a couple of times before she rested back against the pillow, her eyes staring up the ceiling. It was the first time, even despite the fact that they had dated before, it was the first time the topic of marriage had arisen, and Riley didn’t quite know how to react, even if it was likely that it was just some drunken rambling on Gerard’s part, she didn’t quite know how to feel about the idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)