Give Me Your Heart

49: We Want You To Be Happy

“Are you ready to go, Ry?”

Riley, who’d been pulling her shoes onto her feet, nodded, offering a small smile towards her mother who stood in the door way. it had been arranged for a little while, with Gerard out in France ahead of the start of the European Championships, Audrey had been insistent about spending a little more time with her daughter and grandson, and whilst Riley was a little nervous about the possibility of her parents trying to meddle in her relationship, she was looking forwards to spending time with them, something she hadn’t done much of since Alexander had arrived. “I am” she confirmed “Where’s Alex?” she posed.

“Your papa is watching him” Audrey mused with a soft smile “He’s not stopped fussing over him since we got here” she added warmly. It was rare, since Alexander had arrived, Audrey and Luis had kept back a little, not wanting to crowd Riley and Gerard, but with the defender away, she and her husband were determined to make the most of it. They wanted to spend time with Riley, and with Alexander, and wanted it to feel relaxed and familiar rather than tense.

Riley, who’d moved to collect her jacket, smiled. “I don’t exactly imagine papa as the fussing type” she teased.

“Normally, he isn’t” Audrey mused as she led Riley out of the bedroom “But this is his first grandchild. I think he’s going to want to fuss over him for a little while” she added.

“You know that you’re welcome to come by any time, don’t you?” Riley posed as they padded towards the living room.

Audrey offered her a soft look before she nodded, pulling Riley to a stop just outside of the living room. “We know that” she confirmed softly “But for a little while, we wanted to leave you and Gerard to it. It’s no secret that me, your papa and your boyfriend don’t exactly see eye to eye and we didn’t want to be a problem” she explained gently. It wasn’t a secret, despite the fact that Gerard was the father of their grandchild, neither Audrey nor Luis was particularly keen on him, but they hadn’t wanted to cause an issue. Regardless of what they thought of the defender, Riley adored him and Audrey doubted there was much that she or her husband could say to change her mind. Riley had a stubborn streak and Audrey was sure the more they tried to push her away from Gerard, the more Riley would want him.

Riley thought for a moment, mulling over her mother’s words, before she shook her head, her blue eyes peeking at her mother slightly. “You know he’s not going anywhere, don’t you?” she posed gently.

“We do” Audrey confirmed “And whilst he’s not our favourite person, we know that you care about him and that is enough for us” she enthused with a small smile.

Riley quirked a small before the sound of Alexander’s cries echoed, pulling her attention towards the doorway where her father stood, the baby in his arms. “I don’t think he is used to me” Luis quipped.

Riley offered him a small smile before she stepped closed to him, taking Alexander into her arms. “I’ll go and get him changed and then we can go” she mused softly.

“We’ll be here” Audrey mused.

Riley flashed them both another soft smile before she stepped away, leaving her parents alone for a moment. “Is she still sure about him?” Luis posed.

Audrey snorted. “That’s an understatement. I think we might need to consider the idea that he could be asking you for your permission to marry her before long” she quipped with a small shake of her head. She knew that there was no changing it, Riley was in love and there was little she or her husband could do to change her mind, but still Audrey worried. She didn’t trust Gerard, not entirely, and she worried that things were moving too swiftly, something which worried her. The last thing she wanted was to watch her daughter, or her son, get hurt.

~#~
“So, how are you?” Luis posed as he moved to place a bottle of water ahead of Riley. It had been a pleasant morning, despite Riley’s slightly hesitation, she and Alexander seemed to have enjoyed themselves, and it pleased Luis. He had been worried that his daughter would try and shy away from him and his wife.

Riley, who’d been messing with the last of her sandwich, smiled. “I’m fine, papa” she noted gently “It’s still a little odd, having Alex around, but I am slowly getting used to it and I like to think I am doing OK” she added.

“You’re doing better than OK” Luis mused “He’s a happy little boy, Ry, and I imagine that’s on you” he enthused with a grin.

Riley shook her head a little, something which made Luis smile. “You’re doing a brilliant job, sweetheart” he enthused brightly.

“Gracias, papa” Riley quipped softly.

Luis smiled at her gently before he reached his hand across the table, squeezing hers softly. “How are you and Gerard doing?” he posed gently.

Riley shook her head. “I don’t want to keep having to have this conversation, papa” she noted softly.

“I know” Luis noted “And I don’t want to either, but I just want to make sure. This isn’t just some fling anymore, you have a child together, and I want to be sure about you two. I don’t want to see you hurt again, Riley” he insisted gently. He knew that she was frustrated, for a while, both he and his wife had been particularly wary about the defender, but he wanted to be sure. Chances were that Gerard was going to be the man Riley ended up married to and he wanted to be sure that he could put his faith in him. He wanted to be sure that Riley was sure about him.

Riley mulled her father’s words over for a moment before she shook her head. “It’s wonderful, papa” she noted softly “I was worried, after last time, I was almost certain that we’d find a way to mess it up again, but thus far, we haven’t, and I like how we are. It has had its moments, sometimes I worry too much about messing things up but Gerard…I love him, papa, I really do, and I need for that to be enough for you and mama. I know you don’t like him, you’ve never hidden that, but you’re right, this isn’t just some fling anymore. This is serious, papa, and I need to know that you and madre are OK with that” she insisted gently.

Luis watched her for a moment before he quirked a small smile, not missing the emotion on her face. “You’re really smitten with this guy, aren’t you?” he teased softly.

Riley rolled her eyes. “Papa” she warned softly.

“We’re OK with it, Riley” Luis enthused softly “I know we worry, too much sometimes, but we’re just trying to look out for you and for Alex. We want the two of you to be happy and I think, no, I know that right now, you’re happy with Gerard” he agreed softly.

Riley offered him a slightly uncertain look before she quirked a small smile. “Gracias, papa” she mused gently.

Luis offered her a warm smile before he squeezed her hand, knowing that he had to keep his word.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)