Give Me Your Heart

48: Waiting For The Right Time

Shifting a little, Gerard wrinkled his nose, his ears doused by the irritating sound of a phone vibrating against the top of the end table which stood a little away from him. It was early, after the team’s arrival in France, they’d been given the morning off to adjust before they started training that afternoon, and Gerard had intended to use the time to sleep in a little, something the sound of the phone was preventing. Letting out a small huff, he tossed onto his side before he moved to place his pillow over his ear, trying to block the noise out for a moment before the pillow was pulled away from him, causing him to glare up at Cesc Fabregas. “What are you doing?” he grumbled as he sat up.

“It’s your phone” Cesc quipped, tossing the pillow back on the bed “And it’s been ringing for too long. It’s Riley” he added before he padded back towards his bed.

Gerard offered him a slight glare before he stretched his hand out, collecting his phone from the side. “Hola” he breathed as he rested his head back against the pillow.

“Did I wake you?” Riley posed gently.

“No” Gerard replied “I should be up by now anyway. You’re calling early” he noted as he moved to shuffle to his feet. It had been a little while, with Spain having played against Georgia a few days previous, Gerard hadn’t seen Riley face to face in almost a week, but they had planned for it, something which had made it a little easier. It was unfamiliar, since Alexander had arrived, the two of them had gotten used to seeing one another all of the time, but Gerard was sure it would get a little easier, even if it did take time, he was sure that both he and Riley would learn to cope with being apart for a while.

“I am” Riley agreed “But I am going to be spending the day with my parents and I wanted to warn you that I might miss our video chat tonight. I didn’t want you thinking that I was avoiding you” she mused softly.

Gerard, who’d padded out of the bedroom, plopped onto the couch, a small smile on his face. “Aren’t you thoughtful?” he teased.

Riley snorted. “I could have not told you” she quipped in tone which made Gerard sure she was rolling her eyes.

Gerard chuckled. “I am glad that you did, nena” he mused “Though, I am a little disappointed. I like saying goodnight to Alex” he added as he moved to rest his head against the back of the couch.

“I’ll try and get back on time” Riley noted gently “But you know how my mother can be. She’s got a whole day planned for me and Alex and I don’t want to deny her the chance to play the doting grandmother. She’s been itching to spend time with me and Alex since he came along” she explained softly.

“I know” Gerard noted softly “And as wary as I am of your parents, I am glad that there’s someone looking out for you two” he noted gently. It didn’t sit well with him, even despite Luis’ attempts to make amends, Gerard was still wary that both Luis and Audrey posed a threat to his relationship with Riley, but he was glad that there was someone looking out for the two of them, even if it was her parents. He liked the idea that there was someone keeping an eye on her and Alexander.

Riley made another sound into the phone before Alexander’s cries echoed, something which made Gerard smile. “I think someone would like his mama’s attention” he teased softly.

“I should go and get him” Riley noted “I’ll call you when I can?” she posed softly.

“I already can’t wait” Gerard teased, a grin on his face.

“You’re so dorky” Riley quipped.

“But you love me for it” Gerard teased gently.

Riley spared a laugh into phone. “I do love you” she confirmed softly.

“And I love you” Gerard agreed softly “Now, you ought to go and check on Alex. I’ll speak to you soon, nena” he mused softly.

“Adios, Gerard” Riley quipped before she hung up the phone, something which caused Gerard to pull it away from his ear, settling it on the coffee table which sat ahead of him.

“What did she want?” Cesc posed as he padded into the room, plopping down into the seat beside the defender.

Gerard, who’d been staring into space, shrugged. “She just wanted to let me know that she might not be able to make our video call tonight. She didn’t want me worrying” he mused, a little smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Cesc admired the smile on his friend’s face before he shook his head, nudging the defender’s ribs. “Look at you” he teased “You’re all smitten” he added.

Gerard scoffed. “So what if I am?” he quipped.

“It’s just a change” Cesc quipped, shrugging a little “It wasn’t that long ago that you were dating Alexa and now look at you. You and Riley…it’s been good for you” he enthused gently.

“You think?” Gerard posed, resting his head back against the couch.

“You’re less of a pain” Cesc noted, a smirk on his face.

Gerard rolled his eyes, something which made Cesc laugh a little. “Seriously, hombre, she’s good for you and I hope you’ve learnt your lesson when it comes to letting her go. She can be a pain, but she’s good for you, and I hope you know better than to mess it up again” he quipped gently. He didn’t doubt it, for the months that Gerard and Riley had been back together, the defender had seemed happier, but still Cesc wanted to offer him a word of advice. Riley was good for him and he would have been a fool to mess it up for a second time.

Gerard, who was staring up at the ceiling, shook his head. “I am not going to let her go again” he noted softly “In fact, I am going to end up proposing to her one day soon” he quipped.

“You are?” Cesc posed.

Gerard leant forwards slightly and nodded, a small smile on his face. “I’ve got the ring picked out and everything” he admitted, a sheepish expression on his face “I am merely waiting for the right time. Riley’s a little wary about moving too quickly, but I don’t think it will be much longer” he mused. He knew that he had to be patient, after the slight wobble Riley had had when the topic of marriage had arisen, he knew that he had to be tentative, but he doubted that it would be much longer. He knew what he wanted, what he had wanted for a while, and he had little doubt that he would end up proposing to her, even if he did have to wait to find the right moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)